Commonsense in Concealed Carry, and Gunfights

Kaymen

Written by Jonathan "Kaymen" Adkins, Sr.

As with everything in life the application of commonsense can make things easier and can protect us from harm and/or embarrassment. When you include a firearm the need for commonsense and to think is paramount. It is the duty of every conscientious gun owner to act in a safe and responsible manner. With the evil specter of gun control always ready to rear its head compounded by the issues with concealed carry any mistake or error in judgment by anyone carrying a concealed weapon will be used to fuel the fire.

The most dangerous weapon anyone has is not a firearm, a knife, or a club; it is the mind. Like any weapon it needs to be used properly and maintained properly. The way this is done is from training and practice. Once the necessary skills are learned they need to be maintained and hone, they say practice makes perfect, in a gunfight perfection is survival. Going to the range to fire a few rounds once in awhile is not training, you train as you live, you train with what you carry and you carry what you have been trained to carry.

The first thing to remember is concealed means concealed. If you are carrying a concealed weapon that means you should be the only one who knows you are carrying it. In some jurisdictions failure to properly conceal your firearm is a crime and can result in some stiff penalties. Flashing or displaying your weapon in any way defeats the entire purpose of concealed carry. The reason for carrying a weapon is self-defense, by carrying a weapon you are accepting the responsibility for you own safety and the safety of your love ones.

As a private citizen we are not police officers and it is not our duty to chase criminals, stop crimes or save the world. Survival is the only goal. When you fail to conceal your weapon it limits your options and can make you a target. If you are spotted by one of the local gun hating democrat soccer moms then you are a target for her scorn and possibly the local police if she calls to report a man with a gun. On the other hand, if a criminal hell-bent on committing a crime spots your weapon you are now an obstacle that can complicate his plans thus a target. If you are properly carrying a concealed weapon and the situation justifies it you have the ability to act to protect a life, however if the situation does not justify you taking action you can remain concealed and become the best witness possible.

If you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time and you are forced into action, the most important thing in a gunfight is to have a gun. You do not really need a gun until you really need a gun. You cannot defend yourself with the weapon that you left on the nightstand at home or in the glove box of the car. Once you have made the decision to act you act with extreme prejudice, it is always preferable to be involved in a shooting than to be involved in a gunfight.

Once the fight starts you are in it till the end, there are no time outs, there are no referees, and there are no rules. You can make plans and think you will react a certain way, but once the rounds start to fly everything goes out the window. The best laid plans only last till first contact with the enemy.

Remember your only goal is survival, if you are not shooting you should be reloading, running, or both. Distance is your friend, if you have a good shooting stance you are probably not moving fast enough or using cover correctly. The faster you finish the fight the less you get shot! Statistics show you will finish the fight with what is in the gun. This does not mean you do not need to carry extra ammunition; statistics have never saved a life. This is the same principle of needing a gun; you do not need extra ammo until you really need that extra magazine. Most failures to load in automatic pistols are magazine problems, if you can change the magazine it can get you back into the fight. But always remember that wolves hunt in packs; once the main threat has been eliminated keep an eye out for his friends.

We have all heard that discretion is the greater part of valor, the only way to guarantee you win a fight is to avoid the fight. While armed every confrontation you experience will involve a gun, yours. If you can evade, avoid, or deescalate any situation the life you are saving may be your own. Remember survival is your only goal!

Last edited:
great advice, well written

many CCWers need to read this and understand that, having a CCW doesn't make them a police officer, or the neighborhood guard
too many CCWers want to be some type of Rambo or Schwartzenagger cop.

I don't think I have heard a better post.

The only word I didn't see unless I missed it was "situational awareness". Basically to be used 24/7.
More important than a weapon!
If used correctly it is better than a weapon. That said I go nowhere without my Kimber.
I read about and use the situational awareness and practice it as much as I practice my Kimber. Maybe more because I believe in my heart it is more important. I work hard not to put Me and mine in a shooting situation!!!

But that's just me
Mike

Found at

seipsg.net

It was indeed a good article, however only the last sentence or two really discussed the most important point and even then it was not mentioned the way it should have been mentioned. Situational awareness is numero uno and an absolute precursor to anything about concealed carry. It is sort of mentioned in the article but not to the extent that it should. The article stresses the intricacies of actual CC and for that it is excellent. Never having to exercise any of the skills is a better method of protection than all the practice in the world. I am 69--I do not go where I can use common sense that tells me not to go there, I use common sense and do not decide to go shopping for chips or go to an ATM at 1 o'clock in the morning, I use common sense and do everything I can to park (especially at night) in a lighted trafficked area--etc etc. Never in those 69 years have the need for firearm use ever arose. Maybe I am lucky and maybe I am fortunate to live in nice areas etc, but I truly believe most of it has to do with knowing where I am and where I am going before I find myself in a bad situation. Hey ranger: Just saw your reply above mine and I guess we agree on things.

I agree with the situational awareness remarks, but other than that it was well said.

My wife was reading something by a former undercover FBI guy that is now a congressman from Staten island. He was suggesting things legislators can do to protect themselves and their staffs that would cost little or nothing and make quite an improvement. She busted out laughing and said "we already do this" when she read his recommendations about situational awareness, sitting to see the entrance, knowing where exits are, and so forth.

Fitch

I agree with the situational awareness remarks, but other than that it was well said.

My wife was reading something by a former undercover FBI guy that is now a congressman from Staten island. He was suggesting things legislators can do to protect themselves and their staffs that would cost little or nothing and make quite an improvement. She busted out laughing and said "we already do this" when she read his recommendations about situational awareness, sitting to see the entrance, knowing where exits are, and so forth.

Fitch

Very nice piece slanted towards convincing someone that concealed carry is the best method of carrying a personal firearm 100% of the time in 100% of circumstances and places, a view which I happen to disagree with.

Very nice piece slanted towards convincing someone that concealed carry is the best method of carrying a personal firearm 100% of the time in 100% of circumstances and places, a view which I happen to disagree with.
No kidding. Especially this part here;

...When you fail to conceal your weapon it limits your options and can make you a target. If you are spotted by one of the local gun hating democrat soccer moms then you are a target for her scorn and possibly the local police if she calls to report a man with a gun. On the other hand, if a criminal hell-bent on committing a crime spots your weapon you are now an obstacle that can complicate his plans thus a target...
Not only does this take an unsubstantiated and unsupported swipe at all open carriers, it also assumes that all Democrats are anti-gun as well. But I digress. I do however have a mostly rhetorical question.

Why does it seem that generally speaking, concealed carriers are absolutely certain that their way is the only way to carry? It's a mindset that I've never experienced with open carriers.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back