Your comments on horizontal shoulder holster

J

JSDinTexas

I carry a G23 and am thinking of a horizontal shoulder holster for use with a sportcoat or so forth this fall. I have carried IWB, belly band, and OWB and lean to the IWB, but I don't find any of these really satisfactory.
What I would like is comments pro or con, and any other info about what to look for or stay away from. If you have a suggested brand or vendor that's fine.

Thanks

Shoulder holster

I tried one and perhaps because it was an inexpensive nylon I didn't like it. There seemed to be too much movement and I was always concerned about being exposed. I carry IWB with either my G22 or G30 with a Crossbreed Supertuck and a good quality gun belt. Since I can tuck my shirt the risk of unintentional exposure is reduced. I carry at 4:30 which allows my body to provide cover as well.

I don't think they're safe. I sure wouldn't want to be behind you in line at the grocery store. Especially with a Glock. Horizontal shoulder holster = NEVER pointed in a safe direction.

My recommendation is either OWB, IWB, or vertical shoulder rig. There are a number of steel spring vertical rigs that allow you to pull forward to draw instead of "up and out."

Another possibility - have a custom shoulder holster made that has about a 45 degree cant to it. It's a reasonably good compromise - your muzzle is pointed at the ground about 3 feet behind you, but the butt is angled in such a way that it's a more natural draw, especially if you're wearing a buttoned blazer or sport coat.

My last word on shoulder holsters - BALANCE. Make sure to carry adequate weight on the "weak" side to balance out the weight of your gun.

I tried one and perhaps because it was an inexpensive nylon I didn't like it. There seemed to be too much movement and I was always concerned about being exposed. I carry IWB with either my G22 or G30 with a Crossbreed Supertuck and a good quality gun belt. Since I can tuck my shirt the risk of unintentional exposure is reduced. I carry at 4:30 which allows my body to provide cover as well.

Yeah, I hear a lot about supertucks

I don't think they're safe. I sure wouldn't want to be behind you in line at the grocery store. Especially with a Glock. Horizontal shoulder holster = NEVER pointed in a safe direction.

My recommendation is either OWB, IWB, or vertical shoulder rig. There are a number of steel spring vertical rigs that allow you to pull forward to draw instead of "up and out."

Another possibility - have a custom shoulder holster made that has about a 45 degree cant to it. It's a reasonably good compromise - your muzzle is pointed at the ground about 3 feet behind you, but the butt is angled in such a way that it's a more natural draw, especially if you're wearing a buttoned blazer or sport coat.

My last word on shoulder holsters - BALANCE. Make sure to carry adequate weight on the "weak" side to balance out the weight of your gun.

Thanks. My LEO distributor has a Blackhawk angle holster but the silly thing points down by the grip at a 45 degree angle - still good advice and will consider an angled rig. And don't worry, if I see you in the checkout line, I'll turn sideways a bit. :laugh:

Thanks for the comments from you both, they help.

No worries as I handle Glocks with some ability, but I see your point - I considered vertical, but want a more ergonomic pull and also think the vertical would be too long as I am only 5'9"

I'm the same height. My M&P is about the same size as your glock, and my GP100 is a bit longer. You could do a vertical or a 45 degree without too much problem. Go try a few on, you'll see.

I'm going to agree with Phillip on this one too. Rigs like that just are not good with Glocks.

The horizontal rigs are mostly old ideas for revolves (SA /DAO).

but even still you break the golden rule of pointing in a safe direction.

:)

Thanks again for the comments, maybe a shoulder holster isn't the best idea.

Don't understand what difference it makes where your gun is pointed if your finger isn't on the trigger and in a holster and if that's dangerous no holster is safe because its always pointed somewhere

I carry with a shoulder holster at times but, not very often. I ONLY use a vertical holster because I am self conchious about it always being pointed at who ever is behind me. And at sometime it will be exposed and if I see it I will make a point for any of my kids or other relatives to not get behind you. I am not sorry I feel this way, I don't know you and I don't know if you are carring a good safe gun or if you are carring a Sat nite special that may go off if you just look at it. You may have a safty on or you may have it cocked and ready. Just my thoughts, Country Toby

I don't like them because they point the gun level and rearward at other people. The NRA course "personal protection outside the home" does not teach this method of carry for that reason.

Glocks are safe action pistols. They will not fire without the trigger being pulled. If you dont believe it, load a Glock and put it on your kitchen table for a year and see if it fires itself.
I would prefer a vertical shoulder holster myself, but if horizontal is what you want, than get it. Dont let anyone convince you that your Glock is not safe to be held horizontally, they are just afraid of guns that require us to use our brain as a safety.

Glocks are safe action pistols. They will not fire without the trigger being pulled. If you dont believe it, load a Glock and put it on your kitchen table for a year and see if it fires itself.
I would prefer a vertical shoulder holster myself, but if horizontal is what you want, than get it. Dont let anyone convince you that your Glock is not safe to be held horizontally, they are just afraid of guns that require us to use our brain as a safety.

Yeah, I appreciate what your saying, and this G23 is one of 15 different Glocks that I have had the last few years so I am very confident with handling them. And maybe I'm reading these folks incorrectly in that they may think that I am a newbie.
I am not concearned with the safety aspect as much as 1) getting to the weapon and 2) comfort, in that order. I have never liked going under my shirt or whatever to get to the gun and feel the cross pull from a shoulder is better. As to comfort, Glocks are a bit wide and I would really like to carry a G21 or G30 but in IWB you have to get a pair of pants 4 inches larger - and you still have to go under a shirt. I also have tucked in my shirts all my life and don't like to wear a shirt outside the waistband.

I am interested in your comment on the vertical instead of horizontal, which another poster said - care to elaborate on that?

I carry with a shoulder holster at times but, not very often. I ONLY use a vertical holster because I am self conchious about it always being pointed at who ever is behind me. And at sometime it will be exposed and if I see it I will make a point for any of my kids or other relatives to not get behind you. I am not sorry I feel this way, I don't know you and I don't know if you are carring a good safe gun or if you are carring a Sat nite special that may go off if you just look at it. You may have a safty on or you may have it cocked and ready. Just my thoughts, Country Toby

I carry my Glocks hot, or condition 1 if you prefer, which means chambered and ready. I have always carried Glocks this way starting about 30 days after I got my first one some time ago.

My own two cents on shoulder holsters

I would like to make a comment;
As so many people have mentioned, a horizontal rig points the gun at whomever is behind you. I agree. +1.
I'll add some comments:
*Most of the shoulder rigs (pretty much all of them)have a leather or nylon security strap. If that strap flops around the wrong way while presenting the gun, it can manipulate the trigger. You might have a negligent discharge. Not good.
*Also, I have seen people 'cover' their own arm when presenting the gun. If you do have a ND, you might shoot your own arm and save BG the trouble. If you use any shoulder rig, learn the 'Chicken Wing' concept. This is how it works (for those who have never had this training): When presenting the gun, get your grip, release the safety strap and use the top of your hand to keep the strap out of the trigger. MAKE SURE you raise your offside arm so that your elbow is in perfect alignment with your clavicle/shoulder. If the gun discharges, your own arm is out of the way.
That "Chicken Wing" concept is very important also to keep the extra fabric of your long-sleeved shirt up and out of the way, so you don't snag the grip of the gun in that fabric.
I hope I described that well. It works better with a video or face-to-face instruction...

Also, most shoulder holsters have a criss-cross strap system ("X") across your back. In certain shirts, it looks like you're wearing a full-figured bra! OK for the ladies, but strange for the guys. Also, wear dark coloured shirts, as with ANY rig, the straps, etc will be visible through a white or light coloured shirt. Again, I make this comment for those who have never been told this. I'm not trying to talk down to anyone.

Thanks for the comments rdc2co - this is some of the things I was looking for - namely the actual operation of a shoulder holster and the various experiences of those who have worn one.
I initially considered just the horizontal, but will now look at the vertical and angle types.
The shirt imprint may not be too much of a problem as I intend to wear a sportcoat or suitcoat with this configuration.
I wanted to start off with some of the forums comments, but I will definitly go to my distributor and try a few on before making any decisions.
And if TX passes an OC bill next time around it's all mute (they tried this year but failed).
Thanks again, and thanks to all who offer opinions on this - I read every one of them.

I use a horizontal holster. They are nice if in a vehicle. Easy to get to. Also at night where i can get to it quickly with a jacket on. I have long arms so it makes it easier to draw. Also have thigh rig for same reason. Normally carry concealed with side holster. Shoulder holster is just another option. If it works for you and you can use it and will save your life. That is the bottom line in anything.

Vertical holsters may provide better concealment and reassurance (if you want it), that the gun is pointed in a safe direction in case it decides to shoot itself (not possible). However, it may be harder to draw fast.

Horizontal holsters would have an easier draw but could have printing issues unless you have a jacket on. They also may be sketchy because the gun points at whatever is behind you. Solve that problem by buying a quality firearm and having faith in it, as well as training with it.

I recommend going to a store and trying them on and seeing how they feel. You could also start with a vertical until your more comfortable carrying in a shoulder holster and then getting a horizontal, but I dont think you are a newbie anyway.

Yeah, I've been around guns since I was 8 yrs old and deer hunting with a scoped 30.06 at 12 (I'm from TX you know, and I think we're supposed to have a gun from birth). :D
I've shot many Glocks, it's my preferred gun for carry specifically because it has no safety (except the 3 internals), and I am very comfortable with them. Just looking around for an alternative to IWB which I really don't like that much.
So I'm not too new at this and Thanks.

I would definitely agree with this. I've never seen a Glock fire without a trigger pull. People claim it happens but most stories are just anecdotal.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back