Newbie to ccw. What to carry?

Free2roam

I'm looking to be certified in the fall some time. I have been comparing guns for awhile now and it's very difficult to choose not having fired many different types, nor actually carried on person. Also not having the money to just buy anything. I currently own a s&w sigma 9 mm. It seems a bit bulky to carry in the summer time. Any educated suggestions?

9mm
Summer carry
Been in production for 1+ years
$450

Listen, I am no expert, but I have been carrying since October 2010. I can tell you that "what to carry" is as unique to each person as their choice in underwear.

For example, I carry a Glock 17 Gen 4, a Taurus PT111, and a Kel-Tec PF-9. Each of these firearms are carried when a clothing situation is dictated.

When I have winter attire, no question it's the Glock. When I have jeans and a tshirt, I carry the PT111. When I have shorts, I carry the PF-9. But that isn't always the case.

Where you go, what you do, what type of exposure you are comfortable in showing (or as your state laws allow) will dictate what you wear and what you carry.

Some times I have the Glock in the truck in a lockbox, while I carry 1 or both of the other 2.

As for which firearm suits you, you need to find a range that rents the types of firearms you want to research or own.

That is the best way to determine what you like, and what you are comfortable carrying in Condition #1.

(A loaded magazine, with a round in the chamber, ready to go)

Since you expressed a budget concern, if you have friends who shoot/own/carry the firearms you're most interested in, ask them if they'd go to the range with you to shoot.

I have to agree with remotecoder. I don't have the choices of firearms that he has but if you got it, flaunt it.
I carry a Ruger SR9 but once I get the funds I would like to buy an SR9c for easier conceal-ability in the summer.
Things to remember. The smaller & lighter the gun & the larger the caliber, the harder it is to control. It will take more practice to be proficient with this type of weapon.
With the right holster it becomes much easier to conceal a larger weapon but the deeper the concealment the more practice you need for drawing the weapon.

You should take a look at the Taurus PT1911's in 9mm. If you've never fired a 1911 with a good trigger job, you're missing out. You can pick a blued one up for a little under $500, and a SS model for a little under $600, NIB...maybe cheaper if you can find a good used one.

I've been carrying a 5" in .45acp for two years, all day every day. It conceals great. I normally wear just jeans and a t-shirt, and it doesn't print unless I'm contorted in a wierd way. Some guys don't like to carry a 1911 because they think it's too big, but I personally wouldn't carry anything different. Once you carry continuously for a few days, you won't even notice the weight.

My advice is go to a range that rents guns and shoot the different models they offer in 9mm (and .45acp :biggrin:).

You can take anyone's advice, but it would suck to go buy a new pistol and then not like it.

Good luck!

I currently have a sigma 9mm also, and I carry it all day every day, however thus weekend I will be getting a Glock 23.

I recently picked up a used (like new condition) Glock 36 that is a very nice ccw. I like .45, I like Glock reliability and I liked the $425 price with the full kit.

Preference

ITs really what u hide on u and what ur comfortable with carry. Remember though in hot months a small caliber will work fine cause ppl die faster but in cold months u need a larger caliber cause it takes longer for ppl to bleed out and die. I carry a 45. Cal in a full size Ruger but I love the bigger rounds. Good lucky

Great choice for a carry .45. Nice deal also. I put mine in a front pocket holster. But carry one of my HK's the most unless a quick errand i use my Ruger LCR .357, the G36 had some mag problems a couple years back but all now seem fine. I know few who carry the 36 and love it one is my FFL....

I recently picked up a used (like new condition) Glock 36 that is a very nice ccw. I like .45, I like Glock reliability and I liked the $425 price with the full kit.

First, if you are not going to train in malfunction drills, you should start with a Revolver. I try to tell students and especially the ladies, If you can't clear a fail to feed or a stovepipe quick and efficient you should not carry a semi-auto. Or at least carry a Revolver back up. Most people don't listen because they see on T.V. guns don't malfunction or run out of ammo. I stopped giving CCW Classes because people think they know it all and don't listen. You can't believe the Guys that want their Wife to carry a semi-auto Even if they can't work the slide. They feel if they load it and have it ready to go It's O.K. for them to carry it. I tried to tell people, you need to practice. Know your firearm. They promise you the world and off they go. I didn't have control of the class and was only a helper. That was enough for me. I got out.

Try many, choose one. The one that works best for you will be unique like you are. It will speak to you on some level. What you're listening for is up to you and you'll know it when you hear the right words spoken.. "Get a Glock" is the common response on many forums. For you however, a small J frame S&W revolver could be the proper choice... Do some research and feel free to ask for "opinions".

Best of Luck... Update us when you have chosen.

First, if you are not going to train in malfunction drills, you should start with a Revolver. I try to tell students and especially the ladies, If you can't clear a fail to feed or a stovepipe quick and efficient you should not carry a semi-auto. Or at least carry a Revolver back up. Most people don't listen because they see on T.V. guns don't malfunction or run out of ammo. I stopped giving CCW Classes because people think they know it all and don't listen. You can't believe the Guys that want their Wife to carry a semi-auto Even if they can't work the slide. They feel if they load it and have it ready to go It's O.K. for them to carry it. I tried to tell people, you need to practice. Know your firearm. They promise you the world and off they go. I didn't have control of the class and was only a helper. That was enough for me. I got out.

Words of wisdom... They (firearms) are tools.. Nothing more or less. Learn when and how to use them...

Clearing a type 1, 2, or 3 malfunction is a skill.. Double action revolvers can have type 1 malfunctions, (type 2 and 3 are exclusive to semi autos) clearing it is as simple as pulling the trigger again.

It is possible to have mechanical malfunctions with revolvers also, so care should be taken to learn recovery procedures.

Training...

As stated before its all personal preference, I carry an xdm 40 full size and no one knows it. I true compacts and subcompacts that I have only shot a couple of times (not very well by the way) but its only because my pinky hangs in la la land. They say the smaller the better but honestly its whatever you're comfortable with.

Have to agree with MCMXI just can't go wrong with a 1911 nice slim profile flawless design capcity low but who needs more than 8 if you do its nothin a mag change can't handle I think cc is more of a holster problem than anything else find the right holster or holsters and you can carry what you have

i own a Kahr PM9 and love it. i feel 9mm is plenty of stopping power, and it's small enough that i carry it all the time, comfortably. dress clothes r really the only hindering factor to concealment, in which case i pack a little .380. recoil is very minimal for its size, and it's quite accurate at personal protection distances. i've talked to guys who've put over 30,000 rounds thru theirs with no wearing out yet, and i've shot nearly every type of ammo out there out of mine with no malfunctions.

Hi all - a slight piggyback question from a very new member here. I am taking my certification course this weekend and will be shooting a variety of handgun options. Would a revolver be a good initial carry option for the average guy? What caliber should I be looking for or is this an "underwear" question. Apologies if it seems basic.

You might look into the CZ-2075 RAMI, they are nice and compact and the design reduces recoil quite a bit from most handguns the same size. They start at about $450 depending on where you shop.

Hi all - a slight piggyback question from a very new member here. I am taking my certification course this weekend and will be shooting a variety of handgun options. Would a revolver be a good initial carry option for the average guy? What caliber should I be looking for or is this an "underwear" question. Apologies if it seems basic.

Shoot as many as you can and go from there.The one you are most comfortable with and can easily conceal is your choice , and if you are like the rest of us you will buy another one anyway.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back