just got my motorcycle license.

nraynes

I just got my motorcycle license and I bought an 89 yamaha radian. Fun little bike and bot to loud. But the other day I stopped at the gas station and a person there said "oh great another biker thug" and on my way inside to pay, heckled me saying "what gunna rob the store now with your gun?"

Just a little venting. I have also noticed that no one notices a bike on the road. :/ Im losing faith in people everyday.

I just got my motorcycle license and I bought an 89 yamaha radian. Fun little bike and bot to loud. But the other day I stopped at the gas station and a person there said "oh great another biker thug" and on my way inside to pay, heckled me saying "what gunna rob the store now with your gun?"

Just a little venting. I have also noticed that no one notices a bike on the road. :/ Im losing faith in people everyday.

That's harsh, it's not even like that up here in MN. I see bikes, scooters, & mo-peds daily. Sorry to hear it's like that where you live.

There will always be people who think if one has a bike you are a gangster. I used to take out my girlie roadster (Harley) to go to Busch Stadium games. It only make sense to drive it because i can practically park it anywhere and be able to go home ahead of the crowd. Don't worry about what other people think or say. If you are happy with what you have, go ahead and enjoy it. When the joy of what you do becomes a routine, it will become boring...then it's time to move on...

Cheers...life is too short to worry about other people. Be the best of what you are with what you have.

Congrats! Don't let the idiots of the world ruin your joy. Ride and keep the rubber on the road and the shiny side up!

Congrats! Don't let the idiots of the world ruin your joy. Ride and keep the rubber on the road and the shiny side up!

+1 Exactly!

I've rode bikes for a while while carrying (both cruisers and sport bikes) and there are always going to be idiots out there.

Have fun and be safe.

I ride daily when the weathers ok here in Ohio. I ride a big old goldwing and as soon as the weather hits 35-40 deg people here ride.
Not alot issue being a biker here other then people never watch for you, always assume they don't see you.
Being on a nice quite Honda no one hears you either, not like being on a Harley.
Just plan on not being seen and assume they don't see you.

Right. My pseudonym reveals what I ride.

Always ride as if every other vehicle is out to kill you. It will keep you safe. As for the idiots and their remarks, I hope that they were kidding.

Keep the shiny side up, sir.

Haha I ride also and carry usually everytime I'm on it, people will always have something negitove to say just smile and tell them you're on the way to pick up their girl! Haha no but really don't let it ruin your day at the end of. The day you're still the on riding and. Enojoying it some people just get jealous. Oh btw don't always keep the rubber on the ground!!

Just remember they're only two things between you and Jesus when you're on a Bike, Asphalt and Steel. Your fault, their fault, no-one's fault, IT'S OVER in a flash and most don't make it through. Used to ride a Rice Burner but gave it up due to the odds of surviving. Be Safe, enjoy and keep your eyes open, no one else does when they're driving!

That guy at the gas station was an idiot. Don't let it bother you. The more I deal with the general public the less faith I have in our fellow man.

Stay alert on that bike! Drivers look right through you.

Agree with most here. I ride a 2004 yamaha r1. I don't get that attitude luckily. But I do have to explain regularly that it's better to be slightly aggressive on a motorcycle than to ride neutral or defensive.

congratulations on getting your liscense> The freedom of the open road is something they would not understand. Hence the saying If I had to explain you wouldn't understand. I have over 300,000 miles on 2 wheels and always carry. You will find idiots in whatever you do and this person was just one of many. You will also find some that love to look and talk bikes and will strike up a conversation with strangers. Enjoy your ride for yourself. FLHTPI/FLSTC/FXSTC are mine

Not really much different than dealing with Anti-gunners, except unless you are open carrying they don't know that you have a gun..
When I was little my dad and I were out on his Honda 550/4 at K-Mart.. We were getting ready to get on the bike and two elderly ladies suddenly saw us and jumped and started walking farther around us (My dad was about 58 at the time) My dad spoke out to them and said.. Ladies.. MY bike don't make no noise and he starts it up.. The ladies even responded and agreed it was very quiet.. He changed two minds that day..
I'm glad to report after years and years of riding "quiet" bikes, my dad never did get in an accident on a bike..
SO, just like if someone made an anti-gun comment to you, try to say something that challenges their thinking rather than pissing them off..

The Yellow one's my ride!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly they weren't joking and I didn't say anything, I just payed my bill got on my bike and rode off. My little yamaha isn't that loud and it's small. People never see me on the road and that's why the clutch and horn are my best friend.

As for the heckler at the station, he needs his arse whupped until it learns a little respect for people. People like that are the thugs that they complain about. As for people ignoring you on the rode I can tell you from both sides it is true that they do not see you. People are looking out for cars and a motorcycle does not register in the brain. It isn't anything purposeful or anything else other than they really just do not see you. I remember back from high school physics discussing how a person uses the two headlights of a car and the width between them to judge the speed and distance of an oncoming car. A motorcycle only has one so it is harder in day or night. Be careful and safe, have fun but remember that in an accident with a car you are probably going to get the worse end of the deal no matter who is in the right.

BTW, I seldom ride any more other than my ATV but I have had a motorcycle license for over 40 years.

Ignore the Cretans, they are jealous of your gas milege, 3-5 gallon tanks are fun at the pump....

I'm 6'4", wear black leathers, dark sunglasses, full black helmet when I ride, no one bothers me, I credit card it at the pump and get a receipt, don't want to be charged as a drive away so I want proof....

N just as CCW when riding the bike drive as though every one wants to kill you.... watch those hubcaps on stopped cars you can see them move (rotate) long before you will be able to actually see the vehicle creeping out...

Been riding 43 years. I've always considered myself "invisible" when riding, that and loud pipes,has always worked for me. Never have had anyone give me any lip, I think they just knew better. And always remember, "you don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding". :biggrin:

I have seen both those videos before and I will admit that I failed miserably on both almost when it was pointed out to me. Both are very good examples of how we do not see motorcycles on the highways.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back