Permits to Purchase

Teufel

Aside from the permit to purchase, what else would I need to purchase a hand gun through a private sale from another military member in NC?

Does it even matter where the gun comes from?

Situation:

Myself and a guy I serve with in the military are both stationed in NC.
I have a MA driver's license and CCW, he has a South Dakota permit or what ever they do up there.

Now if he purchase a gun in his home state and brings it to NC, can he sell it to me privately with any paper work that is needed.

Can this even be done?

The more I think about this I think the more confused I get.:confused:

Last edited:
As the purchaser it doesn't mater to you where the gun came from (as long as it is legally owned by the seller).

a few years ago, a buddy of mine stationed at Bragg said he had to get a form from the Provost Marshall (I think) to give to the Sheriff to get his purchase permit. Other than that there shouldn't be any other paperwork for a private sale, but a bill of sale is always good to have for both of your sakes.

I was told by a friend who lives in N.C. that if you have a

N.C. concealed permit then you don't need the permit from the sherrif to purchase a gun from an FFL... so in that same regard if you have the same permit you also would not need one to purchase from a individual in state. In this same regard possibly, if you have have permits or other items that are reconized as the same as a concealed carry permit in N.C. then you might not need the purchase permit....

now as you can tell I'm not a lawyer and have never played on on T.V... I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express once though.

Cya

Teuful, cover your a-- and do it through an FFL (gun shop) might cost you $20 but who needs the aggravation later on

what do you need if you are out of state?
being in SC it is not unliklely to find myself in a NC gun shop, and might even want to buy a gun...

will my SC CWP be enough?

what do you need if you are out of state?
being in SC it is not unliklely to find myself in a NC gun shop, and might even want to buy a gun...

will my SC CWP be enough?

Nope! Only the NC concealed carry permit satisfies the purchase permit requirement. No other CCW permits are accepted for purchase of a handgun in NC. Even if reciprocity exists. Out of state purchases must be through a FFL.

Teuful, cover your a-- and do it through an FFL (gun shop) might cost you $20 but who needs the aggravation later on

I agree with this.Both parties go to a local pawn/gun shop, the seller can tranfer the gun to you through the shop,and use your CCW to get the gun from the shop. Problem solved.

I thought the buyer had to be a resident of N.C. and be able to show proof of same, when going through an FFL. would that be what the letter from the provost marshall is all about.

N.C.'s permit to purchase law is in my opinion a hold over from the old Jim Crow laws.. that allowed the sheriff to decide who could buy a gun.

According to the ATF I am a resident of N.C. I have (actually my wife has) a summer home in Madison County... I'm still trying to figure out how I can get a N.C. concealed carry permit and etc. Anybody got any ideas how you do this?

I thought the buyer had to be a resident of N.C. and be able to show proof of same, when going through an FFL. would that be what the letter from the provost marshall is all about.

N.C.'s permit to purchase law is in my opinion a hold over from the old Jim Crow laws.. that allowed the sheriff to decide who could buy a gun.

According to the ATF I am a resident of N.C. I have (actually my wife has) a summer home in Madison County... I'm still trying to figure out how I can get a N.C. concealed carry permit and etc. Anybody got any ideas how you do this?

As I understand it, you will be able to obtain a purchase permit or CCW permit while on active duty and stationed in NC. The only problem you may run into is the fact that you are from MA. Because MA has a lot of "weird" gun laws, your ability to purchase a gun in NC may be in conflict. I would think this is not going to cause you a problem while here in NC, but may cause some issues when you try to bring the guns back to MA.

The best way to solve this is to go to the local SO and ask about getting purchase permits and or a CCW. If you are at Bragg, you will need to go to the Cumberland CO SO located in the building next to the courthouse in downtown Fayetteville. When you walk in go to the left and it id the first door on your right. The folks there are great and can answer any questions you may have.

Here is a link to the CCSO that explains the process:
Link Removed

Good luck.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back