Anyone carry a .22?

Danno

I was wondering if anyone carried a .22 of any type. My father in law carries a .22 8 shot snubby sometimes just because it is a lot smaller than his normal carry piece (Ruger SP101 4"). I have a Harrison & Richardson .22 magnum that I'm thinking about keeping in my car.

Interested to hear from ya'll...

I guess a .22 beats no gun at all, but only barely. I personally wouldn't carry anything smaller than a 9mm and I prefer .40 S&W, .357sig or .45acp. I know that some people choose to carry a .32 or .380. I think these are insufficient as a primary carry weapon, but they are both considerably better choices than a .22. They should also be as small or smaller.

I prefer something larger. If I had a choice of a 22 or nothing, I would not think twice. I would grab that 22. While it is certainly proven a 22 can provide a deadly shot, it is going to take a very well placed shot. Most people in a state of excitement aren't capable of making a shot that well placed.
There is another issue also. Rimfire rounds tend to misfire a lot more than a centerfire round. I don't want to pull the trigger and have nothing happen. I have had many rimfires fail to fire. I have never (that I recall) had a centerfire fail to fire. There are certainly better quality rimfires, but I would still be somewhat uneasy about it.

Again, if it was that or nothing, there would be no second thoughts.

Danno, if a 22 LR or 22 Magnum interest you, go to naaminis.com
I initially wanted a 22 Magnum but after viewing their site, ended up falling for the NAA 380.
1_11_21_07.jpg

NemesisandGerber.jpg

The 380 is very "pocketable".

That's nice, but $$$ for such a small gun... I doubt that I will carry anything smaller than a .380, but like I said, just for a BUG, or trunk gun, maybe a .22mag - plus it's a good plinker... :)

You never know when you might come across one of those killer squirrel groups...seriously, I've heard of plenty of self defense and murders being done with the old .22lr. It's meant to be a "point of contact" weapon. When the BG's breath is smelled. At 3 feet shot placement should be pretty exact. And like others have said, better then no gun.

I have two .22lr pocket pistols. One is a Beretta 21A, the other a Taurus PT22. I shoot both pistols quite a bit, but never carry either. My P3AT not only fires a more dependable centerfire round, the .380 is generally considered an acceptable minimum caliber while the .22 is not.

The real kick is that the .22s are each larger and weigh more than the .380; why would you carry a larger, heavier pistol with a less dependable, less powerful round?:eek:

Yes i do about twice a year when i go camping, becuse we have this funny law in NC ,
about firearms on gamelands, which the campground i happen to love is on a game land
Weapons
 It is unlawful to discharge any weapon:
?? - from a vehicle,
- within 150 yards of any residence located on or adjacent to
game lands,
- within 150 yards of any game lands building or game lands
camping area (unless otherwise posted).
The 150-yard provision of this rule does not apply to the use of
archery equipment on Butner-Falls of Neuse and Jordan game lands.
 It is unlawful to possess a rifle or pistol larger than .22 rimfire or
a shotgun shell with larger than no. 4 shot during closed gun
seasons on big game?except any size steel or other nontoxic
shot may be used while waterfowl or coyote hunting.
 During turkey season, it is unlawful to possess a rifle on game
lands, but bow-and-arrow may be used.
 During closed seasons and closed hunting days on game birds
(waterfowl, doves, wood cock, snipe, rails, gallinules, moorhens,
coots, grouse, pheasant, quail, turkey) and game animals (deer, bear,
fox, rabbits, squirrels, boar, bobcats, opossum, raccoon), it is
unlawful to possess any firearm or bow and arrow readily avail -
able for use. During that time in which fox season is the only open
season for a game animal, it is also unlawful to possess these
weapons. The following exceptions, however, should be noted:
- Possession is allowed on field-trial and designated target shoot -
ing areas and in camping areas for defense of person or property.
- 22-caliber pistols with barrels, not greater than 7.5 inches in
length and shooting only short, long or long rifle ammunition,
may be carried as side arms on game lands at any time, except
by hunters during the special bow-and-arrow and muzzle -
loading firearms deer hunting season.
- Individuals training dogs during closed season without fieldtrial
authorization are prohibited from carrying any weapon.

I Hate it but it's the law.

I carry a .32 all the time...and most people would say that is too small to be a dependable carry weapon. Wouldn't carry a .22 though.

.22?

I sometimes carry a NAA Black Widow .22mag - mainly for deep concealment in hot weather and "shirt sleeve" meetings, where "He's got a gun" would not be a good thing to hear. It is definitly not a toy, nor a cartridge to be sneezed at. As stated by others, placement is all important with such a small bullet, but I find my particular revolver to be easy to control, and very accurate at defense distances of 10 yards or so. As posted many times in the past - better a .22 (mag.) in hand, than a .45 in the safe. :)
sailor

Addendum

Forgot to add in previous post that I have fired untold thousands of .22 & .22 mag. rimfire (and a bunch of .22 Hornet), and don't recall ever having a miss fire. I would trust my (numerous) rimfire revolvers and rifles to "go bang" every time.
sailor

A .22 is better than my bare hands!

I have a Baby Browning .25 that can be concealed in my shirt pocket. If I have to use it I will wait until my target is within "spitting" distance. The very first rule of gun fighting states, Have a Gun!

I agree with everyone here Danno, and have another thought or two to add...

If I could I would carry my Wilson .45 all the time. I love that thing!

On the other hand I am a small person. I can not conceal a 5" 1911 when wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

Usually I carry whatever my attire allows. At the very least I have my NAA .22 with holster grip in my pocket. Even with tight jeans it "prints" like a pocket knife.

Last thing I need is for someone to say, "He's gotta' gun!" in this little town.

.22's are small. Small stopping power. Small noise. But better than nothing!

If a .22 is the largest caliber you can control, then it's the perfect choice for you.

If a .22 is the only gun you have, then it's the gun for you.

But, if you can control something larger and own other guns, yet choose to carry a .22 instead, you simply don't "get it"

Last edited:
I don't, but I wouldn't be opposed to it. If one can make precise brain shots with a .22 or .25 and isn't very accurate with a larger caliber, then go for it. The only shots that count are the ones that hit.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back