New member seeking CCW strategy

geeareess

I have just joined USA Carry today. I live in the South Bay, and unfortunately, there is no CCW available here. Three years ago, I took a run at a CCW with the local Sheriff, put up a good fight, but got nowhere. I do believe that I have good cause, even though I shouldn't need that, but apparently no good cause is good enough here. I am thinking about establishing a nominal residence in a friendlier county, and making it my legal address. Does anyone have experience with this? Can anyone recommend another strategy?

I spend much of my life on the road, and carry concealed just about everywhere that I go outside of California. I carry an XD-40 4" in a Sidearmor IWB holster.

Hope to have some discussions with you guys.

Your best bet might be Allied Moving and Storage. From the posts I read it seems that area is very liberal and quite out of touch with the constitution.

The central valley has become shall issue for the most part. I am not sure if there is a time frame for having to live in the county you'll be applying in. Have some feelers out on this for you. As soon as I hear something will post.

Stanislaus county is shall issue, but they do check to make sure you actually live in Stanislaus county.

You can apply the day you move into the county, but if you don't physically live here you will be charged with a felony

I used to live in the Peoples Republic of Stockton. I lived there from 1973-2003 and tried once to get information on getting a permit back in the 70s. The person in charge said and I quote "we(police) do not want Stockton to become an armed camp" and told me I would not qualify because self defense was not a good reason. I know the Bay-area is even worse as I looked up county by county the number of permits given out. Generally the more rural the county the better chance one has to get a permit. As I understand you must live in the county where you apply. I have a friend who had a permit in Calaveras County and informed me the county was almost 'shall issue'. There is(was) a map I saw about 3 years ago showing county by county how easy(difficult) it was getting a permit. Calaveras County was green on the map meaning it was gun friendly. I do not know how to find the website though but I think it was part of a California gun rights web site though. I grew sick and tired of the liberal propaganda about guns and admittedly it was one of the factors(not the only one) in my decision to move back to Washington state where getting a permit is easy. The county Sherrifs in California :biggrin:are elected so an election can change a county from 'no-issue to shall issue' with one election. Even if you find the website you should check with the county sheriff where you are thinking on moving to. Do not overlook the local police chief where you are thinking of moving to as that chief MIGHT be more gun friendly than the county sheriff. Of course you would have to live in the city limits for that. Many cities defer to the sheriff on the matter of gun permits. After moving to Washington I had my gun permit in 2 months. My favorite view of California became the one in the rear-view mirror in my car. Nuff said. Good luck, welcome, and keep us posted.

I lived in Stanislus County for almost two decades and I'm glad to see the old sheriff is finally gone! I finally got tired of waiting for him to leave office. Just the fact that you can get all of the forms, applications and other information for your CCW Link Removed is evidence of the new way of thinking. It used to be that you had to go down to the office and try to beat it out of someone! Please keep us updated because I have a ton of people to notify if it works and I'd like to know what worked to get a "yes."

Following up on "New member seeking CCW strategy"

Thanks for your advice. I feel welcomed already.

In my case, Allied Moving and Storage is not an option. My wife is a faculty member at a local college, and a position in her field does not exist away from the major cities. We also have a disabled family member living independently in the local area, who cannot move, and who relies on my being nearby at least some of the time.

So here is the question. I spend about ten days per month traveling for work. If I split the other twenty days between my home in Los Gatos and a home somewhere up in the mountains, where I will establish my permanent legal residence and which will eventually be my retirement home, should anyone have a problem with that? Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Thanks for your advice. I feel welcomed already.

In my case, Allied Moving and Storage is not an option. My wife is a faculty member at a local college, and a position in her field does not exist away from the major cities. We also have a disabled family member living independently in the local area, who cannot move, and who relies on my being nearby at least some of the time.

So here is the question. I spend about ten days per month traveling for work. If I split the other twenty days between my home in Los Gatos and a home somewhere up in the mountains, where I will establish my permanent legal residence and which will eventually be my retirement home, should anyone have a problem with that? Does anyone have experience with a similar situation? Thank you in advance for your responses.

If you have an address that you own within a county and spend any time living there, as long as it's not a vacation home of like 2-4 weeks a year, you are considered a resident of that county. Timeshares normally do not count. But you can always tell the sheriff in the more rural county that you plan to hunt, hike, backpack, whatever when at your other home and would like to be armed as well. A conversation with the sheriff or his representative might go farther at getting an approval rather than just a blind application. He's much more likely to approve someone he knows.

That seems like reasonable and valuable advice. Thank you TekGreg.

Does anyone know which counties near Yosemite are most amenable to CCW?

I think your best bet is to contact the CalGuns Foundation. They may be able to provide you with the good cause statements etc. that you need.

I expect you're SOL for now though.

The Stanislaus county sheriff Adam Christianson said publicly that "the need to protect yourself and your family outside the home is good cause enough to issue a concealed weapons permit." And i am happy to report that he is standing true to his word. Sacramento, calaveras, and el dorado counties also have similar policies

CCW Premits

If you want to get your CCW don't apply in LA, ORG, or the surrounding areas. Most of the Northern Counties will issue the CCW in a heart beat. Counties like Butte, which covers, Chico, Yuba City and Oroville. They will issue you the CCW, NO PROBLEM.....They are nearly a "Shall Issue" county....Don't apply at Sac County either. Contact chicogunclub.org for more info. Hope this helps...

If you want to get your CCW don't apply in LA, ORG, or the surrounding areas. Most of the Northern Counties will issue the CCW in a heart beat. Counties like Butte, which covers, Chico, Yuba City and Oroville. They will issue you the CCW, NO PROBLEM.....They are nearly a "Shall Issue" county....Don't apply at Sac County either. Contact chicogunclub.org for more info. Hope this helps...

CA CCW's

If you want to get your CCW don't apply in LA, ORG, or the surrounding areas. Most of the Northern Counties will issue the CCW in a heart beat. Counties like Butte, which covers, Chico, Yuba City and Oroville. They will issue you the CCW, NO PROBLEM.....They are nearly a "Shall Issue" county....Don't apply in Sac County either. Contact chicogunclub.org for more info. Hope this helps...

Hey, new to USA Carry. Good to be here. Relatively new to CCW so I've been reading a lot on various topics.

I know this is an older post, but was wondering if geeareess solved his original problem? Did you get your permit? Where? Which county?

Stanislaus County, where I live full time, continues to be nearly a "shall-issue" county. Christianson HAS kept his word as indicated above and self defense is a valid reason to carry concealed for qualified citizenry.

might just want to move to nevada or arizona, both close enough to go to cali.
I moved to the mountains just south of Los Gatos, California (south SF bay area) from Florida in 2007. I quickly discovered that the only people the county sheriff would allow to proceed with the CCW process were folks who made considerable "contributions".

I moved to Las Vegas in 2010 and never looked back.

BTW: For "geeareess", my home was on Sunnyside Road in the Aldercroft Heights area behind the Lexington Reservoir.

I live in Stanislaus County. The current sheriff, Adam Christiansen, definitely has a "shall issue" policy with "self defense" being enough good cause for him to issue. As one who regularly trains with a company that teaches the CCW class, I've found through my instructors that the wait just to get your appt to interview is currently more than a year out.

Calaveras County is another that is as close to "shall issue" as you can get. I don't know about Tuolumne or Mariposa Counties. Sheriff Pazin in Merced county rarely issues. Not sure about Madera or Fresno counties.

Best of luck.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back