Taking a Life

R

Renbots

Good article.
http://www.carryutah.com/ccw-articles/just-because-its-legal-that-doesnt-make-it-smart-and

Personally I do not see much value to this article. I think there are 2 very important questions a person should ask themselves before having a fire arm for self defense. #1 is could I actually shoot someone. #2 is can I live with myself if I shoot someone. If the answer is no, then don't have a fire arm. In most self defense situations, you are going to have a split second to make the decision to shoot or not. If some sob puts me in that situation, they are going to get shot. You have no time to think that you are shooting someones son, father, etc. etc. If you interrupt someone stealing your TV from your home, you have no idea if they are armed or not. Do you want to take the chance the idiot is or not. I will not take that chance. I take a very dim view of someone who would choose to steal from me or do me harm. I personally do not care if they are someones son, father, etc. They made their choice when tried to steal or do harm to me.

Waking up to find an intruder in your home is vastly different from a chance encounter in public (i.e. road rage, a drunk, a bully, etc.). It's one thing to break into a home that probably isn't occupied. It's another thing entirely to break into a home where people are obviously present. In that case I'm going to assume that the intruder has more than just theft on their mind.

Since I started carrying a number of years ago, I've become much more tolerant....much more likely to turn the other cheek. If at all possible I want to avoid any situation where I might need my pistol. When somebody breaks into my home while I'm there, that dreaded situation has come to me whether I like it or not. In that case my level of tolerance plummets and I don't believe I'll suffer any guilt-trips because of it. As a LEO once told me, better to be alive and answering questions than to be dead and silent.

I agree with everything said . I personally feel that people who make the choice to commit crimes have given all self concern away and are aware that they might die in the process of doing the crime , and being a law abiding citizen it is my duty to defend my self and my family at all costs

Not only have criminals given all self concern away, if they have been through the criminal justice system, they know they don't have much to fear and if caught they will be back on the street before the police can finish writing their report.

THANK YOU SOONER. COULD NOT SAY IT BETTER. Granted I have never killed anyone or even came close to any kind of confrontation that I would consider dangerous to me or my family, but I am absolutely convinced that if I have a presumption of imminent death or great bodily injury I will not not hesitate to use my firearm and will not give one thought to who it was or whether they died or not. If it was in my house, my one and only concern, considering the fact that it will occur once my locked bedroom door has been breached, will be the need to repair the door jam and probably replace the carpet.

Long ago when I decieded to get my CCW I never considered the possibilities of taking someones life. But times were different back then.Now a days you can't even trust your nieghbors.let alone a stranger walking down your street.

For whatever reason people have changed and the change is not for good. I trust no one besides the close circle of friends that we have. Now that I'm a father of four children i'm always looking for danger or an potential threat.

You just never know these days. I know that if the situation ever happened I could, and would take a life to protect my family.I pray it never comes. I know that mentally it would bother me a little, as I'm only human but better them, than me or my family.

I will share a incident that happened.
My brother and I were out rabbit hunting in a wash in California many years ago when no one cared.

We didn't know that the National Guard was practicing in the wash that day. They were hidden in some bushes and we walked by and never saw them.

After we passed them about 50 yards they dropped a camouflage and had a machine gun with blanks.

They started shooting our way like it was real funny to them.

My brother had a 12 gauge single shot - shot gun. I had a 410.

Without thinking both he and I turned around and shot there direction.

Guess we never hit nothing, because they grabed the machine gun and hauled rear.

In my opinion natural survival kicks in, and you do what you have to.

If I am not cornered, I will not draw and fire. If I am cornered, I will draw and fire.

In my house, I am cornered.

If I am in a field of fire, I am cornered.

If the assailant is close and I have no time to retreat, I am cornered.

As to the moral content, I have killed. But in spite of that, I still adhere to the moral principle that I should only kill to save my own (or my Spouse's) life. If I am cornered I am in peril and there is no moral issue.

Had a great uncle that had killed several people (never served time). As far as I know was justified in everyone. But still saw the faces of all every person he killed as he went to sleep at night.
The taking of anothers life is not somthing to be taken lightly. But at the same time I do not think i could live with myself if i let my family or an innocent be harmed if i could prevent it. Hope I never have to find out.

The taking of anothers life is not somthing to be taken lightly. But at the same time I do not think i could live with myself if i let my family or an innocent be harmed if i could prevent it. Hope I never have to find out.
I hope it never comes to it but my biggest hope is if it ever happens I don't hesitate or fail. I understand taking a life is a huge burden to take on yourself, especially when its face to face. But losing my family would be so much worse I can't even dream it in my worst nightmare.

I am more than willing to give my life for my family like I believe most of you are. If you are willing to die for them, are you willing to take on that burden and deal with the emotional and possible financial affects of it as well? I will never know how I will deal with it unless it happens, but I'm more than willing to deal with it if that's what it takes to safeguard my family.

The article its self only had one part I didn't think was ignorant, and that was him saying more people need to think about what it means to take a life in self defense.

Taking a life

Many people are afraid of the consequences after a public shooting, for example: a good friend of my brother was being robbed by 3 men while walking alone in a alleyway when he pulled out a knife and stabbed one of them in the neck (killing him) the other two men picked up boulders and cornered him and stoned him until he was almost helpless, one of the other guys cAlled police and when police arrived they ended up turning the story on my brothers friend saying they came to help their friend that was being robbed then came to find out he was stabbed to death in front of them. Police ended up taking my brothers friend to jail where he is still serving a murder charge (aggregated assault) and he was the one being robbed to begin with but since there was not enough evidence to back his story up they took him in and not the other two. After questioning the other men they let them go after 3 days. Here we are 12 years later and he is still serving a sentence until 2023. When you are alone and no one is around to tell what happened be very weary on the situation because you can be taken as a criminal being as innocent as a Boston priest.

I'm a situation where you are in a public shooting how do you retain a attorney if you font already have one?

fatcat:213506 said:
Had a great uncle that had killed several people (never served time). As far as I know was justified in everyone. But still saw the faces of all every person he killed as he went to sleep at night.

To me it is this...first never act unless in the gravest extreme. Avoid all confrontation if possible. Leave your ego at home. But if it goes down, then act. Neither outcome is optimal, but one is clearly better than the other. Regret for having to take a life is better than regret for failing to act. But each of us must do what we can to establish an apriori trigger point where that line is crossed...as part of our situational awareness.

To those that talk about being able to shoot I would say this, even to those who say they have shot, in almost ALL CASES it will be within "blood splatter" distance.

I am talking to where there are not across the valley or city block where you are in combat but where you will see/smell and hear them.

I am like Sooner, if I am up I am armed and will defend me and mine at all costs. Any time you invade my space you are "threatening" me!

Personally I do not see much value to this article. I think there are 2 very important questions a person should ask themselves before having a fire arm for self defense. #1 is could I actually shoot someone. #2 is can I live with myself if I shoot someone. If the answer is no, then don't have a fire arm. In most self defense situations, you are going to have a split second to make the decision to shoot or not. If some sob puts me in that situation, they are going to get shot. You have no time to think that you are shooting someones son, father, etc. etc. If you interrupt someone stealing your TV from your home, you have no idea if they are armed or not. Do you want to take the chance the idiot is or not. I will not take that chance. I take a very dim view of someone who would choose to steal from me or do me harm. I personally do not care if they are someones son, father, etc. They made their choice when tried to steal or do harm to me.

you are so right on this one

"Human life truly is valuable..."

I'm afraid I have to disagree with or at least put qualifiers on this premise. Yes its valuable but truthfully, I think some lives are more valuable than others. In fact that is really how society (and even government)works.

As far as taking a life for theft of material objects, that is an over-simplification which doesn't take into account the value of a persons blood, sweat, tears put into acquiring those objects. That large screen TV may represent an entire year's savings. Theft a car directly impacts a persons ability to survive in today's world. Sentimental value counts too. Theft of money equals theft of the time it took you to make that money-time you will never have again! Food for thought!

My personal standpoint (one more from the peanut gallery), is if a person breaks into your house, they have officially placed their life in your hands. As far as killing a father, brother, etc, if the man is willing to commit the crime, he has no choice but to accept the consequences, whether it's a bullet in the chest, or a year in prison. If one of my family members broke into someone else's house, and got shot and killed, honestly i would know he put himself in a bad situation, and paid the price. I would feel much remorse if it came to me having to kill a man to protect myself, my family, and my property. It would be hard for a while however, i would not feel guilt for doing so. Once again, when a man commits a crime against another, he puts his life in the other person's hands. Unarmed, a righteous man can only run from evil.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back