"Dummy rounds"....?

RMcLeod21

Anyone ever practiced/trained using "dummy rounds"? I guess they are plastic...orange...look like the real thing?? I am not familiar with this and would like some input. Thanks.:icon_think:

Anyone ever practiced/trained using "dummy rounds"? I guess they are plastic...orange...look like the real thing?? I am not familiar with this and would like some input. Thanks.:icon_think:

They're good dry fire practice on a DA semi-auto. That's about all they're used for.

What you're referring to are "snap caps". They are plastic items shaped like a bullet with a spring loaded piece of metal that takes the place of a primer. The idea is that it gives the firing pin something to strike. There are some guns that can be damaged by dry firing without using snap caps. Most guns can handle dry firing without them just fine. I use them in all of my handguns and I've fired my Sig P229 over 15,000 times with them.

Dummy rounds are assembled brass and bullet with no primer or powder. These can be very useful for malfunction clearing drills and to detect bad shooting habits. A good way to use them is to randomly load them during training. If you go to the range with a partner, load each others magazines and insert a dummy round occasionally. It's an excellent way to notice things like flinching or mashing the trigger.

There is a product called a "Plastic Training Cartridge" which uses actual cartridge cases and is filled with an inert hard poly shaped like a projectile. We use them every week at the Academy and they last forever. Of all the different types on the market to purchase (we've tried them all) this one works the best, is most realistic, and has an extensive life - unlike most of the others. These Training Cartridges are filled with a highly visible colored poly (usually bright safety orange or yellow) so you won't confuse it with a live cartridge and they are a 1000% times easier to find on the range deck.

9mm_MED.jpg

To purchase them go to www.ofagear.com and choose from the menu on the left "Training Cartridges" and then select which handgun or rifle caliber. They can be used for a variety of firearm related tasks including inducing unscheduled malfunctions and/or practicing combat or tactical reloads.

"Dummy Rounds" are technically real cartridges without a primer or propellant and are not recommended because they can, and will, become easily mixed with live cartridges. Many range related accidents and instructional demos blunders have been caused because the individual using a "dummy" cartridge "thought or assumed" is was inert - and it wasn't.

Last edited:
To purchase them go to www.ofagear.com and choose from the menu on the left "Training Cartridges" and then select which handgun or rifle caliber.

Nice website and good price. However, I was not informed that the item was out of stock until after the purchase. In this case, I don't mind, but you ought to rethink this approach.

training rounds

There is a product called a "Plastic Training Cartridge" which uses actual cartridge cases and is filled with an inert hard poly shaped like a projectile. We use them every week at the Academy and they last forever. Of all the different types on the market to purchase (we've tried them all) this one works the best, is most realistic, and has an extensive life - unlike most of the others. These Training Cartridges are filled with a highly visible colored poly (usually bright safety orange or yellow) so you won't confuse it with a live cartridge and they are a 1000% times easier to find on the range deck.

9mm_MED.jpg

To purchase them go to www.ofagear.com and choose from the menu on the left "Training Cartridges" and then select which handgun or rifle caliber. They can be used for a variety of firearm related tasks including inducing unscheduled malfunctions and/or practicing combat or tactical reloads.

"Dummy Rounds" are technically real cartridges without a primer or propellant and are not recommended because they can, and will, become easily mixed with live cartridges. Many range related accidents and instructional demos blunders have been caused because the individual using a "dummy" cartridge "thought or assumed" is was inert - and it wasn't.

I have been wanting to get some of these. Thanks for posting.

I use the OFE training cartridges in all of my NRA safety classes and while doing my own personal training. I imagine that they will eventually have more calibers available for the numerous other firearms on the market.

It's a great product at a great price.

gf

Good point OFADAN on the possibility of mixing in dummy rounds with real rounds. I should have mentioned that I paint my dummy rounds to avoid just that.

The only thing I've used dummy rounds for was to practice in my bolt action rifles. I wanted to get smoother and faster to get a second or third shot off in case I miss or place the first one poorly.

Nice website and good price. However, I was not informed that the item was out of stock until after the purchase. In this case, I don't mind, but you ought to rethink this approach.

Howard,

Please accept our apology! I was totally unaware of this and contacted our office. The office said your order was shipped today (3.10.08) and we are not out-of-stock. Apparently the web site has an programming error regarding the practice rounds and our IT/Web Designer was informed about this today after I read your post. He will check into it and get it fixed immedately.

Dan

NOTE: UPDATE: I just got a call from the office staff and they have repaired this...it was a programming error and we believe it is completely fixed. If someone places an order and gets a back order notice please email the contact provided to you after placing the order and you will get a prompt reply.

Last edited:
Howard,

Please accept our apology! I was totally unaware of this and contacted our office. The office said your order was shipped today (3.10.08) and we are not out-of-stock. Apparently the web site has an programming error regarding the practice rounds and our IT/Web Designer was informed about this today after I read your post. He will check into it and get it fixed immedately.

Thank you for quickly investigating and repairing the problem. And thanks especially for the personal phone call.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back