Your comments on horizontal shoulder holster

I agree with Phill... You muzzle a whole lot of folks with a rig like that...On a quick "panic" draw you run the risk of muzzling yourself across the chest... Strong side OWB is best. IWB is next best...

ok
1.- the problem is not when you carry your firearm horizontal. It can be a problem if you do not practice the unholstering in a confrontation and you accidentally press the trigger. That is the problem
2.- Nobody is saying that a Glock is a bad or unsafe firearm. I carry a G36 all the dang time. But I know that if make a careless mistake an I press the trigger it is going to go boom.
3.- We are giving the guy pros and cons. He is the one to make the choice.

So in conclusion.. Relax people nobody is after your Glocks...!

All firearms are safe if they are used in a safe way... Training makes you safer. Not the dang gun.

If someone is stupid...A glock is not going to fix stupid..or as a matter of fact no brand of firearm will fix stupid.

Don't understand what difference it makes where your gun is pointed if your finger isn't on the trigger and in a holster and if that's dangerous no holster is safe because its always pointed somewhere

Ok. Now might be a good time to review the NRA's Three Rules of Firearms Safety:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
When holding a gun, rest your finger on the trigger guard or along the side of the gun. Until you are actually ready to fire, do not touch the trigger.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.
Whenever you pick up a gun, immediately engage the safety device if possible, and, if the gun has a magazine, remove it before opening the action and looking into the chamber(s) which should be clear of ammunition. If you do not know how to open the action or inspect the chamber(s), leave the gun alone and get help from someone who does.​

Guns ARE dangerous things. Carrying one around loaded in a holster IS a dangerous action. One should minimize risk to innocent bystanders by being as safe as possible, and adhering to the Three Rules.

I use a Kangaroocarry holster looks strange when you see it. It is super great for hot weather and shorts.

I am happy with it and I carry it all day and forget it is even there.

JSDs Three Rules of Firearms Safety

Ok. Now might be a good time to review the JSD's Three Rules of Firearms Safety:

1. ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in everyones direction.
You never can tell what stupid animal wants to kill you because he likes the ballpoint pen in your pocket.

2. ALWAYS keep your finger off the trigger if your using the gun to scratch your parts.
At other times, you have to have your finger on the trigger to shoot the thing, which is the purpose of the gun.

3. ALWAYS keep the gun loaded so it's ready to use - and that means chambered and ready to go.
An Empty gun is like a condom with a hole in it.

NRA believes the only safe gun is the gun in the safe.

PS: thanks to those who stay on topic here, like G50AE, and Deserteagle

Now, let the replies commence.

I carry a Glock 22 in a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster. Has worked great for me for a number of years.

I just looked at these online and it is exactly what I was thinking about when starting the thread. I notice it has no belt strap to stabilize the holster when presenting - do the cross-straps take care of that? And while I carry a G23, I have thought, why not the G22 for some more rounds and better accuracy. But next thought was although Glocks are light in comparison to others, do you have any problems with having that much under your arm?

Thanks for the info.

I use a Galco Miami Classic II. Great for long driving trips. IMO if a gun won't fire when carried vertically, why would that change when it is carried horizontally?

A gun carried vertically could fire through the floor. But it doesn't. There is a problem with sweeping an area when drawing but a vertical holster would have the same problem. You have to evaluate the risks involved for yourself.

I use a Galco Miami Classic II. Great for long driving trips. IMO if a gun won't fire when carried vertically, why would that change when it is carried horizontally?

A gun carried vertically could fire through the floor. But it doesn't. There is a problem with sweeping an area when drawing but a vertical holster would have the same problem. You have to evaluate the risks involved for yourself.

Thanks for the comments. It is difficult to discuss safety since everyone has different levels of experience, various mindsets, and concerns, that put safety first or unfortunently sometimes last.
I always consider safety as one component of handling anything, including guns, that are potentially lethal.

I do not consider equipment causes a change in the level of safety unless the equipment is cheap junk, not designed for the application, or is used improperly.

Something you also might want to consider when wearing a shoulder holster under a sportcoat. Go talk to a tailor and have them put in a fuller cut into side that you carry. Since most jackets aren't made with extra room needed to accommodate a pistol. No matter which shoulder holster you use. I used to have a galco Miami special for my 92' I didn't like it.

Something you also want to consider when wearing a shoulder holster under a sportcoat. Go talk to a tailor and have put in a fuller cut into side that you carry. Since most jackets aren't made with extra room needed to accommodate a pistol. No matter which shoulder holster you use. I used to have a galco Miami special for my 92' I didn't like it.

Thanks for the input - I am looking at the Galco Miami II so far. Reason for a shoulder rig in the first place is I've nestled the G23 in my armpit with a coat on and it seems to do pretty well and seems more comfortable than IWB, at least for me. This actually started cause I used a belly band but didn't like the movement - it felt sloppy.

Another thought...

Another thought-
Look at a 5.11 Tactical t-shirt holster. There are many knockoffs of these, too. I didn't like the 5.11 because it is stitched with nylon thread (fishing line) and felt very scratchy. I then used a t-shirt made of a soft fishnet-like material I bought at a cycling shop- Descente brand. That was better. I also had a tailor change some of my button-down shirts so that the buttons have snaps behind them- in other words, what used to be buttons and still look like buttons, are really snaps. Offside hand rips the snaps open, while dominant hand reaches for the gun. Just make sure that you use the "Chicken Wing" when drawing from any shoulder rig.

Thanks for the input - I am looking at the Galco Miami II so far. Reason for a shoulder rig in the first place is I've nestled the G23 in my armpit with a coat on and it seems to do pretty well and seems more comfortable than IWB, at least for me. This actually started cause I used a belly band but didn't like the movement - it felt sloppy.

Yeah but the gun doesn't actually ride that high up into your arm pit. It sits more along your ribs really around the 4-6th rib area under your arm. that is why your should talk to a tailor....

safety should always come first, but you also need to remember that "Mr Murphy" is always around.

Your firearm could have a malfunction and fire ( Granted in this day and age that is a very small percent).

That is why you keep the firearm in a safe direction. Now I agree with the NRA safety Rules.

but also remember when you are carrying a firearm for defense are you really going to carry it "unloaded"

Safety should never be compromised... You do that by training and knowing your firearm and holster.

I also agree that firearms are dangerous things, so is driving, flying, riding a motorcycle and even cooking...(yes cooking, grease fires and things like that..)
We live and do dangerous things all the time.

It is a personal choice how much risk you want to take. My personal choice is barrel in a safe direction, invest in a good holster and train like your life depends on it...(because it does..!).

You are correct. in the forum...we have different levels and ideology schools....But we all want to be carry safe :)

Enjoy the sport with the family....it will keep it strong, happy and safe :)

@M1911A1Lvr

You make an excellent point.

I know it will sound cheesee, but when you carry you turn in to your wife (ok in a good way..!)

You start to accessorize around your firearm...

If you carry IWB...you buy bigger pants and a gun belt...the belt thickness depends on the type of holster you get and that depends on the gun you have. See.... :)

If you cvarry OWB.. You get bigger shirts, suit, matching gun belt..etc.

...but also remember when you are carrying a firearm for defense are you really going to carry it "unloaded"

Of course you're going to carry a defensive firearm loaded. The rule states "Keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it." If you are carrying it for self-defense, you are always ready to use it.

I also agree that firearms are dangerous things, so is driving, flying, riding a motorcycle and even cooking...(yes cooking, grease fires and things like that..)
We live and do dangerous things all the time.

It is a personal choice how much risk you want to take. My personal choice is barrel in a safe direction, invest in a good holster and train like your life depends on it...(because it does..!).

Agreed - when we talk about risk, we talk about layers of it, and tolerance for it. But to me - any miniscule advantage gained from horizontal carry vs vertical or angled carry is not worth the additional risk to others.

...we have different levels and ideology schools....But we all want to carry safe :)

I agree that we all want to be safe. (What idiot would want to be unsafe?) But - some of the schools of thought here exhibit a very high tolerance of risk to self and others...more than I am comfortable with. And in many cases, not appropriate tolerances considering the amount of training (or lack thereof) possessed by some individuals.

In the end we each have to decide where our lines are, and live with the consequences of our decisions.

But remember that others who cross in front of our muzzles have to live with the consequences of our decisions too. This is why none of my holsters point the muzzle of the firearm horizontally.

Shoulder holster = bad trouble waiting to happen. Stay away! they point at everyone behind you, next to you when you draw, and then at your own brachial artery (in your arm). If you sever that brachial artery, you will probably bleed out and die pretty quickly. You save the bad guy the trouble. Draw from a shoulder holster takes too long.
Look at either a Kholster or a Crossbreed.

Well the jury is still out on my horiz decision. I will say that there is a lot more negative in the thread than I considered when I started the thread (and it is all valid).
1) I agree that pointing a firearm at anything behind you has to increase the danger level a bit, no matter what kind of gun.
2) I have considered this for comfort more than quick draw (I would think that going under a shirt with IWB would be not much different than going under a coat to a horiz in terms of speed). And I figured a horiz would be quicker than vertical draw, so the reason I look at these as opposed to vertical.
3) I have considered going horiz with no round in the chamber, but this may not be too cool as it would take one more step in cycling the slide before presentation of the firearm.

So, I do thank all who post on this - very enlightening, and I do appreciate your opinions.

I've tried a shoulder holster a few different times with different rigs and never liked them. I always carry my G23 IWB at 1:00 in a Minotaur neutral cant holster from Comp-Tac.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back