Court ordered firearms safety for felons?

NRA-NSTRCTR

Hey Guys I have been contacted by a gentleman that has been court ordered to take a firearms safety class. My hesitation is that he has a felony. Have any of you come across this? Did you do the training without a firearm? would you steer clear all together. any info would be helpful. thanks in advance!

Sometimes this is included in a plea agreement. I'm assuming he had so
E kind of firearm charge and got it reduced and as I said part of the plea. Contact the DA's office to be sure though.

Personally, if he was convicted of a person-on-person, gun-related or other dangerous crime I would refuse the student. If it was a non-violent felony such as a DUI I would accept the student but would not let him handle a firearm.

I don't understand why a court would issue such an order. What would the purpose be? In any case, I'd contact the court for clarification.

I don't understand why a court would issue such an order. What would the purpose be? In any case, I'd contact the court for clarification.

Perhaps the original charge was a felony but was reduced with a plea agreement that included a class. They are usually ordered for crimes such as improper use of a firearm, brandishing, negligent discharge, felony menacing, juvenile possession of a firearm, unlawful carry, and unlawful use, sale, or possession of a firearm.

Guy had a good lawyer. If he's telling the truth to the instructor that is.

omg is this judge on drugs

I would like to know what that jud:angry:ge was smoking or thinking by putting a [SUB][/SUB]gun back in the hands of a felon

If you wind up contacting the court and doing some fact-finding on this, would you mind letting us know what you find out? It just seems like there are some facts or circumstances that haven't come to light here.

Thanks for the input. the courts did give him a name and number of a firing range with an instructor they use, but he is not on our side of town. I happen to be local and right down the street. as far as his charges he told me that he got busted with a misdameanor amount of marijuana and they also found his firearm. drugs+firearm=felony. As far as I know there is no plea, he has a felony. He has a letter from his probabtion officer stating that he has to take a course. What kind of paperwork would the court given him? would he have a court document that states he must take a class? Still not sure if I want mess with this guy, but I will deffinately try to keep you guys up to speed on what happens. Have any of you been contacted for this?

Thanks for the input. the courts did give him a name and number of a firing range with an instructor they use, but he is not on our side of town. I happen to be local and right down the street. as far as his charges he told me that he got busted with a misdameanor amount of marijuana and they also found his firearm. drugs+firearm=felony. As far as I know there is no plea, he has a felony. He has a letter from his probabtion officer stating that he has to take a course. What kind of paperwork would the court given him? would he have a court document that states he must take a class? Still not sure if I want mess with this guy, but I will deffinately try to keep you guys up to speed on what happens. Have any of you been contacted for this?
Interesting. If there's no plea offer why would he take the class? In NY probation may get involved at a pre-sentencing hearing. Perhaps that's where it came from. Be careful on this one.

If you really want this guys couple of bucks contact probation officer and see what he has to say, personaly I'd rather not fuss with this guy, the results may get you into a lot of .....stuff

Since it was a misdameanor amount and the gun was not used to commit a crime maybe the judge has it right and is going to drop the felony charge once the course has been completed and give this guy a break. I would like to know more about this case. Sounds interesting. Since the guy was ordered by the court to take the course and you have verified this why the hesitation?

If the court order does not specify a particular course, You could teach "Home Firearms Safety" or an "Eddie Eagle" course. Both are non shooting courses and firearms handling is not mandatory.

I've had a couple of these, one was a DUI in possession of firearm in his vehicle (Misdemeanor) and the other a felony menacing plead down to misdemeanor. The court was vague on what the safety class was to be, but I did a 4hr private class with each of them, wrote a letter to the judge and pocketed my fees.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back