CCW TX visitor with 51% question

Swamp Fox

I'm visiting TX from out of state and familiarized myself with TX law. I saw after returning to my hotel that there is a 51% sign obscurely placed in the far bottom right hand corner of an outside window entering the lobby area of the hotel.

Does that mean that it is a felony for me be armed in my hotel and keep my firearm in my room?

It is likely meant for the hotels in-house bar. But the Texas CHL handbook says signs MUST be posted in a CONSPICUOS place CLEARLY visible to the public. The 51% sign idicates that the establishment gains 51% or more of its income from Alcoholic sales making it in the states eyes, a bar. I can't see a hotel getting 51% of is revenue from alcohol. Whats the hotel?

I was assuming it was for the bar area but being cautious not being from here and all. It would seem odd not to be able to carry a firearm into a lodging establishment - especially in TX.

The Hotel is Aloft.

I read a post somewhere else that the 51% sign need not be posted as the 30.06 signs.

Last edited:
Swamp Fox:215752 said:
I read a post somewhere else that the 51% sign need not be posted as the 30.06 signs.

That would be incorrect as I understand the most current 2009-2010 Texas CHL Handbook. They have to post it for reasons other than firearms related regulations as well, according to the TABC.

The bottom line is this: If it is a bar, sign or no-sign, it is a big NO-NO for CCW. If it is a restaurant that has a bar, it is normally okay for CCW in the absence of a 30.06 sign. 51% signs on restaurants typically have no effect and may be ignored. HOWEVER: It would be wise to check with the Texas Alcohol and Beverage Commission to confirm whether that restaurant actually gets 51% of their revenue from drinks.

I have done this before on a popular restaurant here locally. Once I called TABC to verify, they actually contacted the owner instructing him to take it down as it is a violation of Texas code to post that sign unless they collect 51% of their revenue in alcoholic sales.

Hotel, they must have a 30.06 sign to prohibit CCW.

Hope I am correct in assuming that the bar portion of the lobby is prohibited and everywhere else is ok - no 30.06 sign.
By the way,is TX 30.06 sign law a coincidence or some TX lawmaker's sense of humor?

Good question! I agree with what others have said. I'm sure that's meant for the bar in the hotel. Hotels don't get 51% or more of their revenue from alcohol sales. In order to legally prohibit you from carrying in the hotel, they would have to post the 30.06 sign and follow the posting regulations. You can find those regs on the DPS website. You shouldn't have any problem as long as the gun remains concealed anyways.

Welcome to Texas! Hope you enjoy your visit!

I'm in agreement with most of those above.

Now if your room had a mini-bar...that would get confusing. :fie:

OMG...I nearly fell off my chair!!! :):):)

I do wonder though, what is the rule if your hotel room has a mini bar?

PS, to the original poster...I moved from NYC a couple years ago and I've been happier than a pig in **** here in Coppell, TX. I should have moved years ago!

Don

OMG...I nearly fell off my chair!!! :):):)

I do wonder though, what is the rule if your hotel room has a mini bar?

PS, to the original poster...I moved from NYC a couple years ago and I've been happier than a pig in **** here in Coppell, TX. I should have moved years ago!

Don

Oh, my! Can you imagine the legalistic hair-splitting that question would raise in a legislative subcommitte?

Glad you're enjoying Texas, Don.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back