Airsoft Becoming Obsolete For Realistic Training

Airsoft had been a mainstay for several years for me due to realistic function. However plastic bbs just don't have the punch that metal bbs do.

Here are some good ones from Pyramyd Air:

Umarex Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine: $282.00
Umarex H&K MP5-K PDW: $110.00
Umarex PX4 Storm Pistol: $86.00
Umarex Desert Eagle Pistol: $180.00
Umarex Walther CP99 Pistol: $150.00
Umarex Walther PPK/S Pistol: $59.00
Umarex S&W 586 Revolver: $212.00
Umarex SA177 "Glock" Pistol: $56.00
Umarex HPP Pistol: $66.00
Cybergun Sigarms P-226 X5 Pistol: $100.00
Cybergun Mini-Uzi: $150.00

Not Available from Pyramyd Air!!!

P-3 M134-A2 Minigun: If you ask, you can't afford it
Just imagine the fun of spitting out 6mm steel bbs up to 600fps with a ROF at 3,000+rpm.

Ever rub two sticks together until one catches fire?

Same principle.

I think I'll stick to the Tried and True Zippo Method for fire starting.

I nearly cause the toilet bowl to explode when I put multiple household cleaners in it. It was utterly filthy and I figured I'd throw every cleaner I could find in the bowl.

Shot a Basketball size fireball out of my rearend once to see if it really work. The poor Dog was proof because he didn't have any whiskers afterwards. That wasn't my fault. He put his nose by the Southern Exit when I let it rip.

So yeah, I know about the whole principle thing.

I think I'll stick to the Tried and True Zippo Method for fire starting.

I nearly cause the toilet bowl to explode when I put multiple household cleaners in it. It was utterly filthy and I figured I'd throw every cleaner I could find in the bowl.

Shot a Basketball size fireball out of my rearend once to see if it really work. The poor Dog was proof because he didn't have any whiskers afterwards. That wasn't my fault. He put his nose by the Southern Exit when I let it rip.

So yeah, I know about the whole principle thing.

I was speaking more of the friction principle, not the catalytic reaction or combustibility principles.

But that was funny, especially the dogs quick lesson. Has he ever sniffed a rear end since without flinching? :biggrin:

I was speaking more of the friction principle, not the catalytic reaction or combustibility principles.

But that was funny, especially the dogs quick lesson. Has he ever sniffed a rear end since without flinching? :biggrin:

Don't have a clue. Was my step grandfather's and when he and my grandmother divorced soon after she sent the poor pooch to the Pound.

The Crew might have had the TV plugged in as there's no way it could catch on fire without electricity running through it.

Some machine gun shoots use junked cars (with no gas tanks) as targets. If shot enough, the cars will catch on fire, and they're not plugged in either. The hot projectiles impacting the interior plastic and seats cause them to catch on fire.

The Crew might have had the TV plugged in as there's no way it could catch on fire without electricity running through it.

With that thought do not work on old TV's the Picture tube in an old CRT TV acts as a capacitor and stores quite a charge of around 20,000 volts for a long time after being unplugged. Many a TV repairman has had the #$%^ knocked out of him by an unplugged TV and the shock could be fatal although I have not heard of a fatality.

Now where did the fire come from in the video? The friction of that many bb's hitting it caused a lot of heat to be generated, enough to start a fire but I don't know what was actually burning.

Airsoft had been a mainstay for several years for me due to realistic function. However plastic bbs just don't have the punch that metal bbs do.

Here are some good ones from Pyramyd Air:

Umarex Beretta CX4 Storm Carbine: $282.00
Umarex H&K MP5-K PDW: $110.00
Umarex PX4 Storm Pistol: $86.00
Umarex Desert Eagle Pistol: $180.00
Umarex Walther CP99 Pistol: $150.00
Umarex Walther PPK/S Pistol: $59.00
Umarex S&W 586 Revolver: $212.00
Umarex SA177 "Glock" Pistol: $56.00
Umarex HPP Pistol: $66.00
Cybergun Sigarms P-226 X5 Pistol: $100.00
Cybergun Mini-Uzi: $150.00

Not Available from Pyramyd Air!!!

P-3 M134-A2 Minigun: If you ask, you can't afford it
Just imagine the fun of spitting out 6mm steel bbs up to 600fps with a ROF at 3,000+rpm.

Are you forgetting why Airsoft exists? Force on force training in as safe a manner as possible without live ammo. Step up to metal BB's and you're going to start causing some serious injury....the famous phrase "You'll put your eye out" comes to mind.

The mini-gun is absolutely kick-butt! I made the mistake of calling about a price on one only to discover that I could buy a .50BMG for that kind of money. Still, it perks my interest and I'd love to have one (thinking lottery winnings purchase).

That video has been recycles a number of times over teh last few years, it is actually an Echo1 Minigun.

Link Removed

They are still a few grand, but it is cool as HE77.

I also agree, the idea of airsoft is primarily the force on force training. And still if you get too close the plastic BB's can do some damage. Going with metal is just suicidal. Or homicidal depending on what end of the gun you are on. I still have scars on my arms from getting hit with airsoft guns years ago.

YouTube - Alcohol and Airsoft

NO, I am not the guy getting shot in this video, but it does show the damage an airsoft gun can do. :hang3:

The TV has enough power stored in it to catch fire when shot. as for how hard a .20gr plastic BB can hit i have had to dig them out of me with a knife and tweezers.

Hey, just curious, y'all said that using metal BBs in a force-on-force exercise would be a bad idea, but what about paintball guns? I would like to actually be able to see that I hit or not.

Not anymore. They are making milsim paintball guns, more realistic recoil, rate of fire, and .68 Cal balls hurt like hell. I would say paintball is better than airsoft for tactical /moving and shooting.practice.

If you think airsoft is becoming obsolete for realistic training, you could not be more wrong. I just played in a airsoft game with 40 people all using replica guns and full tactical gear. The only thing that made it different from a real war zone was the lack of blood from being shot.

Deserteagle:217295 said:
If you think airsoft is becoming obsolete for realistic training, you could not be more wrong. I just played in a airsoft game with 40 people all using replica guns and full tactical gear. The only thing that made it different from a real war zone was the lack of blood from being shot.

Paintball still has a ways to go to catch up to airsofts 1 : 1 replica guns. But for airsoft to be a serious contender in training, they need to downsize their ammo capacity majorly. The average aeg holds what, 200 bb's? What is the rate of fire for them as well? The pain also needs to be amped up, I don't feel bb's through my vest. I might on my arms, or other less covered parts. While Paintball is almost to replica size and weight, it has the rate of fire and capacity realism now with rap4 t68 magazine fed markers and mods for other models. You will also feel a Paintball through most clothing. Though booth realms train poorly in cover vs concealment. Most bullets will go through anything on a Paintball and airsoft field (exceptions with those fields that put money into concrete buildings, rare)

I just went and looked online at some airsoft...it seems 200 is on the low end, most hold 350+...

I would love to open a self defense scenario field...taking students through a home invasion scenario. Getting up the courage to confront the invader. Practicing what you would say when you come upon said intruder. Sometimes the bg runs away or gives up, sometimes the bg turns to fight. Giving students that split second decision to shoot or not. Correct movements through a tight space house, vs open space yard. Advantage of knowing your home layout.

So many scenarios where live fire with a Paintball or airsoft would help immensely on a dynamic threat.

Airsoft has 2 types of magazines. High capacity mags hold hundreds of rounds and are not allowed in competitions or games, and they also require constant winding to keep bbs under pressure and loading. Low capacity ones hold less than 100 bbs depending on what gun the magazine is for. The low capacity mag for my MP5 holds around 30 bbs, pretty much the same as what a real MP5 holds.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back