ruger conceal and carry for wife?

Norman J

any recommendations on a small weapon for my wife? she is 5'8" and weight around 150lbs.

The best answer is: take her to the gun store, have them show her what they have and have her pick them up and get a feel for them. Once she finds something that fits her hand to her satisfaction she will need to fire that caliber to see if she is comfortable with the recoil. In short, every time someone asks these kinds of questions, you'll get everyone's favorite gun for an answer. Choosing a weapon is a very personal undertaking. Let her decide, because she's the one who's going to be using it.

I could suggest a Ruger LC9 9mm (preferable) or a Ruger LCP .380. My wife carries a Walther PPS 9mm on a daily basis and my stepmom carries an LCP. Nothing under .380 for sure.

My recommendation for a firearm for ANYONE:

"Purchase the largest caliber handgun with the biggest capacity, that you will feel comfortable carrying on a daily basis."

This means going to a range and renting a few firearms. Then going to a gun store and trying out a few gun/holster combinations before making a purchase. Most gun stores are pretty helpful about this. If yours isn't, I say move on to anotheer store that is.

My recommendation for a firearm for ANYONE:

"Purchase the largest caliber handgun with the biggest capacity, that you will feel comfortable carrying on a daily basis."

This explains why you are an instructor. You see what I mean, Phillip -- every time someone posts a thread asking for recommendations you'll get a list a mile long of calibers and particular firearms. I use a Browning Hi-Power for concealed, for instance, but that does not mean that I will recommend that one. It was a PERSONAL CHOICE, as is the selection of any firearm for any given person, so hopefully before we get lists of "best calibers," "best semiautomatic," etc., Norman J will just take your advice.

The best answer is: take her to the gun store, have them show her what they have and have her pick them up and get a feel for them. Once she finds something that fits her hand to her satisfaction she will need to fire that caliber to see if she is comfortable with the recoil. In short, every time someone asks these kinds of questions, you'll get everyone's favorite gun for an answer. Choosing a weapon is a very personal undertaking. Let her decide, because she's the one who's going to be using it.
Cap has it right. You can do a lot of things, but if it doesn't feel right to her she will not carry it consistently. SWMBO hated every firearm I had until she picked up a Kimber Ultra .45 ACP and she fell in love.

Have her try the Ruger SR9C. I've had several ladies try it and like it (SWMBO didn't like the trigger and preferred a 1911 - gotta love those TN farm girls :man_in_love:).

Good luck and take your time. Remember if Momma's happy - that's all that counts.

This explains why you are an instructor. You see what I mean, Phillip -- every time someone posts a thread asking for recommendations you'll get a list a mile long of calibers and particular firearms. I use a Browning Hi-Power for concealed, for instance, but that does not mean that I will recommend that one. It was a PERSONAL CHOICE, as is the selection of any firearm for any given person, so hopefully before we get lists of "best calibers," "best semiautomatic," etc., Norman J will just take your advice.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back