have you ever had a friend....

Had another "encounter" a few years back at a Barnes and Noble. I was paying for my purchases and while digging for my B&N discount card, my NRA card fell out onto the counter. You would have thought I had dropped a live snake there from her reaction.

I picked up the card and tucked it away. That would have been the end of it, except she just HAD to give me a piece of her "mindset" about it. She started out: "I told my husband years ago that if he EVER brought a gun into the house, me and the girl (Curious phrasing, that. "The girl" ???) would leave forever."

With my usual propensity for returing fire when necessary, I asked: "You still married?" She affirmed so. I told her that I found it surprising because if it had been me.... "I would have told you not to let the door hit you on the butt on the way out." Needless to say, she didn't appreciate my glibness of tongue.... but at least had the common sence to realize that I was a person that was not prepared to put up with her crap. So she shut up and merely was content to glower at me until I left.

GG

I live in Gary, Indiana (the second most liberal city in America behind Detroit) and around here, law abiding citizens associate guns with gangbangers, so it's not an issue I really care to discuss with anyone here. And open carry? Forget about it; while technically it's legal with a permit anywhere in the state, my corner of the state is rabidly anti gun, and someone who looks like me (a tall, bald Black man covered with tattoos) is sure to end up on the ground with a policeman's gun to my head and a knee in my neck if I'm seen doing it. No, I shouldn't be made to pay for the actions of criminals, but around here, that's the reality.

Templing,

This is an issue across the Nation. One thing we offer up to our students is that if you have a friend that would be willing to sit through the classroom portion of the CCW class, we'd love to have them so they can get the information.

Even some pro-2A folks take the stance you mentioned.

I'll PM you later today with the publication number of the 2010 DOJ Violent Statistics manual. You can also get the FBI's UCR (Uniform Crime Reports) online if you'd like to show statistics and trends in certain crimes. Sometimes the UCR info is enough to wake some folks up, im some cases it has the opposite impact.

I can be as to the point as Gunny was above. Sometimes that brain-to-mouth filter simply isn't in place or it's bypassed momentarily.

If he's truly a friend he'll respect your decision. Abide by the Gunny in the best Sam Elliot voice you can...."Don't ask, don't tell". Remember, should you wind up together in a situation where you need to save a life it could very well be his.

I'm in the same situation with my parents. What they were told: I carry every day, everwhere I go. I'm at peace with myself and who I am, but I won't let some scumbag dictate when I go or if I go without a fight. If you don't like that I carry keep your butt in Illinois where you'll go to jail for defending yourself. If you love me as your son, respect my wishes when you visit and realize that it could someday save YOUR life. Jesus said: Let he who hath not a sword sell his garment and get one. (Luke 22:36)This one got their attention.

My only concern is that your friend might mention you carry at a very dangerous moment, two of you walking situation should arise and he mentions you have a gun. Dangerous.

My best friend knows I have a CCW. She grew up with guns, I didn't. She doesn't want to know that I carry, so I don't tell her. It is as simple as that.

Your right to carry a gun is just that, your right. Whether your friend likes it or not, doesn`t matter. Its your choice to get a ccw permit to protect your self, your family, and property. If your friend wants to be a sheep his whole life thats on him. Should something bad happen beyond his control he will just have to call the police and hope it doesn`t take them an hour to get there.

I actually have bookmarks on my dumbphone of the Local Crime that goes on. Typically I point them to that. When they say, so what its not where you live...I often reply along the lines of, I wonder if the Jews had the same thought pattern in the 1940s. They usually shut up after that.
I've actually opened the eyes of about 4 of my friends and they now have paper work to get a permit. 2 others ive helped write letters to get a CCW permit(ny is a pain in many counties)
I'd say its been a success helpin people understand its not "IF".....its "When"

Templing,

This is an issue across the Nation. One thing we offer up to our students is that if you have a friend that would be willing to sit through the classroom portion of the CCW class, we'd love to have them so they can get the information.

Even some pro-2A folks take the stance you mentioned.

I'll PM you later today with the publication number of the 2010 DOJ Violent Statistics manual. You can also get the FBI's UCR (Uniform Crime Reports) online if you'd like to show statistics and trends in certain crimes. Sometimes the UCR info is enough to wake some folks up, im some cases it has the opposite impact.

I can be as to the point as Gunny was above. Sometimes that brain-to-mouth filter simply isn't in place or it's bypassed momentarily.

If he's truly a friend he'll respect your decision. Abide by the Gunny in the best Sam Elliot voice you can...."Don't ask, don't tell". Remember, should you wind up together in a situation where you need to save a life it could very well be his.

I'm in the same situation with my parents. What they were told: I carry every day, everwhere I go. I'm at peace with myself and who I am, but I won't let some scumbag dictate when I go or if I go without a fight. If you don't like that I carry keep your butt in Illinois where you'll go to jail for defending yourself. If you love me as your son, respect my wishes when you visit and realize that it could someday save YOUR life. Jesus said: Let he who hath not a sword sell his garment and get one. (Luke 22:36)This one got their attention.

My mother is the same way, she doesn't approve so very much of ME carrying, a 21 year old, law abiding, young adult. But, she could care less about my 70 year old father who has Alzheimer's and Parkinson (he thinks he'll be able to re-qualify for his CCW, I always joke with him that he doesn't have a chance cause I don't think he could hold his .44 mag anymore)

My father was and is all for me carrying, he gave me the money to take my class and was kind enough to provide me with a firearm. Some people like to live in la la land about crime and guns, until it happens to them.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back