Must notify...if you're not carrying?

scdigger

Hey guys,

Question...if we are stopped, do we notify that we are CCP holder regardless of whether we are actually armed or not at the time..."sir, I am to notify you that I am a CCP holder, but I do not currently have my weapon on me."???

GT

No...if you are not armed you have no need to inform.

SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.

K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver's license from a permit holder. A permit holder immediately must report the loss or theft of a permit identification card to SLED headquarters. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor and, upon conviction, must be fined twenty-five dollars.

there is no state that requires you to notify if you are not armed.

I suppose it really depends on your exact state's wording of their "must notify" law.

Ohio's law says you only must notify if carrying:
If a licensee is the driver or an occupant of a motor vehicle that is stopped as the result of a traffic stop or a stop for another law enforcement purpose and if the licensee is transporting or has a loaded handgun in the motor vehicle at that time, the licensee shall promptly inform any law enforcement officer who approaches the vehicle while stopped that the licensee has been issued a license or temporary emergency license to carry a concealed handgun and that the licensee currently possesses or has a loaded handgun

So in Ohio, if you're not currently carrying, you have no duty to notify. (Thankfully, Oregon has no silly "must notify" law.)

Errrrr, if you're not carrying whats to notify the LEO about????? Maybe just show him your CWP Badge, that should be a conversation starter.

Errrrr, if you're not carrying whats to notify the LEO about????? Maybe just show him your CWP Badge, that should be a conversation starter.
Because in Michigan, the officer will know you have a permit when he runs your plate.

I don't know all states laws, but it is conceivable that some states have a "if you carry a concealed license, you must notify the officer" without specifying that you only have to do so when carrying. Likely a situation that arises when they don't properly write the law, rather than something thought out ahead of time.

I don't know all states laws, but it is conceivable that some states have a "if you carry a concealed license, you must notify the officer" without specifying that you only have to do so when carrying. Likely a situation that arises when they don't properly write the law, rather than something thought out ahead of time.

THere is not. Similar question arose some time ago...poster insisted that in his state if you had a permit you had to notify armed or not. At that time i went thru the laws of the 10 states that are Must Inform. they all say "when carrying a concealed weapon...."

THere is not. Similar question arose some time ago...poster insisted that in his state if you had a permit you had to notify armed or not. At that time i went thru the laws of the 10 states that are Must Inform. they all say "when carrying a concealed weapon...."

Good to know.

Sure, I'll tell him. If he's cute. We can also talk about what I carry and when he'd like to go to the range and shoot with me.

In other words, not as a matter of course.

Ok boys and girls! It's time to play what if! Ok, so you are a ccw holder in a state that has a law that states you have to tell the cop you have a ccw permitt when your armed. Ok you went to a swimming pool and your not armed today. So you get pulled over cause you drove past a cop at a donut shop and he saw you in your new low cut swim top looking all cute and stuff. (I HOPE YOUR FEMALE AT THIS POINT.) and he got in his car and drove after you to get a good look at you at the next light (IT'S Officer Hartless from Canton Ohio.)
as he gets close to your car he see your gas tank cover is open You forgot to close it when you got gas that morning. Ahaaa He pulls in behind you and pops the cherries light on his new low wind resisiting mars light bar on his squadcar. You pull over cause you a good girl who would not break the law. You stop the car put it in park shut the thing off get your DL out and put your hands on the top of the wheel. You see him get out fix his sungllasses and hiches his gun belt up and walks over to your driver's side window. Good morning there sunshine can i see your stuff! ya know your Driver license and insur card. You hand them to him, your DL and Isur cards. You don't tell him your a ccw holder and you not armed so it should not matter. He looks at the cards and said hey I stopped you because your gas tank cover is open so I am being a cop and letting you know. you say thank you kind sir! I will close that right now so you get out in your low cut top and cutoff shorts and feel the cop look up and down your body he can see your not armed. no way you could hide a gun in that out fit the shorts are so small your bellybutton is showing and your bottom is sticking out ( Ok so I am trying to say NO WAY TO HIDE A GUN BUT I AM SURE SOMEBODY IS GOING TO POST A FEMALE OR OH MY GOD A MALE IN SOME OUTFIT THATS SMALLER THAN WHAT IS ABOVE AND SAY SEE SHE COULD HAVE A GUN ON HER. BUT FOR THE STORY JUST LET ME GET AWAY WITH SAYING NO GUN. OK back to the story. He lets you close the door to your gas tank and then said hey! your a ccw holder and you did not tell me you have a ccw permitt you broke the law. your licenses plate tells me you have a permitt your suppose to tell me. You say I did not carry my gun today.
The cop said Bull shix you ccw people always carry he searchs you no gun he says it must be in your car you don't mind if I search right? you say no I don't concent to a search he says ahaa you do have a gun in there is it under your seat he look in the open door and bend down no gun he looks in your back seat no gun he says well I am sure you got a gun in here and searchs your car and finds a open beer can in the floor in the back seat area where you brother left it from two nights ago when he took your car to the store. (he drank a beer outside the car at the store with a cute girl he got lucky with in the car in the dark behind 7-11. You will find the used condom next week when you pull out your school jacket as it stick to the back of it when you walk into church.) You get arrested for driving with a open beer can in your car.
wow it could happen! Is the search illegal? what do you think? There may have been a broken law!! fail to tell the cop you have a ccw permitt and the gun could have been in the car. is that prob cause? could be?
he did not arrest you for it cause you had no gun but that leads him to the open beer can. Ta-DA!!!
an'it I a booger!!!LOL Ok so what ya think? you going pay the fine or fight it in court. cause I saw a cop win a case of I smelled the beer in the can from out side the car. The empty can was in the car for 3 weeks.
He searched the car and found the can. he did not say before the searched the car, he had smelled the can.
$75 doller fine. ok who's first?

First never, ever, loan your car to your no good brother. Second when you get out of your car, you always, always, lock it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back