I didn't tell the LEO I had my pistol in the car

Timothy2001

Guess that was pretty stupid but I have just moved to Houston from NY, havenot been pulled over in years and got nabbed 71 in a 55 on a stretch between Houston and Tyler.

I have my NY CCW (full carry) and if I already had my Texas permit I would have told him as required. So, anyone know how long I have to get my Texas permit? Texas recognizes NY but for how long after you relocate?

Well. I look at it this way. Are you a NY resident? You just told us you now live in Texas. Is your NY permit a non-resident permit? If not then it is a resident permit and since you now reside somewhere other than NY then it is no longer a valid permit. You need to go get a Texas permit and stop beating around the bush about it. If you were in a situation where you had to use your firearm then you would be carring illegally and therefor would be unjustified in useing a gun.
But... on a lighter note.
"WELCOME TO TEXAS" even if you are from NY.

Well. I look at it this way. Are you a NY resident? You just told us you now live in Texas. Is your NY permit a non-resident permit? If not then it is a resident permit and since you now reside somewhere other than NY then it is no longer a valid permit. You need to go get a Texas permit and stop beating around the bush about it. If you were in a situation where you had to use your firearm then you would be carring illegally and therefor would be unjustified in useing a gun.
"WELCOME TO TEXAS" even if you are from NY.

Well said, Camerondavidl. Just a quick side note, if it matters: He may be found "unjustified" but he will have been found ALIVE to be found unjustified...

Yeah, tho, I'd agree with the recommendation to go lick some boots & get a Texas permit so as to be found both alive and "legal" after any unfortunate need to defend your life.

BTW, I get to drive into TX now and then, beautiful. I love the Texas spirit of freedom and hope the best for all of you.

Your still in a NY state of mind:laugh:

Camerondavidl

"WELCOME TO TEXAS" even if you are from NY."

Quoted above

I am not a lawyer, however I keep up with Texas laws. I do have a texas license. If you are not prohibited from owning a fire arm you are allowed to carry concealed in your vehicle. If you are stopped for a class c misdemenor you should not have a problem, especialy if the officer does not know you have the gun. Texas honors NY permits. I do not agree with this since NY does not honor Texas permits. That said some Texans do not have Texas permits but have permits from other states. They are honored in Texas. The last session of the legislature was thinking of only honoring Texas residents who had a Texas permit. As far as I know that was not done.

"If you were in a situation where you had to use your firearm then you would be carring illegally and therefor would be unjustified in useing a gun.
But... on a lighter note." (a quote)

I am not aware of anyone being prosicuted for carrying a gun who used that gun in self defense. In Texas the prosacutor is not going to prosacute and the jury will not convict.

Timothy2001

You don't have to tell the police that you have a gun in the car in Texas unless they ask you.
Your best bet is to get a Texas CHL.
It is a 10 hour class that should cost around $100 and another $140 to file with the State.
You should have your license in about 60 days.

Maybe this will help...?

GC §411.173. NONRESIDENT LICENSE. (a) The department by
rule shall establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility
requirements of this subchapter other than the residency requirement
established by Section 411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this
subchapter if the person is a legal resident of a state another state
or if the person relocates to this state with the intent to establish residency
in this state. The procedure must include payment of a fee in an
amount sufficient to recover the average cost to the department of
obtaining a criminal history record check and investigation on a
nonresident applicant. A license issued in accordance with the procedure
established under this subsection:
(1) remains in effect until the license expires under Section 411.183; and
(2) may be renewed under Section 411.185.
(a-1)*[repealed by Act effective September 1, 2005, 79th Leg., R.S., H.B. 225, §4.]
(b) The governor shall negotiate an agreement with any other state
that provides for the issuance of a license to carry a concealed
handgun under which a license issued by the other state is recognized
in this state or shall issue a proclamation that a license issued by the
other state is recognized in this state if the attorney general of the
State of Texas determines that a background check of each applicant
for a license issued by that state is initiated by state or local authorities
or an agent of the state or local authorities before the license is issued.
For purposes of this subsection, "background check" means a search
of the National Crime Information Center database and the Interstate
Identification Index maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
(c) The attorney general of the State of Texas shall annually:
(1) submit a report to the governor, lieutenant governor, and
speaker of the house of representatives listing the states the attorney
general has determined qualify for recognition under Subsection (b); and
(2) review the statutes of states that the attorney general has
determined do not qualify for recognition under Subsection (b) to
determine the changes to their statutes that are necessary to qualify
for recognition under that subsection.
(d) The attorney general of the State of Texas shall submit the report
required by Subsection (c)(1) not later than January 1 of each calendar
year.

Although we as a country have done everything in our power to create the last several generations as compliant - law abiding - walk calmly into the gas chamber model citizens. THIS IS STILL AMERICA!
If you don't get caught you are innocent!
Never volunteer any information when you are pulled over.
Listen carefully to the questions and then think about weather you are incriminating your self or not.
If you are , STFU.

Although we as a country have done everything in our power to create the last several generations as compliant - law abiding - walk calmly into the gas chamber model citizens. THIS IS STILL AMERICA!
If you don't get caught you are innocent!
Never volunteer any information when you are pulled over.
Listen carefully to the questions and then think about weather you are incriminating your self or not.
If you are , STFU.

I believe Texas is a have to notify state. You really need to follow the laws of the state you are in. If you don't you are asking for some free room and board (that you might get charged for).

Only have to inform if on your person or within your control. I keep my gun in a locked gun safe behind the passenger seat. That is not within my control since I would be required to get the key, and then unlock the safe. If the LEO wants to pull me out of my car and search the area around the drivers seat they will need to get a search warrant to open and search my locked safe. Hard to do with no probable cause. Never give any LEO permission to search your vehicle, period! They are not doing a search to help you out, if you do get a cop that wants to search your vehicle you already know your dealing with a ******* cop. If asked what is in the safe just tell them items you would not like stolen if your vehicle was broken into. If they continue and ask what these items are then it's time to tell them it's none of their business. I use to be a LEO, one of the good ones and I would never allow a search of my vehicle.

Guess that was pretty stupid but I have just moved to Houston from NY, havenot been pulled over in years and got nabbed 71 in a 55 on a stretch between Houston and Tyler.

I have my NY CCW (full carry) and if I already had my Texas permit I would have told him as required. So, anyone know how long I have to get my Texas permit? Texas recognizes NY but for how long after you relocate?
you were in violation of TX law, if the found that you were carrying and didn't inform he could have hauled you off to jail. also you'd be wise to learn about the 30.06 signs and the TABC 51% rules

Timothy2001

You don't have to tell the police that you have a gun in the car in Texas unless they ask you.
wrong! in TX if you are carrying concealed and have an encounter with a law enforcement official you are REQUIRED to inform him that you are armed

wrong! in TX if you are carrying concealed and have an encounter with a law enforcement official you are REQUIRED to inform him that you are armed
Nope, YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS WRONG AS USUAL........ STOP giving out advice on stuff you have no clue about.....

Texas Gun Law

The General Firearms Laws of The State of Texas:

In Texas, it is generally illegal to carry a handgun outside of a person’s own premises. However, a person may carry, either open or concealed, in a non-threatening or alarming manner, a shotgun or rifle.

However even with a handgun, in Texas, there are several places where a person may possess a handgun legally without the benefit of a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL). These places include:

A person’s residence or other real property under their control.
A person’s private motor vehicle or watercraft if the handgun is concealed, and the person is legal to possess a firearm, is not a member of a street gang, and is not engaged in the commission of a crime greater than a Class C misdemeanor traffic or boating violation.
A person engaged in lawful fishing, hunting, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the persons’ residence or motor vehicle, if the firearm is a type commonly used in the activity.
While storing a loaded firearm, it must be in a place which cannot be accessed by a child under the age of 17, or secured with a trigger lock if there is reason to know that a child under 17 may gain access to the firearm.

Nope, YOU ARE THE ONE THAT IS WRONG AS USUAL........ STOP giving out advice on stuff you have no clue about.....

Texas Gun Law

The General Firearms Laws of The State of Texas:

In Texas, it is generally illegal to carry a handgun outside of a person’s own premises. However, a person may carry, either open or concealed, in a non-threatening or alarming manner, a shotgun or rifle.

However even with a handgun, in Texas, there are several places where a person may possess a handgun legally without the benefit of a Texas Concealed Handgun License (CHL). These places include:

A person’s residence or other real property under their control.
A person’s private motor vehicle or watercraft if the handgun is concealed, and the person is legal to possess a firearm, is not a member of a street gang, and is not engaged in the commission of a crime greater than a Class C misdemeanor traffic or boating violation.
A person engaged in lawful fishing, hunting, or other sporting activity on the immediate premises where the activity is conducted, or is en route between the premises and the persons’ residence or motor vehicle, if the firearm is a type commonly used in the activity.
While storing a loaded firearm, it must be in a place which cannot be accessed by a child under the age of 17, or secured with a trigger lock if there is reason to know that a child under 17 may gain access to the firearm.

you're a special kind of stupid

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back