Machine Guns

mike1234

Is it illegal to have a machine gun in your house? Without a machine gun license? I was talking to a leo and he said it was legal to have in your house.... Anyone have any comments?

You have to have a permit and pay a tax for Title II/Class III weapons. Most people don't own them because they have become very expensive to purchase from private collectors, and because the fees can be pretty high--a few hundred dollars.

Expensive indeed. Google "Class III firearm dealer" and look at some of the prices. $12,000 for a fully automatic M-16 rifle!!

If you're really curious...call said dealer and ask about what it would take to own one. Class III dealers are generally very knowledgable about the requirements.

It is actually a tax of $200 to have a fully automatic firearm, or a short rifle, or a short shotgun, or a silencer. There is an application process and a background check. In the 30's a tax was imposed that was thought to be very prohibitive at $200. The tax was introduced because nobody could find a constitutionally viable way for the U.S. Federal Government to ban fully automatic weapons, shortened rifles/shotguns or silencers.

Is it illegal to have a machine gun in your house? Without a machine gun license? I was talking to a leo and he said it was legal to have in your house.... Anyone have any comments?

Repeat after me "Do not get your legal advice from a cop". Again "Do not get your legal advice from a cop". Again "Do not get your legal advice from a cop". Again "Do not get your legal advice frorm a cop". Again "Do not get your legal advice from a cop".

Is some part of that hard to understand?

Machine guns. The other, other fun toy

It is legal to own a machine gun and or short barrel rifle in Mass. For both it's easiest to have a good relationship with your chief/licensing officer since they need to sign off on all the ATF forms for the transfer of both firearms. People all have ways to get around them but if they're going to give you a license they normally will sign off. The two worst components other than the price if the firearm is the $200 tax stamp and the 4-6 month wait for the ATF to process the forms. The down side is as a civilian you can't own a silencer in Mass period.

Yes. VERY illegal. You do NOT need to be a dealer to own one, but you need to somehow get the "Machine Gun" liscense. Not a lot of those floating around. Never take gun advise from a Cop. If there's anybody that doesn't understand gun law in MA it's them! GOAL will give accurate information.

ADDL INFO as of 01/07:

I actually met a guy who HAS the License to Posses a Machine Gun, never though I'd actually see one. Conveniently he's a retired Statie! But I'm sure that had NOTHING to do with it :no:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back