Regional Shooying Facility - Sparks/Washoe County

Sgt. SIG

I just received the following letter from one of my instructors at the Sierra Firearms Academy here in Washoe County and I am passing it along to my fellow Washoe County shooting family to help gather support for this facility. This letter is the only information I have on the matter.

My letter to the Washoe Count Commissioners to look in to this situation has already been sent! :joia:

Good Morning,

I am writing you as a customer of Sierra Firearms Academy because there is a problem at the shooting facility that you need to be aware of. This problem affects all users of the facility and
directly impacts SFA’s operations there. At the moment we are effectively locked out. Our Attorney is acting on it, but the solution might be political pressure.

The problem stems from one belligerent manager in the Parks Dept by the name of Doug Mullen. He has decided to side step the procedures and policies that have allowed the smooth
operation of the facility for 28 years. He, with no understanding or concept of how the facility works, began passing down edicts on the “new rules”. He now allows access only during the
public hours 8-4 Fri – Mon and is in effect locking out the very gun clubs who built this facility, costing them damages as we speak. This goes much deeper than the initial glance, for example
the Roop Co Cowboy shooters routinely camp on the IPSC range during larger matches. No more. The same for Palomino Valley Gun club during their major matches, and now because of the
hours limit, a whole year of benchrest matches have had to be cancelled. The 50 cal Nationals are now at risk, with many more similar problems. All these things reduce income to Washoe Co via the user fees everyone pays.

This will also affect public safety, who use the range 24/7. As a matter of legal response by the clubs, the Parks dept will probably be forced to apply the same rule to them. This facility was
deeded to the county for the use and enjoyment of the general public. So the training of all area Law Enforcement may be affected.

We are starting to put out the call to all interested persons to apply some leverage on the County Commission to remedy the problem. As the number of calls and emails to them
increase, the wisdom of this one individual will be examined more closely. The court actions will begin very soon, and that just wastes all of our tax dollars. Please pass this around to anyone
you know who might be willing to complain. This shooting facility belongs to us all, and there is only one. We can’t afford this kind of thing.

http://www.co.washoe.nv.us/bcc

Thanks for your understanding and assistance in this matter.

Mike Robbins

[email protected]

www.sierrafirearms.com

Apparently the Commission has been receiving letters and e-mails... no official word yet but it seems that some restrictions at the shooting facility are being removed as they consider the matter. :y:

I just received the following letter from one of my instructors at the Sierra Firearms Academy here in Washoe County and I am passing it along to my fellow Washoe County shooting family to help gather support for this facility. This letter is the only information I have on the matter.

My letter to the Washoe Count Commissioners to look in to this situation has already been sent! :joia:

Good Morning,

I am writing you as a customer of Sierra Firearms Academy because there is a problem at the shooting facility that you need to be aware of. This problem affects all users of the facility and
directly impacts SFA’s operations there. At the moment we are effectively locked out. Our Attorney is acting on it, but the solution might be political pressure.

The problem stems from one belligerent manager in the Parks Dept by the name of Doug Mullen. He has decided to side step the procedures and policies that have allowed the smooth
operation of the facility for 28 years. He, with no understanding or concept of how the facility works, began passing down edicts on the “new rules”. He now allows access only during the
public hours 8-4 Fri – Mon and is in effect locking out the very gun clubs who built this facility, costing them damages as we speak. This goes much deeper than the initial glance, for example
the Roop Co Cowboy shooters routinely camp on the IPSC range during larger matches. No more. The same for Palomino Valley Gun club during their major matches, and now because of the
hours limit, a whole year of benchrest matches have had to be cancelled. The 50 cal Nationals are now at risk, with many more similar problems. All these things reduce income to Washoe Co via the user fees everyone pays.

This will also affect public safety, who use the range 24/7. As a matter of legal response by the clubs, the Parks dept will probably be forced to apply the same rule to them. This facility was
deeded to the county for the use and enjoyment of the general public. So the training of all area Law Enforcement may be affected.

We are starting to put out the call to all interested persons to apply some leverage on the County Commission to remedy the problem. As the number of calls and emails to them
increase, the wisdom of this one individual will be examined more closely. The court actions will begin very soon, and that just wastes all of our tax dollars. Please pass this around to anyone
you know who might be willing to complain. This shooting facility belongs to us all, and there is only one. We can’t afford this kind of thing.

http://www.co.washoe.nv.us/bcc

Thanks for your understanding and assistance in this matter.

Mike Robbins

[email protected]

www.sierrafirearms.com

I don't live in Nevada, but I have shot there before. That's a nice place. If that's taken away from the local shooters there, the only option would be BLM land. There's other ranges, but they're far away. They have to fix that problem. I have family in Sparks and Gardnerville and will let them know. They like to shoot too.

Update.

According to Washoe County this has come about due to improper use of the facility by a for profit private company namely the same people that are stirring up the shooting community. SFAs use of the facility including the Washoe County Sheriffs Building and side ranges for their private for profit compnay including after normal range hours without compensation to the tax payers and under questionable circumstances has caused the WC Dept of Parks to review the entire range operation at the facility. This is why the new address for the classroom on the website and new class hours of 8-1600. This includes everyone public, private and agency usage. Dept of parks has assured this will be ironed out as quickly as possible with minimal impact on public and private ie club operations.

Update.

According to Washoe County this has come about due to improper use of the facility by a for profit private company namely the same people that are stirring up the shooting community. SFAs use of the facility including the Washoe County Sheriffs Building and side ranges for their private for profit compnay including after normal range hours without compensation to the tax payers and under questionable circumstances has caused the WC Dept of Parks to review the entire range operation at the facility. This is why the new address for the classroom on the website and new class hours of 8-1600. This includes everyone public, private and agency usage. Dept of parks has assured this will be ironed out as quickly as possible with minimal impact on public and private ie club operations.

Any news on this issue? Has it been resolved?

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back