What are yalls thoughts on them wanting to make the CCL minimum age 18 instead of 21?

Austin

My only thought on it is that I thought you had to be 21 to buy a handgun. If you have to be 21 to have a handgun and your CCL doesn't cover anything but handguns then it is a worthless bill.

Is this a step toward having police / correctional officers being hired in at 18? Scary thought huh.

-Austin

I think 18 year olds in general are not mature enough. That is not to say that some would be though...if the FEDs say you need to be at least 21, then how can a state lower that age group? Many would probably interpret that CCW permit means gun ownership, even at age 18.

My only thought on it is that I thought you had to be 21 to buy a handgun. If you have to be 21 to have a handgun and your CCL doesn't cover anything but handguns then it is a worthless bill.

Is this a step toward having police / correctional officers being hired in at 18? Scary thought huh.

-Austin

They serve in battle, but not at the homefront? I doth sense a double standard...Granted, most 18 y.o.'s are young, dumb, and full of ........bad ideas, but some are more responsible than many 40 y.o.'s. Proper training is key, as with anything.....

An 18 yr old can legally POSSESS and OWN a handgun, he just can't buy one from a licensed dealer.

I say, keep it 21 for CCW. The military does the thinking for the soldier and seldom is he allowed to carry a firearm without supervision and then, it is seldom loaded.

The exception, of course, is during war, but alarmingly, it is the tendency to still do the above, even in a war zone.

18 year olds died in viet nam and iraq. some have the ability to think. On a one to one basis.

I'd say if they're 18, SERVED or SERVING in the military, and can prove that they're able to safely handle firearms, then why not. Don't like the idea of folks who dodge military service trying to use the "they're old enough to die" card to their advantage. If you CHOOSE not to serve, then you should wait until 21. If you're serving or served in the military, I feel that you've EARNED the right to own a handgun and qualify for a CCW.

gf

I like where this is going.

I think that the CCW age should be 25 IMHO.

Wasnt there a study recently that stated that a males brain isnt fully developed in the area of "long term effects of my actions right now" (in other words), until around the age of 25?

If us males were as rational at 18 as we are at 25 then why the higher auto insurance rates?

But, I agree that is a little contradictory that our youngsters can go (or be sent unwillingly) to war but they cant have a beer when they get back.

On another note: does active military have to get a CCW? Or can they carry legally with a federal pass of some type?

I think 18 year olds in general are not mature enough. That is not to say that some would be though...if the FEDs say you need to be at least 21, then how can a state lower that age group? Many would probably interpret that CCW permit means gun ownership, even at age 18.

I thought that the states' laws could be more restrictive but not less. Interesting!!

18 year old soldiers may bleed and die for you as they can be and are committed to combat. However they and their buddies under 21 may not consume alcohol and those 17 years of age cannot be assigned to a combat area until they are 18.

Seems like 21 is the magic number for being a major (adult). But of course you can only be a ATP (airline transport pilot) after reaching the old age of 25 years.

What is wrong with 21? Why are we having this discussion? I would be hard pressed to find anyone I know 21 or older that would waste time and effort on trying to get the age lowered. Does anyone here think a congressman is going to take up this banner? If so you must be less than 21 and way short of a full deck proving 21 was probably the right age if not a tad too early.

In most cases they shouldn't even have a DL much less a CCW. As said the exception would be if they are enlisted AFTER basic training.

I like where this is going.

I think that the CCW age should be 25 IMHO.

Wasnt there a study recently that stated that a males brain isnt fully developed in the area of "long term effects of my actions right now" (in other words), until around the age of 25?

If us males were as rational at 18 as we are at 25 then why the higher auto insurance rates?

But, I agree that is a little contradictory that our youngsters can go (or be sent unwillingly) to war but they cant have a beer when they get back.

On another note: does active military have to get a CCW? Or can they carry legally with a federal pass of some type?

I am with you on this as I am not sure how the 21 thing came about other than possibly a compromise. I say either lower it to 18 or raise it to 25. From experince of my life and watching the lives of countless others there is a great change in the thought process of the average person who ages from 18 to25. Part of it is called experience from being on your own. I agree totally with the study that says that the part of the brain of a human that makes intelligent decisions does not develop until age 25 in the average human. There are lots of exceptions I know but a lot sure seem to fit the mold. As for the military seldom does anyone under 25 make Colonel or Master Sergeant. :biggrin:

see i'm mixed on all of this. i am 24, and when i was 18 i handled responsibility better then alot of people did my age. I had a full time job, was never late, paid my bills on time, never got in trouble, had a knowledge of right and wrong, stayed out of trouble, and all around responsible. is that what makes someone a adult? i dont know what each persons idea of adult hood it. But i do know that there were people that i knew at that age that werent responsible enough (at the time) to manage there finances, were doing stupid stuff, or just thought they were better then everyone else. Those people i never trusted. There were some that were responsible that i would have trusted to carry (at that age). How ever those people were far and few in between.

i dont want to take anyones liberties away from them (except criminals and the inept) but i think the system is good where its at.

I think 21 is about right..
Yes there are those who are mature enough at 18 but not most, and at 25 most have matured and the rest probably never will..
I say make it 21 with an exemption for Military Personnel, Military are earning their right to receive their Carry Permit at 18 and it is valid so long as they stay in the services. They spend most of their time on base anyway.. Not sure what the carry rules on base (I don't think it's allowed unless on duty and it's within your rate). So how does that work?? Does a service person carry in the world, then stop at a gas station just prior to the base and dis-arm and visa-versa??

Anywayz.. That's my thoughts and conditions and reasons

see i'm mixed on all of this. i am 24, and when i was 18 i handled responsibility better then alot of people did my age. I had a full time job, was never late, paid my bills on time, never got in trouble, had a knowledge of right and wrong, stayed out of trouble, and all around responsible. is that what makes someone a adult? i dont know what each persons idea of adult hood it. But i do know that there were people that i knew at that age that werent responsible enough (at the time) to manage there finances, were doing stupid stuff, or just thought they were better then everyone else. Those people i never trusted. There were some that were responsible that i would have trusted to carry (at that age). How ever those people were far and few in between.

i dont want to take anyones liberties away from them (except criminals and the inept) but i think the system is good where its at.

For someone at your age to even realize the "supidity for lack of a better term" of what many do at that age is great and I am not talking about guns but life in general. Having three grown chldren and a large extended family with many friends I have seen all of this too much. I am fine with leaving it at 21 where it is but don't come at me with at 18 one is fine owning and carrying guns. To me it is as good as 21 but there is something about around 25 there seems to be a difference for most people. Now there are many like you that at 18 are more "mature" than many will be at 30-40-50 or older. One other thing is to never get the terms training and experience confused.

I joined the Navy on my 17th birthday.(Third gen. Navy.) If a person can join the military, affix a legal signature to a contract, get married, then he should be able to buy and carry a gun. I understand that maturity and age have very little to do with each other, but you have to draw the line somewhere, and the hallmarks of adulthood are drawn around age 18, except for drinking alcohol, and buying/carrying guns. The age limit should be the same for everything.

It should be left at 21 IMHO. IMHO 18 most are not mature enough but yet I've known several 18 yr olds I wouldn't have a problem with but by far the majority are just to immature. I guess we can go look at Alaska and New Hampshire were the minimum age for CCW is 16 and check there stats to see if they have had any problems.

If a person is old enough to be in the armed forces that person is old enough to carry a gun. At 18 you can get married, own a car, buy a house, sign a contact, go to war and get killed, and do remember the Constution of the United States gives 18 year olds the right to VOTE meaning 18 year olds are according to the law ADULTS! Granted there are many 18 year olds who are irresponsible but I can also think of several 40 year olds who are worse. I bought my first handgun FROM A PRIVATE PARTY when I was 19. I was 18 when I bought a shotgun through an FFL. I and most of the people I remember were responsible and giving them a CCW in my opinion should have been allowed. If any person commits a crime or acts irresponsibly that person needs to face the music and age has nothing to do with it. Lastly imagine a 20 year old home from a tour in a combat zone protecting ALL OF US and once home he is not allowed to get a carry permit to defend himself?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back