SC now has CWP reciprocity with DE

That is good news - When I travel back to my home state of Maine, it get's annoying through the middle states - I stay on I-81 and hold my breath going through the few miles on MD. Proud of Delaware !!!

I got my NH out of state by downloading the app and attaching a copy of my SC permit. The fee went up recently, but it does add GA, AL and several others.

PLEASE BE ADVISED!

Unfortunately, this is incorrect. SC does NOT recognize reciprocity with DE.
DE may recognize a SC CWP as a valid permit to carry in their state; however, there is no reciprocity agreement, and SC does not recognize DE permits.

PLEASE BE ADVISED!

DE may recognize a SC CWP as a valid permit to carry in their state; however, there is no reciprocity agreement, and SC does not recognize DE permits.

According to Handgunlaw.us it is a mutually signed agreement.

and according to the DE AG Page the other state must agree in order for DE to honor theirs...

Pursuant to 11 Del.C. ' 1441(j), as of July 11, 2003, Delaware law allows residents of other states who have been issued a concealed deadly weapon license or permit by certain other states to lawfully carry concealed deadly weapons in Delaware if the state that issued the permit or license also recognizes Delaware's concealed deadly weapons licenses, and if Delaware's Attorney General also determines that the concealed deadly weapons licensing or permit laws in the issuing state "afford a reasonably similar degree of protection as is provided by licensure in Delaware." The Attorney General has determined that only states that require proof of training in firearms safety as a part of their licensing or permit process can meet this requirement.

Sounds like it goes both ways to me.

According to Handgunlaw.us it is a mutually signed agreement.

and according to the DE AG Page the other state must agree in order for DE to honor theirs...

Sounds like it goes both ways to me.

SLED must sign the agreement, and according to the SLED Regulatory Office (the department that oversees all aspects of CWP), there is no such agreement with DE. I wouldn't want to be the test case for this one.

SLED must sign the agreement, and according to the SLED Regulatory Office (the department that oversees all aspects of CWP), there is no such agreement with DE. I wouldn't want to be the test case for this one.

Did you call and speak with SLED?

PLEASE BE ADVISED!

I think you are correct! If you do a Google search you will see this claim on every gun site. I think when I saw this it came in the form of an email from GOA or ILA. After doing some more research I think I found where the mistake was made. If you read DE's site you will see this statement.

Delaware Department of Justice - Attorney Generals Office

However, as of today Delaware does not recognize the concealed deadly weapon licenses or permits issued by states other than those listed below, and these states do not recognize Delaware's concealed deadly weapons licenses as valid.
They reconize SC but SC doesn't reconize DE. Someone saw DE had added SC to their list of acceptable permit holders and assumed there was an agreement made between the two states. Bottom line is you can carry in DE with an SC permit but DE residents with a permit can't carry in SC. It's still a gain for us on one side of the board...

The wording on the DE AG web site is very confusing and I am not sure what he is trying to say. At first is almost appears that he is saying that no one recognizes DE permits so I don't know. He does give the impression that DE will recognize SC but I can't say for sure or the other way around.

I think you are correct! If you do a Google search you will see this claim on every gun site. I think when I saw this it came in the form of an email from GOA or ILA. After doing some more research I think I found where the mistake was made. If you read DE's site you will see this statement.

Delaware Department of Justice - Attorney Generals Office

They reconize SC but SC doesn't reconize DE. Someone saw DE had added SC to their list of acceptable permit holders and assumed there was an agreement made between the two states. Bottom line is you can carry in DE with an SC permit but DE residents with a permit can't carry in SC. It's still a gain for us on one side of the board...

But as I quoted above....DE will only recognize another state IF that other state recognizes theirs.

Their AG is the determining factor for reciprocity. Regardless what their law says their AG has allowed states without an agreement to carry in DE including SC. He even states that the States listed to carry in DE doesn't recognize DE's permits. Delaware Department of Justice - Attorney Generals Office is DE's Reciprocity list and SC is on it. I'd have no problem carrying in DE. I'd just make a copy of their Reciprocity list and carry it with me while there.

However, as of today Delaware does not recognize the concealed deadly weapon licenses or permits issued by states other than those listed below, and these states do not recognize Delaware's concealed deadly weapons licenses as valid.

Did you call and speak with SLED?

Yes, I did call, and have it in writing as well. As CWP instructors, it's our responsibility to be up-to-date on reciprocity so we can provide accurate information to our students. Unfortunately, SLED could make that easier by keeping their online resources current.

I contacted Handgunlaw.us in regards to his pages...I figured he already has contacts in all the right offices...

His response:

About 2 months ago DE AG posted that they had signed an agreement with SC. In the past DE has listed other states as having agreements that they didn't. After contacting them When DE did this I called SLED and ask them if there was an agreement. I was told that they did nave an agreement.

This is what it states on the DE Reciprocity Page at Delaware Department of Justice - Attorney Generals Office
Start....Delawareans who have a Delaware concealed deadly weapons permit will be able to possess a concealed deadly weapon while visiting or traveling through the states listed above, and also in Idaho, Indiana and Vermont. However, Delawareans who possess a concealed deadly weapon in another state will be subject to and are responsible for knowing and obeying all of the laws and regulations in the other state that apply to the carrying and possession of concealed or openly-carried deadly weapons....End

When made aware of this thread I got an email asking me to respond.
Before I did that i decided to call SLED Again. So I called SLED again (This AM) and talked to 2 different people. Both said they DID NOT have an agreement with DE.

It was hard for me to keep from raising my voice. It was not the fault of the two people I talked to today but the person I talked to 2 months ago. I really believe that they don't know and that only one person knows and SLED doesn't give out email addresses and it is difficult to get info out of them. I won't put here how I feel about this issue right now. This is a family board. It is tough enough to stay within the law but when a State AG says they have a signed agreement and then the other says they don't how are we to stay within the law. DE and SC have been the biggest headaches I have had in the 15+ years I have been doing this.

I just sent the changes to Steve for the DE and SC page that says SC WILL NOT HONOR a DE Permit/License. It is tough enough to keep up with changing things and you try to double check and still get incorrect information.

I can not view this thread so if you want to respond to it or contact me email me at [email protected]

Stay safe,
Gary Slider
Handgunlaw.us

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back