Anyone know of someone caught carrying outside their "sportsman" restriction?

lmao

I live in suffolk county new york WE MUST carry concealed going to a range The law in new york city and the 5 boroughs is you must carry your pistol in a locked box CASE CLOSED

your just another one of those long island guys that take the term CARRY to and from the range means carry conceal.you can only the weapon in a case locked away from ammo.the 24 hour range thing is a joke

There is no hope for this guy Armed an rdy I guess every time i buy a new pistol and go to the precinct and take my gun out of my holster in front of about 8 to 10 leos and then after they record the serial # put it back in my holster and leave they all should have arrested me I guess yhere not doing there job

not true

There is no hope for this guy Armed an rdy I guess every time i buy a new pistol and go to the precinct and take my gun out of my holster in front of about 8 to 10 leos and then after they record the serial # put it back in my holster and leave they all should have arrested me I guess yhere not doing there job

when i buy a new gun i get it ammended on my license. i dont carry the gun to the precent . they get the numbers off the receipt.i dont think you have a ccw license at all

The law in suffolk and nassau county is when you purchase a new gun it must be taken to the precinct for inspection it is then added to your ccw license

so what

The law in suffolk and nassau county is when you purchase a new gun it must be taken to the precinct for inspection it is then added to your ccw license

you still cant carry conceal . you wish you could.why try to add your 2 cents when you cant . i from upstate ny .where i have an unrestricted licese and non res for pa.just go to the range big man thats all u can do

This discussion borders on the ridiculous. Let me explain a couple of things.
1. NY penal code only allows concealed carry. There is no provision for open carry. The law is not enforced while you are hunting, but tecnically you can't open carry.
2. While some judges put restrictions on your license with the intent that you not carry during some activities, NY Supreme court precedent has been set that "a license to carry is a licence to carry" no matter what restrictions the county judge has put on the license. So while the judge may get mad if you are caught violating the restriction and pull your license (he can at any time no matter what you do), you cannot be prosecuted for carrying illegally if you have a license and are carrying concealed.
3. NY City (5 boroughs) is a totally different animal. NY state licenses are not valid there. NYC is like a different state.

rediculous

This discussion borders on the ridiculous. Let me explain a couple of things.
1. NY penal code only allows concealed carry. There is no provision for open carry. The law is not enforced while you are hunting, but tecnically you can't open carry.
2. While some judges put restrictions on your license with the intent that you not carry during some activities, NY Supreme court precedent has been set that "a license to carry is a licence to carry" no matter what restrictions the county judge has put on the license. So while the judge may get mad if you are caught violating the restriction and pull your license (he can at any time no matter what you do), you cannot be prosecuted for carrying illegally if you have a license and are carrying concealed.
3. NY City (5 boroughs) is a totally different animal. NY state licenses are not valid there. NYC is like a different state.

you make no sence why would the judge put a restriction on if you can still full carry do you work at a circus because you sound like a clown

Gentlemen, Last year 2010 I had an Restricted Pistol Permit, (Target & Hunting) in Erie County, New York. I applied for an Upgrade to Unrestricted and, Was Issued Unrestrited. But, For years when my Permit was Restricted I Carried Concealed Wether I was Hunting Or, Target Shooting my Weapon was always Concealed. Over the course of about 3 years I had an encounter with an NYSDEC Officer while I was Carrying And, 1 Run in with an Local LEO at both times I advised The LEO'S that I was Carrying Both Officers Checked my Permit and sent me on my way. What Im triing to say is If you have an Valid New York State Pistol Permit you are Allowed and, Required to Carry Concealed This Information is Varifible at Erie Counties Pistol Permit Clerk's Office 716-858-6600 I Understand that each County Regulations may be Different. When I received my Permit I asked Will Fowler Head of Erie Counties Pistol Permit Office on Proper Procedure For Carrying Concealed with Restricted Permit and, Mr. Fowler Advised me To Always Carry Concealed While Going too and, From Where ever I was going while Carrying my Weapon and Both Officers Confirmed that During my Brief Incounters with them I hope this helps you too In your quest for Information on right & wrong Also has a second source of Information New York Penal Codes also Says CARRY CONCEALED

Last edited:
armed-n-rdy:

Only a clown would spout off like you do without checking. I suggest you get some legal advice.

I have good authority for my assertion.

can you tell me what the word restricted means

Ok armed-an-rdy..Lets end this now. You have been quoted letters from judges, actual law and you still insist that everyone in NY with a restricted pistol permit is wrong. As for your question on what restricted means...It means we have limitations on when we can carry. If you have a restricted drivers license, you can still drive but mabye only till 9pm. If you go to the white house you can still get in but your restricted to certain areas. If you have a restricted pistol permit you can still carry concealed, but only to and from what the restriction says. My permit says recreational purposes. I know that is vague, but I have written instructions from the judge stating that I can carry concealed to and from..hiking, golfing,walking, riding a bike, riding an atv or snowmobile, jogging, boating, birdwatching, at work, bowling, hunting, target practice, and many other "recreational activities". You say that if the right LEO stops me, I will be in trouble. I cant be arrested, i cant lose my permit unless I do something stupid or illegal. But I will tell you this, I cant because of my restriction, go to the store at 1am to pick up some milk(unless im walking) and carry concealed. Hope you understand now.

Ok armed-an-rdy..Lets end this now. You have been quoted letters from judges, actual law and you still insist that everyone in NY with a restricted pistol permit is wrong. As for your question on what restricted means...It means we have limitations on when we can carry. If you have a restricted drivers license, you can still drive but mabye only till 9pm. If you go to the white house you can still get in but your restricted to certain areas. If you have a restricted pistol permit you can still carry concealed, but only to and from what the restriction says. My permit says recreational purposes. I know that is vague, but I have written instructions from the judge stating that I can carry concealed to and from..hiking, golfing,walking, riding a bike, riding an atv or snowmobile, jogging, boating, birdwatching, at work, bowling, hunting, target practice, and many other "recreational activities". You say that if the right LEO stops me, I will be in trouble. I cant be arrested, i cant lose my permit unless I do something stupid or illegal. But I will tell you this, I cant because of my restriction, go to the store at 1am to pick up some milk(unless im walking) and carry concealed. Hope you understand now.

i didnt know work was recreation

i didnt know work was recreation

If you look at my responses to you in post 17 and 20, you will see I have an exception for work which is approved by the judge who issued my permit. If you read and comprehend what the good people on this forum are telling you, you will learn something.

armed-and-not-so-ready sounds like a Trol....hmmm forget my name for second.
(state law - not NYC law)
Law is clear (go read before commenting):
Article 400 - Penal Law - Licensing and Other Provisions Relating to Firearms

All types of permit are to carry concealed. They mention that in the text of the law. THE ONLY exception is antique/collector license - it does not state concealed.

All permits issued under 400.2 f are concealed carry. ALL.

Restrictions are Administrative rules and do not have power of law; BUT state of NY is May issue state, so they can revoke your license for ANY reason (including sky is blue).

Those case were never re-litigated after Mcdonald and Heller.
The Westchester case will provide a lot of guidance of how that will go.

Open carry is not authorized by 260 f ( before thinking of logical exceptions - go look at language there is no exceptions, yes hunting and other activities do not have exception under it - is anyone surprised that NY laws are vague and contradictory???)

So (outside NYC only) you can carry on sportsman, knowing that if issuing authority finds out (police reports it to them) you might loose it.

If someone thinks above is wrong...please provide LAW , cases ..something not just your "logical" thoughts.

Sincerely,
TROL

not a troll

All types of permit are to carry concealed. They mention that in the text of the law. THE ONLY exception is antique/collector license - it does not state concealed.

Restrictions are Administrative rules and do not have power of law; BUT state of NY is May issue state, so they can revoke your license for ANY reason (including sky is blue).

Open carry is not authorized by 260 f ( before thinking of logical exceptions - go look at language there is no exceptions, yes hunting and other activities do not have exception under it - is anyone surprised that NY laws are vague and contradictory???)

So (outside NYC only) you can carry on sportsman, knowing that if issuing authority finds out (police reports it to them) you might loose it.

If someone thinks above is wrong...please provide LAW , cases ..something not just your "logical" thoughts.

Sincerely,
TROL

thank you for the truth,i like the part that say carrying on sports man you might loose it. im not a troll i just like this subject

u dont know me

Sincerely,
TROL

i am armed and ready what about you. do you have a ccw or just another pretender

Sincerely,
TROL

What NYS law prohibits open carry by someone with a concealed carry permit?

What NYS law prohibits open carry by someone with a concealed carry permit?

This is New York!!! Everything is prohibited unless allowed. But legal chain is below.

New York Penal Law 265.01 -265.04 ( Article 265 - Penal Law - Firearms and Other Dangerous Weapons ) defines criminal possession of the firearm.
Section 265.20 holds Exceptions to that rule.
It means 265.01-265.04 prohibits possession of firearms.
section 265.20 shows the only exceptions, one of them 265.20.a.3

" Possession of a pistol or revolver by a person to whom a license
therefor has been issued as provided under section 400.00 or 400.01 of
this chapter ....."

The types of firearm licenses are (under 400) are:
"2. Types of licenses. A license for gunsmith or dealer in firearms
shall be issued to engage in such business. A license for a pistol or
revolver, other than an assault weapon or a disguised gun, shall be
issued to
(a) have and possess in his dwelling by a householder;
(b) have and possess in his place of business by a merchant or storekeeper;
(c) have and carry concealed while so employed by a messenger employed
by a banking institution or express company;
(d) have and carry
concealed by a justice of the supreme court in the first or second
judicial departments, or by a judge of the New York city civil court or
the New York city criminal court;
(e) have and carry concealed while so
employed by a regular employee of an institution of the state, or of any
county, city, town or village, under control of a commissioner of
correction of the city or any warden, superintendent or head keeper of
any state prison, penitentiary, workhouse, county jail or other
institution for the detention of persons convicted or accused of crime
or held as witnesses in criminal cases, provided that application is
made therefor by such commissioner, warden, superintendent or head
keeper;
(f) have and carry concealed, without regard to employment or
place of possession, by any person when proper cause exists for the
issuance thereof; and
(g) have, possess, collect and carry antique
pistols ......"

Please note that only g) does not specify that it is for concealed carry, a) and b) are premises only.

also

Sincerely,
TROL

you canot carry conceal with a sportsman restriction unless you also have a hunting license

you canot carry conceal with a sportsman restriction unless you also have a hunting license

I didnt know that. So my permit says "Recreational". So I guess I need to buy an RV. Hate to be caught outside my restriction without my Winnebago. So does that mean I cant carry concealed unless I am in my Winnebago. Can I carry if im getting fuel for it. Or do I have to lock it up with the ammo separate if I go outside of the vehicle. Please tell me the law on this. I dont want an LEO to arrest me for carying my pistol outside my "recreational Vehicle". One more thing could you find out, in that special lawbook you have, if im drinking in the Winnebago, does the beer and ammo need to be locked together in a secured case or does the pistol and beer have to be together. I'm just so confused now. Please oh mighty NYS handgun law expert, set me straight. :sarcastic:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back