Hearing protection when things go bump in the night

HardCorps53

I've seen numerous threads about what's on the nightstand for things that go bump in the night. We've discussed firearms, ammo preferences, lights, and lasers. There's even been threads about using eyeglasses in the dark.

What I haven't seen mentioned (forgive me if I missed it) is hearing protection. Any of you include that on your nightstand? What do you think are the pro's and con's? I know good hearing protection allows normal conversation but will it allow you to hear that creak on the stairs?

I'm thinking about something like this - quick and easy w/o limiting mobility. Would love to hear your opinions.

Link Removed

While hearing protection is important on the range, I personally will never use them in my home if someone was to enter it. I want to be able to hear my floor make the noises it does when they walk on my floor. I want to be able to hear everything that goes on. I want to be able to hear my kids talking or crying as I know they are safe if I can still hear them while I am hunting (my wife will sit with them also armed while I hunt).
Once I hear them hit my looooooong stairs that will take them upstairs to where my family is located, on comes the surefire attached to my AR, and well, someone better start the funeral arrangements for the burglar/attacker/rapist, etc...

Just my 2 cents

You make excellent points Buckslayer. I asked because, until recently, my primary HD weapon was a Glock 23 and I didn't think twice about my ears. I have changed over to a Mossberg 930 SPX. I had reason to fire a warning shot from a shotgun in the great outdoors years ago. My ears rang for an hour afterwards. The thought of firing the SPX in a confined space, like a hallway, is what prompted my question.

You make excellent points Buckslayer. I asked because, until recently, my primary HD weapon was a Glock 23 and I didn't think twice about my ears. I have changed over to a Mossberg 930 SPX. I had reason to fire a warning shot from a shotgun in the great outdoors years ago. My ears rang for an hour afterwards. The thought of firing the SPX in a confined space, like a hallway, is what prompted my question.

If someone breaks into your house and you have to discharge your weapon, ''your ears ringing'' will be the least of your concerns.

Odds are you will never be in this situation, but if you are screw the headphones!! That's like asking if you should keep a plastic sheet next to your bed, so that after you shoot the intruder you can throw it down on the floor to keep the intruders blood from staining your rug!

i agree with the no hearing protection. i want to hear whats going on around me and where the bad guy/gal could be in refrence to my location. if my ears ring then cool atleast im not dead. the bad guy on the other hand.... well i feel for his family that he chose that life style and now they have to put him to rest.

i hope it will NEVER come to that.

What if there's more than one intruder? Firing on the first could ruin your hearing and concentration for the other threat.

None for me.......That split second it takes you to put them on could mean the difference between life or death. I choose Life with the possibility of the ringing ear syndrome.

What if there's more than one intruder? Firing on the first could ruin your hearing and concentration for the other threat.

I've done a LOT of indoor shooting while in Iraq on raids and other tasks, and other than while riding in a vehicle where we're exposed to IED blasts, I've never used ear plugs. While you would think you'd lose the ability to hear anything inside after the first shots are fired, your other senses kick in and you WILL be hyper aware of your surroundings, and the noise will not be an issue. Sure your ears may and likely will ring for a while after the shooting stops, but that’s a worthwhile price to pay to keep my family alive through a shooting event.

I've done a LOT of indoor shooting while in Iraq on raids and other tasks, and other than while riding in a vehicle where we're exposed to IED blasts, I've never used ear plugs. While you would think you'd lose the ability to hear anything inside after the first shots are fired, your other senses kick in and you WILL be hyper aware of your surroundings, and the noise will not be an issue. Sure your ears may and likely will ring for a while after the shooting stops, but that’s a worthwhile price to pay to keep my family alive through a shooting event.

amen brother, and thank you for your service to our country. thank you very much!

Not no, but h--- NO

If I am responding to a scenario of someone entering my home at night and I have to defend my family, I want all five senses on high alert. I will definately not be diminishing my hearing, sight, smell or touch in any way. I will be using them to there greatest advantage when I start using the weapons I reached for. The sweet taste of success will be even greater when I have successfully eliminated the threat. I will worry about the hearing, sight and smell from the noise, muzzle flashes and burnt powder after I have touched the inert bodies on my floor.

A little overboard, I know. Just my 2 cents worth.

BB

If I am responding to a scenario of someone entering my home at night and I have to defend my family, I want all five senses on high alert. I will definately not be diminishing my hearing, sight, smell or touch in any way. BB

I've considered keeping a set of the electronic hearing protectors by the bed. I'm getting of an age where my regular hearing is not near what it was. I find that the electronic hearing protector is as good or better than most hearing aids in improving my hearing.

Buckslayer, that's exactly what my concern was when I expressed concern about firing in confined spaces. Feedback from someone who's actually been there/done that carries alot of weight. I was not advocating using hearing protection. I was just curious on everyone's thoughts. I really appreciate this response.

Right on Jim

I've considered keeping a set of the electronic hearing protectors by the bed. I'm getting of an age where my regular hearing is not near what it was. I find that the electronic hearing protector is as good or better than most hearing aids in improving my hearing.

Old folks like myself (78) already have hearing deficits and it's a lot faster and easier to grab and use electronic hearing protector/enhancers than fumbling with the little hearing aid items.

Hunters use them to enhance "critter" sounds as well as protecting their ears. Going without a hearing device simply means I must get a visual before knowing what's happening. When my wife wakes me to that "bump in the night", I want to hear it myself, not wait to be "startled" by a "no-warning" visual.

You use what's available while you've got it and adjust accordingly. My hearing loss was contributed to by younger days shooting with no regard for hearing protection. So much for "macho".

In a scenario like that. All your senses are hyper sensitive and the adrenalyn is pumping. Your ear may ring like hell later and your eyes are going to be seing stars due to the flash of the muzzle, but You are not going to care, I have done raids at night sometimes your hearing protection drops and guess what it does not matter. It all becomes a blur and everything gets foggy.If you have multiple intruders they will be as shocked as you so it levels the field, You will be ok witout it. Your main goal is to control and stop the attack.

The faster you take control of the situation and stop the incident the better chance you and your love ones have to get out alive from a scenario like this.

Hope it helps an you never have to go thru something like this.

A can

Best statement ever made on this question came in the form of an advertisement showing a pregnant woman, standing, wearing a dress caressing her tummy with her left hand and at her side in her right hand was a pistol with a silencer.

The caption said it all. See the atatchment. Sewed it up for me.

Pay the ATF stamp and the price of a good can. It can save your ears and your life. No noise flich for a faster 2nd target acquisition.

Having constant ringing in your ears is no fun. I have had it in both ears for 25 years. The right ear ringing is due to my brother shooting off a 12 gauge right beside my head while we were dove hunting. I lost my hearing for several minutes. I knew right then and there that the blast had damaged my hearing. Well, it was ringing that actually came several days later. My ability to hear is still good. The ringing does cancel out sounds in the same frequency range, however, if they are equal or lower in volume.

Having said that, if I needed to protect my wife and myself from an intruder, "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead."

There are several states where silencers (suppressors) are illegal. California is one of the states. As long as it is illegal, I will not own one.

Old folks like myself (78) already have hearing deficits and it's a lot faster and easier to grab and use electronic hearing protector/enhancers than fumbling with the little hearing aid items.

In a situation like this, than I very much agree that a set of hearing enhancers/protection would be an outstanding option!

I would not wear any hearing protection as I would like to hear everything going on. I would be more concerned about muzzle flash and not being to see afterward..

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back