How do you like your Ruger?

Patrick Shearer

RugerCarrier
I just traded my KelTec PF9 for a new Ruger SR9c, anyone have this particular 9mm? I like it a lot but, every one has their own opinions. I'm thinking my next purchase (if I don't win it) will be the Ruger LC9, It seems like a pretty nice firearm, do they have a lot of recoil? Heavy trigger or what? My KelTec PF9 had a very heavy trigger, LOTS of recoil...not a recommended gun for a beginner at the range but, I still enjoyed it's ability to conceal well. Thoughts? Comments?

Are you referring to a specific model of Ruger or just in general? I won't mention how many handguns I have but only four are not Rugers. As far as I'm concerned Ruger produces the best buy in a handgun on the current market.

I've had a LC9 for about 6 weeks. The recoil is pretty significant compared to most mid frames, but i personally think its excitable for the size.
Trigger pull is very long and the reset is almost a full style. Meaning you basically have to release to the original position.
I have fired about 300 rounds and no malfunctions as of yet.
Carry is smooth and comfortable. I carry it at 3 o'clock. It's a nice summer carry, but doubt ill use it in winter (im in ny).
It takes awhile to get use to for sure, I still seem to shoot low unless I'm taking all the time in the world.

I'm a Ruger fan I have an LC9 and I love it... too bad LCP is MA illegal, if not i would get that one too and instead i have S%W bodyguard 380. and also good handgun to carry..

I have the SR9C and it is my EDC. Very happy with it. Easy to conceal, very accurate, and eats everything I've fed it. No problems at all. Ruger SR1911 is on the short list.

I LOVE my Ruger SR9c

Ruger SR9c:
1. 9MM (so, virtually anyone can shoot it)
2. Great, out of the box, trigger (so, virtually anyone can shoot it accurately)
3. Ambidextrous controls (obvious benefit)
4. Adjustable back strap (great for smaller hands)
5. Compact (so, it's easily carried)
6. Not much smaller than a full size (so, still good muzzle velocity and site radius)
7. Ten round magazine (because that's all that Massachusetts allows)
8. Extended magazine (in hopes that the ridiculous magazine restrictions will be lifted/defeated)
9. Excellent loaded chamber indicator (obvious benefit)
10. Mass compliant

Love my SR9c

I will not repeat all the good comments above, but will add 2 minor negatives.
The safety is too far back, it is not real natural.
The second is it is a little big. I love the size of the Glock 26, it fits right between the SR9c and the LC9.
It is an easy carry but I am not a very big guy and need to wear somethin a little baggy to prevent prining.

I haven't had the chance to fire a SR9 but I have used a P89 9mm a lot in the past and I couldn't get that thing to jam!!! Just didn't like the mag release.... But Ruger makes some dang good pistols!!!

I much prefer the SR9c to the LC9. The smaller pistol just did not fit my hand as well, and the trigger pull was just too long. The SR9c is reliable, accurate and comfortable to shoot.

Great Gun!

Ruger SR9c:
1. 9MM (so, virtually anyone can shoot it)
2. Great, out of the box, trigger (so, virtually anyone can shoot it accurately)
3. Ambidextrous controls (obvious benefit)
4. Adjustable back strap (great for smaller hands)
5. Compact (so, it's easily carried)
6. Not much smaller than a full size (so, still good muzzle velocity and site radius)
7. Ten round magazine (because that's all that Massachusetts allows)
8. Extended magazine (in hopes that the ridiculous magazine restrictions will be lifted/defeated)
9. Excellent loaded chamber indicator (obvious benefit)
10. Mass compliant

I agree 100%. I love my SR9C. It is my EDC. It fits my hand very well. I have found it to be very accurate. No issues. Very affordable.

I think Ruger makes a fine handgun. I have three in my arsenal...Mark III target model, SP-101 (.357mag), and LCP.

ruger

I have a ruger P345 45.Cal and I love it! I've had it since 2005 and carried it at work for 2 yrs as a armed guard. I messed up the firing pin by using aluminum case ammo. Ruger sent me a prepaid postage box, I packed it and sent it. With in 2 weeks I had it back. New firing pin, extractor and spring. Gun was test fired and spotless clean when I got it back. Cost me nothing so you made a good choice Ruger is super dependable and they back it for life. Good luck

I've had the LC9 for a couple of months and it has broken with Firing pin problems twice already..

So, Ruger is not on my recommend list.

Compared to my Sig P239, the Sig is solid and never misfired.

Jim

Thank you all for the comments. Living in Northern VA a lot of the gun shops I've been to, talk down about Ruger. Specifically, my model. I heard there were some recalls last year when they first came out because they had a problem with mis-firing. Some of the gun store workers are just pompus idiots that think they know everything about guns. I definitely like my SR9c, love how it shoots compared to my old KelTec PF9 (less recoil slightly). It sure could use it's own specifically designed IWB holster. I was thinking of getting a crossbreed but for one, I'm impatient when it comes to buying. I like to have it right way and Crossbreed tells me 3 weeks or more for delivery. I'm a skinny, tall guy. I ended up getting a Galco leather molded IWB holster that I believe is for the Glock 26. If I had the regular SR9 it would probably fit perfect. For the SR9c, it seems to be a little long but, works fine. Though, it's a little bulky and not easy to conceal if wearing summer clothes. Any suggestions on a good IWB holster for the SR9c (besides the crossbreed) one that they might sell in stores?

Hi Mike - Can you tell me what kind of holster you use? Also, have you ever adjusted the sights on yours? I temtped to adjust for elevation after shooting a hundred rounds. I thought my sights were set low but, it was just me. I shouldn't have touched them because I had a slight issue, I raised it to much and it came apart, I had a heck of a time getting it to stay. No I'm afraid my shot's going to be way off.

Dan

My wife has the SR9, and I loved it so much I got the SR9c, and the trigger on my SR9c is even better. The first time I shot it it caught me off guard it was so much lighter. Lucky for me I started out with a .40 with a lousy trigger (sold it) so, I could really appreciate a good trigger, when I found one. I'm not the greatest ahndgun shot in the world
, but the SR9c helps me keep that fact to myself!

Dan, You asked about the holster I use; well, oddly enough, the one I use the most is a 3 slot open top pancake for an entierly different model (and it's little oversized) but they don't make one for the SR9 or SR9c yet, and this is a very confortable holster as well as versitle (I generally prefer crossdraw, but I can carrry strong side with this, as well) and conceals quite well. I also have a Crossbread IWB but with my sciatica, IWB is not aleways the most comfortable, though nothing against the holster, just my condition. Shoulder holster in the colder weather (under a coat) is easy and comfortable, but I can't wait to find a good 3 slot open top pancake (model specific), when one becomes avaiable.

Holster

Take a look at the Don Hume IWB models. I have one for the SR9 that works very well with my SR9c, but I that think they have a specific one for the SR9c in the H715 product line now. Fits tight to the body and holds the pistol securely. My son is an LEO and his department uses Don Hume products, which I took as a pretty good recommendation.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back