Hearing protection when things go bump in the night

No one has said it yet but that question is a joke, right? Seriuosly?

Kinda like new guys being rude? Seriously?

It was an honest question he made and there is nothing wrong with it. They say the only stupid question is the one not asked, so he asked and got many good responses. Being rude only causes fights on these forums and makes a good community turn bad. If your only here to be an ass please find another forum. Most of us actualy like to be helpful.

I would not wear any hearing protection as I would like to hear everything going on.

You could leave a pair of electronic ear protection by your bed,

The electronic hear protection are awesome, you can hear normal conversations, bumps, it only muffles sounds (like gunshots) over 85 dec.

Link Removed

There are cheaper pairs on Ebay and other sites. It's nice to be able to have a conversation with others at the range but not hear the gunshots.

Kinda like new guys being rude? Seriously?

It was an honest question he made and there is nothing wrong with it. They say the only stupid question is the one not asked, so he asked and got many good responses. Being rude only causes fights on these forums and makes a good community turn bad. If your only here to be an ass please find another forum. Most of us actualy like to be helpful.

No, mr slayer I was not being rude. I simply found it silly that someone would be worried about a little ringing in the ears when they or their families life maybe in danger. Does an LEO say hey wait a minute while I put on my safety glasses and hearing protection? I think not. Do you think the perp put his on before entering your house? Well? And I find your reply to be pompous beyond belief, but this is your forum. I find this forum, from this thread to be useless in the real world. Too bad I won't see your reply as I will find another forum that might help me learn something useful. ASS. I guess that I can use that as you have. HAVE A NICE DAY. And the CIB, don’t you get that out of AIT. And try spellcheck.

No, mr slayer I was not being rude. I simply found it silly that someone would be worried about a little ringing in the ears when they or their families life maybe in danger. Does an LEO say hey wait a minute while I put on my safety glasses and hearing protection? I think not. Do you think the perp put his on before entering your house? Well? And I find your reply to be pompous beyond belief, but this is your forum. I find this forum, from this thread to be useless in the real world. Too bad I won't see your reply as I will find another forum that might help me learn something useful. ASS. I guess that I can use that as you have. HAVE A NICE DAY. And the CIB, don’t you get that out of AIT. And try spellcheck.

It's not my forum, it’s owned by someone else. I just respect everyone who asks a question enough to answer it to the best of my ability without being rude.

I am betting that the OP (likely just like you) has never been involved in a shooting of any kind, so the OP, like many other people on here like to ask questions about situations before they happen so they are better prepared to deal with the situation instead of learning on the fly when things ARE happening.
Unlike the OP however, there is ALWAYS someone who thinks they are God’s gift to a firefight and know everything about it. I am guessing that’s where you come in.
If you actually read ALL of the posts that people have posted in reply to the OP’s question, there were some people who actually have hearing problems and the hearing protection with enhancement would be a good idea for them to stage a set of the electronic ear pro/enhancers next to their gun.

As far as my CIB goes, if you or anyone else would like to see my awards and NCOERs (evaluation reports) please feel free to stop on by any time as long as you think you'd be able to read them.

My responding to you is done unless you have some helpful information to share.

rbzzo "the CIB, don’t you get that out of AIT."

CIB stands for Combat Infantrymans Badge and is awarded to individuals who have put their life on the line to protect their country and jackasses like you. It is awarded to infantrymen (11B) who have been in combat. That means they have been under fire from unfriendly forces who have tried to kill them. I am a Vietnam Vet and I still wear mine proudly.

Thank you Buckslayer for your service.

BB

You make excellent points Buckslayer. I asked because, until recently, my primary HD weapon was a Glock 23 and I didn't think twice about my ears. I have changed over to a Mossberg 930 SPX. I had reason to fire a warning shot from a shotgun in the great outdoors years ago. My ears rang for an hour afterwards. The thought of firing the SPX in a confined space, like a hallway, is what prompted my question.

you will DEFINITELY blow out both of your ear drums if you fire a shotgun inside your hope without ear protection.

you will DEFINITELY blow out both of your ear drums if you fire a shotgun inside your hope without ear protection.

I disagree purely because I've fired close to about 300 rounds when breaching doors in Iraq. As long as your not in a sustained firefight inside your house with a shotgun, one or two shots inside your house won't blow your ear drums out. If that were the case I wouldn't be able to hear a thing.

rbzzo "the CIB, don’t you get that out of AIT."

CIB stands for Combat Infantrymans Badge and is awarded to individuals who have put their life on the line to protect their country and jackasses like you. It is awarded to infantrymen (11B) who have been in combat. That means they have been under fire from unfriendly forces who have tried to kill them. I am a Vietnam Vet and I still wear mine proudly.

Thank you Buckslayer for your service.

BB

Thank you too BB for your service! Vietnam Vets are the very people I tell some of my former soldiers/friends who are having issues with combat and/or reintegration to talk to. The stuff you guys went through was a hell of a lot worse than what we went through and the information and help you all are able to pass on about reintegration and dealing with combat isn't something that some psychologist type can give them!

I disagree purely because I've fired close to about 300 rounds when breaching doors in Iraq. As long as your not in a sustained firefight inside your house with a shotgun, one or two shots inside your house won't blow your ear drums out. If that were the case I wouldn't be able to hear a thing.

Well I certainly won't argue with you and your experience.
Thank you for your insight. Much appreciated.

I should have added that your ears WILL ring for a while though!

In all honesty if they would have made some very small electronic ear pro (small enough to wear while wearing our helmets) then I would have likely used them. BUT they would have to not block my normal hearing prior to any shooting.

Like I said before though, if this is in my house where I know what squeaks and what doesn't, I want to be able to hear everything! I'd like to be able to finish this thing in one or two shots so I don't have to have a sustained firefight in my house and end up with more problems than just my hearing.

Wow Buckslayer.

Are you saying that none of our boys over in Iraq and Afghanistan are wearing anything in their ears?
I didn't know that!
I think I just assumed they had some type of protection....like foam plugs or something....

Wow Buckslayer.

Are you saying that none of our boys over in Iraq and Afghanistan are wearing anything in their ears?
I didn't know that!
I think I just assumed they had some type of protection....like foam plugs or something....

We have them and carry them, but the majority of our foot patrols are quiet for the most part. While I've been in my share of firefights, they are not an everyday thing. Most of the time when we'd get into something, the people around you (civilians) gave us a big clue by their normal chatter. We decided not to wear them on foot patrols and raids so we can hear them talk more clearly, and get an idea about their general mood. If they sound spooked, they are! and it’s for a reason. Normally they are scared poopless about attacks and IEDs and fear them being in their neighborhoods. Naturally when something going to happen, they know about it, and act different. We just want to be able to hear even the smallest of trembling in their voices. It keeps us alive.

Vehicle patrols now are a different story. We all (MOST) wear ear protection as the vehicles alone are loud, let alone the BOOM from an IED.

With the invention and popularization of hearing enhancement and protection devices I see no reason why this isn't a viable option.

My only concern would be not having the time to get the muffs on. As for those who say its not a big deal I have a friend who fired two shots indoors (lawfully) and has permanent hearing damage. The shots were from a Glock 19 9mm pistol. He can still hear but complaints of a constant ringing that never dulls or goes away.

Factjailsit

With the invention and popularization of hearing enhancement and protection devices I see no reason why this isn't a viable option.

My only concern would be not having the time to get the muffs on. As for those who say its not a big deal I have a friend who fired two shots indoors (lawfully) and has permanent hearing damage. The shots were from a Glock 19 9mm pistol. He can still hear but complaints of a constant ringing that never dulls or goes away.

One, the military will not pay for anything more than the cheap foam earplugs that you have to roll and squish to get into your ears. It's unrealistic to think soldiers can pay for the hi-tech mini electronics as the lower ranks still dont get paid very much.

Larger hearing muffs would never work for us as we need to be able to get a radio mic to our ear to call for air support or whatever else we need.

I'm not saying your ears won't hurt after the indoor shots, but i'll gladly take ringing in my ears over a dead family. Unless you have the muffs you just don't have the time to squish the other ones in your ears.

The size of the room, and the type of walls makes a difference when shooting inside.
This is another topic where people can argue both ways for days and days and never really get anywhere. Shooting inside was not the worst thing I've experienced in my life, and sure it does suck to have to do it, but I won't be rushing to get my plugs in when my door get kicked open anytime soon.

One, the military will not pay for anything more than the cheap foam earplugs that you have to roll and squish to get into your ears. It's unrealistic to think soldiers can pay for the hi-tech mini electronics as the lower ranks still dont get paid very much.

Larger hearing muffs would never work for us as we need to be able to get a radio mic to our ear to call for air support or whatever else we need.

I'm not saying your ears won't hurt after the indoor shots, but i'll gladly take ringing in my ears over a dead family. Unless you have the muffs you just don't have the time to squish the other ones in your ears.

The size of the room, and the type of walls makes a difference when shooting inside.
This is another topic where people can argue both ways for days and days and never really get anywhere. Shooting inside was not the worst thing I've experienced in my life, and sure it does suck to have to do it, but I won't be rushing to get my plugs in when my door get kicked open anytime soon.

You cannot realistically tell me that even a PVT cannot afford $40 for electronic protection, for $40 you can get electronic with COMM capabilities. Again, I see the disadvantage but if at all possible economically, and in practice (when SHTF) i'd say go for it. Of course if you cannot reasonably place hearing protection on....being deaf is better than being dead.

Honestly, I wont use it. Im not so much worried about all the other noises as I am SEEING the person. Ive already got a permanent ringing in my ears, what am I going to hurt more? Ive heard weapons fire without ear pro, no different in a life or death situation. Last thing on my mind is the ear pro. Its grab and go.

Whoa! This is an old thread, but it's still worth a current answer. Know what? On several different occasions I've been inside of an enclosed space with guns going off all around me, AND no ear protection on my head—None!

On every occasion I came out of one of these events with my hearing perfectly intact and without any ringing in my ears. Why? Well, I can only guess; but I suspect the body and brain have some sort of exclusionary auditory mechanism that can actually shut down the ears' ability to hear.

Neither am I the only person I've ever known to say this. I've heard comments like mine from other gunmen, too.

Documented? Heck, I've actually lived through several of these very loud events without suffering any adverse hearing effects. Auditory exclusion doesn't happen all of the time; but, still, it does happen!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back