Incident

retiredman

Sharing a story:

My wife and I went camping in the mountains in California. We went to a place named Kennedy Meadows.

Kennedy Meadows is where people do deer hunting and camp. Elevation --- High.

It was like 106 in the valley and we wanted to be cool, and it was -- like down to the 20's at night.

I decided to take our little chihuahua for a walk so as a precaution I put on my Ruger P90 in a holster in case I should run into a wild animal.

While walking through the campground with my dog on a leash, a full size German Shepard spotted us and came running at us.

The dog lunged at my dog and I gave a yank and lifted my dog up and at the same time kicked the other dog as hard as I could in the side.

The owner came running out of the campground yelling -- why the F! did you kick my dog.

At that point I turned and faced him and put my hand down next to my fire arm and told him -- Keep your dog on a leash and it won't get kicked. I told him he was lucky I didn't shoot his dog.

His face turned real white and then said -- Hey man I'm sorry.

I could tell by his walking he had been drinking and I was concerned, but he took his dog and left.

I continued walking with no more incidents.

I am glad that I had a fire arm with me, and glad it went no further.

Just sharing.

Thanks for sharing. Im glad this is all you have to share with us today (ie, no draw/fire). Good work and stay safe :)

Retiredman,
I think you handled the situation as well as it could of been handled. I'm very glad you, and your dog did not get hurt. The drunk guy acting like his dog, Just came charging in without thinking. And you did what you hade too. I dont think I would of done anything different. Thanks for sharing Glad all of you were not Injured.

I think you did well and it ended well. Much of the time the sight of a firearm is enough to deter any escalation which is what open carriers believe. Hopefully the drunk will learn a lesson, but I doubt it. By the way I have been to Kennedy Meadows about 30 years ago. It is usually much cooler at that altitude(over 7000ft) than in The Peoples Republic Of Stockton where I used to live. You showed good sense and Im glad it ended well.

Well done and handled very appropriately. I had a similar situation happen to me a few months ago. Only problem is I have a 120 pound Mastiff and there is no jerking her off the ground to protect her. I had to place myself between her and the other dog and ended up delivering several kicks to the dogs side before the owner came out and got the dog. Somewhere between the third and fourth kick I unholstered my carry and had it at the ready. Not sure if I was going to use it to protect my dog, but certainly was going to use it if the dog set its sights on me. The owner saw the gun and threatened to call the police. I holstered my gun and held my cell phone out to him and said "Go ahead and I'll pay for the call. When your done talking to them, I need to tell them about a dangerous unleashed dog in the neighborhood and that I'm going to swear out a warrant for the dog seizure and citation to the owner." Last I ever saw of both of them! :)

Very familiar with Kennedy Meadows - used to hunt and hike there a lot. My chihuahua was opened up and almost killed by a larger dog and I'm glad yours faired much better. However, I would caution owners of small dogs that launching them into the air by their neck with the leash can be harmful. I believe in this case it was fully necessary, but be sure to check them out afterward should they be involved in such a situation. Also, if carrying concealed, it would be brilliant to say something like, " I should have shot your dog!" both letting the careless dog owner know that you are armed, that you chose a less-than-lethal choice, and you could still choose to shoot the owner! Great job - Bravo!

Answer Yes I open carried up there in the hunting area!

Answer My dog had a full harness on it's body so no harm.

Temperature does get cold there at night! it got in the 20's when we were there.

Time for a sheriff to arrive there is like 50 minutes average according to those that live up there.

That is a take care of it yourself area.

Retiredman, I hadn't considered a harness - good for you! You had already prepared for such an eventuality - great forethought and preparation. Also, as few Sheriff's deputies as there are to patrol that area, 50 minutes is probably positive thinking. You are absolutely correct that you are on your own on that mountain. I'm glad you were able to keep everyone under control! ;)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back