Treat ALL guns as if they are loaded!

NCshooter

The (4) rules to gun safety, as I learned them, are:

1. Treat all guns as if they are loaded
2. Never point your gun at anything you are not prepared to destroy
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
4. Be sure of your target, and what is behind it.

They are very simple and save lives, if followed. I am constantly amazed at experienced gun owners / handlers that violate rule #1. A cowboy action shooter showing off his twirling abilities as he faces me from 4 feet away. A WW2 buff continually sweeping me with his M1 as he explains his barrel bedding project.

I move away and ask that they not sweep me and get answers like: no danger, the cylinder is out; or, gun can't fire, I removed the bolt. While the guns may in fact be inoperable at this moment, sloppy practice leads to sloppy habits which can lead to people getting hurt when the gun they thought was safe turns out not to be so.

EVERY gun is ALWAYS loaded ...
NEVER point it an ANYTHING you are not willing to DESTROY.
Simple. Safe.

I have a hole in me from an "unloaded" gun. Want to get on the wrong side of me--pick up a gun and don't check the chamber. They are ALL loaded--ALL the time--EVERYTIME. I part with the rules when in "condition red". If my or other's lives are in jeprody my finger is on the trigger and thumb on the safety (1911). If my Sig (no thumb safety)my finger is in the guard. I know flak is coming but that is me--do as you deem necessary and prudent.

I just finished the NRA Instructor Training and the first rule is:

ALWAYS keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

This is the primary rule of gun safety. A safe direction means that the gun is pointed so that even if it were to go off it would not cause injury or damage. The key to this rule is to control where the muzzle or front end of the barrel is pointed at all times. Common sense dictates the safest direction, depending on different circumstances.

Note that it doesn't say you can ignore this rule if you know or think the gun is unloaded.

If you always follow the rule, loaded or not, able to fire or not, even if it is a blue dummy - you establish a habit that will help keep you safe.

Next time you're in a gun shop, notice how many people exhibit this dangerous gun handling. Yes, even those who work there and should know better.

Yup, basic rules. Had a friend years ago who competed, and had two big cabinets full of trophys. He had a habit, that after checking weapon was unloaded, but before he put it away, or started cleaning it, he would point it at the ceiling and pull the trigger. One day he put a bullet completely thru his livingroom roof. Said it really woke him up. Far as I know he still does it, figures better the roof than him, LOL.

The (4) rules to gun safety, as I learned them, are:

1. Treat all guns as if they are loaded
2. Never point your gun at anything you are not prepared to destroy
3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
4. Be sure of your target, and what is behind it.

They are very simple and save lives, if followed. I am constantly amazed at experienced gun owners / handlers that violate rule #1. A cowboy action shooter showing off his twirling abilities as he faces me from 4 feet away. A WW2 buff continually sweeping me with his M1 as he explains his barrel bedding project.

I move away and ask that they not sweep me and get answers like: no danger, the cylinder is out; or, gun can't fire, I removed the bolt. While the guns may in fact be inoperable at this moment, sloppy practice leads to sloppy habits which can lead to people getting hurt when the gun they thought was safe turns out not to be so.

EVERY gun is ALWAYS loaded ...
NEVER point it an ANYTHING you are not willing to DESTROY.
Simple. Safe.
I agree with you 100%. I am new to guns but that is one thing that was pounded into my head in CCW class. Don't get sloppy with gun safety!! Also, the one thing that I had and still have to keep in my head is "TO KEEP MY FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL READY TO SHOOT"

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back