I am thinking about joining the USMC

Cooter

Liberty or Death
I am 23 years old, and since I was a little kid I had always idolized soldiers, expecially the Marines. I always figured I would grow up to be one. The war broke out when I was in high school, and I figured that I didn't want to be a tool for a government that puts thier own greedy agendas before the lives of our people. My plans of becoming a devil dog ended there.
I always had it in the back of my head that I wanted to be a marine, and lately I am reconsidering enlisting. Now, I am feeling that it is like a life long accomplishment that I need to do for myself. That I can't die peacefully knowing that I never achieved that goal, and I can't let corrupt politics stand in my way of doing what I need to do.
Although I don't believe the U.S. should be in this war, I do respect the men and women who serve to be in it. And if I join, I will be lowering myself by serving in a war that I don't believe in.
I am torn on the decision of what to do, but I know I can't wait forever. If I get too old, they won't even take me. What do you guys think I should do?

I can't tell you what to do, but I will say I have the utmost respect for any US soldier. Thank you for even considering it.

You have to make up your own mind. However do what you think is best for you. We will all be proud of you if you do join. All US citizens have the responsibility to defend our great way of life. Preferabily on somebody elses shores and not ours.

I have the greatest respect for the men and women of each branch of service that put their lives on the line every day for all of us. However one word of caution. As we see the buracrats in this country move us ever closer to their goal of a NWO/One World government it becomes more and more likely that our solders will be used in "wars" all over the world to advance their cause.

In the next century, nations as we know it will be obsolete; all states will recognize a single, global authority. National sovereignty wasn't such a great idea after all."
Strobe Talbot, President Clinton's Deputy Secretary of State, as quoted in Time, July 20th, l992.

Usmc

As a former active Marine, Good Luck with your decision.. " SEMPER FI' "

No matter what branch of Service you choose. Or the path you choose in life, May your decisions always carry you in a safe, and honorable direction.......

Marines are the best,but last to get the new tools and gadgets.Rangers and green berets get most of the good stuff first. SEMPER FI

Although I don't believe the U.S. should be in this war, I do respect the men and women who serve to be in it. And if I join, I will be lowering myself by serving in a war that I don't believe in.
I am torn on the decision of what to do, but I know I can't wait forever. If I get too old, they won't even take me. What do you guys think I should do?
Join for the service, not for the war that we're in. Once you're in the military, you can't pick and choose between the conflicts that you want to be in; you just do whatever they tell you. That's part of the job.

War is a very messy and frequently morally ambiguous thing. If it's a black-and-white "we're doing the right thing" situation, chances are that information about the situation is being tightly controlled and you're only getting one side of the story. With every soldier and many third-world civilians now having cell phones and posting footage online, it's a real possibility that we may never "believe in" a war again.

Travel and adventure and loads of fun we'll even teach you how to shoot a gun!

Well you'll hear more of that in boot camp. I have been in almost 22 years I don't regret it. I did what I wanted to do. When I was 17 I knew I wanted to be a Marine I didn't know I would stay in so damn long! It's been fun been all around the world a few times every continent except Antartica. I will let you know you will be spending time over here in Iraq unless they decide to start beefing things up in Afghanistan either way you will be getting combat pay. I highly recomend doing a 4 year hitch then use your GI Benefits to go back to school and get a degree or learn a trade. My 15 year old son has started looking into the USMC. That scares the crap out of me as his dad but like my wife said he is just like me he wants to do it so we should support him. With that in mind if you want to do it I salute you. If it is what you want you should do it when you are young it is damn tough to go through boot camp as a old man of 30.

"Most people spend their whole lives wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." Ronald Reagan

Join for the service, not for the war that we're in. Once you're in the military, you can't pick and choose between the conflicts that you want to be in; you just do whatever they tell you. That's part of the job.

+1...If it's something you've always wanted to do...I say go for it. You only live once. Don't regret your life...LIVE it! :bier:

I went on to a civilian job after 21 years, I was in the Navy but had Many Marine friends ( gave me hell for being a Sailor) I had a great time serving seen many things. The Marines are very professional and you would not go wrong (in any branch) But the choice is up to you. Good luck with everything.

Travel and adventure and loads of fun we'll even teach you how to shoot a gun!

Well you'll hear more of that in boot camp. I have been in almost 22 years I don't regret it. I did what I wanted to do. When I was 17 I knew I wanted to be a Marine I didn't know I would stay in so damn long! It's been fun been all around the world a few times every continent except Antartica. I will let you know you will be spending time over here in Iraq unless they decide to start beefing things up in Afghanistan either way you will be getting combat pay. I highly recomend doing a 4 year hitch then use your GI Benefits to go back to school and get a degree or learn a trade. My 15 year old son has started looking into the USMC. That scares the crap out of me as his dad but like my wife said he is just like me he wants to do it so we should support him. With that in mind if you want to do it I salute you. If it is what you want you should do it when you are young it is damn tough to go through boot camp as a old man of 30.

"Most people spend their whole lives wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." Ronald Reagan

Spoken like the true words of a Gunny. Definitely listen to others around you and remember - you have 4 years active and 4 IRR (Inactive Reservist Recall) if you decide to join. I focused only on the boot camp portion and not on the remainder of my contract. Would I go back and do it again? HELL yes! I wouldn't trade it for anything. Even if you only stay stateside (like I lucked out and did) you will meet some awesome people and have a blast. Good luck on making your decision. It is a big one, but a well worth while one. (Don't forget to ask about signing bonuses too :sly:)

Although I didn't enjoy it a lot of the time, I do feel good knowing I did my stint in the Army National Guard.

Each branch of service has something different to offer. Check 'um all out before you make your final decision. After several years in the Army, I moved over to the Air Force. Some branches offer enlistment bonuses, while others offer specialized training programs. Do your homework and don't be afraid to check out all the branches before making your final decision. Remember that the most glamorous job might not be the best choice if you want to have a career after the military.

gf

I would suggest going to talk to a US Marine Recruiter, get as much information as you can, and if it sounds right for you go for it.

I enlisted in 1967 as a young punk kid, right out of high school. Learned to be a man real fast. I do not regret it. You have to make that choice for yourself. Live your dreams before your to old to.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back