open carry in Iowa

xdmowner615

Hey just wondering about the open carry in Iowa that happened the first of the year. Here's some of the questions I have:

Is the firearm supposed to be empty like in CA or can it be loaded?

Can businesses remove you from property even if no signs are posted? And by remove I mean not asking you to leave but telling you to.

Open Carry Iowa

Jan. 1 2011 Iowa became "shall issue" versus may issue. The permit is a "Permit to Carry" which means you can carry concealed or open carry, but you are required to have a permit either way. You do not have to carry it unloaded, in fact, can't see the purpose in that. Although I'm still of the belief of why open carry period. Not to slam those that do, but I prefer to not give a criminal the heads up that I might be able to protect myself or my family if the need arises. There are many great sites to find out more info, one I highly suggest is iowacarry.org There are great forums there and info on permits, iowa, carry, etc. This group was also very involved with the new shall issue being passed. Hope that helps

Open carry did not become legal Jan 1...it has always been legal. It was the "may issue/sheriff discretion" that made it hard to do.

Businesses are private property and can request you leave even without a sign posted.

Hey just wondering about the open carry in Iowa that happened the first of the year. Here's some of the questions I have:

Is the firearm supposed to be empty like in CA or can it be loaded?

Can businesses remove you from property even if no signs are posted? And by remove I mean not asking you to leave but telling you to.

I'm not in Iowa - but generally speaking there is not any legal difference between "asking you to leave" and "telling you to leave" where private property is concerned. If the property owner or representative requests or demands you depart...you must do so. If you refuse to leave, you are trespassing, and can be prosecuted (regardless of the reason given).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back