So I'm thinking of getting an AR15 - UPDATE: I got one!

Well here is a post I made over at ar15.com getting some advice. I will be going to the range with it again this week to shoot it more.

I fired my Bushmaster Patrolman last night. First I started using Wolf Ammo:
http://cheaperthandirt.com/AMM242-47828-68.html

I seemed to have a few problems.
1. I would put the mag in and chamber a round. Then I fire, it would extract the round but then not chamber another round. Then I do it manually and it would chamber it. And then repeat the same thing.

2. Sometimes it wouldn't extract the casing causing it to look like a double feed when I would look at it.

So I bought a box of American Eagle from the range and it happened a few times but not as much. I took the bolt out, checked everything, added some oil and then it seemed to start shooting fine with the American Eagle but not with the Wolf. I bought another two boxes of AE and it seemed to shoot ok. Just one or two extraction problems.

I still am not sure what the problem is and want to go shoot more before I make any decisions on sending it back, buying new extractor, etc. I wanted to post this and get some advice as I'm pretty new to this rifle.

Well here is a post I made over at ar15.com getting some advice. I will be going to the range with it again this week to shoot it more.

I know what’s happening with your feeding problem. I had the same issue with mine. The mag spring needs to be broken in. Load up the mag and leave it for a few days. That should resolve that issue.

Right after I finish building mine I bought a new 20 round and 30 round mag. The 20 rounder shot fine out of the box but every second round out of the 30 rounder wouldn't feed. I left it loaded up for 3 days tried it again and have not had a single issue since.

Is this rifle chambered for both .223 and 5.56 or just .223? If its just .223 and your firing 5.56 that could cause extraction issues.

be careful with the "Wolf" ammunition. It burns hot, and the steel casings are very hard on the firearm. Many of my AR15 loving friends won't let me anywhere near their AR15 with Wolf ammunition.

gf

I'll try that out. I also have two Magpu Pmags coming in that I'll try. And it is for both .223 and 5.56, but I was shooting .223 anyway.
Thanks.

Wolf

be careful with the "Wolf" ammunition. It burns hot, and the steel casings are very hard on the firearm. Many of my AR15 loving friends won't let me anywhere near their AR15 with Wolf ammunition.

gf

I have heard that about their handgun ammo too. There is a range here in Fort Worth that advises against it's use and will not let anyone shoot it on their range.

I just bought a S&W AR15, well M&P15. The first day I fired it, I put about 80 rounds of Wolf through it, and I had jams and misfeeds all over the place. Plus when I cleaned it, I found a grip of gunk that looked like bacon grease in the chamber. I'm guessing that's from the laquer coating Wolf puts on thier casings.
I know one thing, my AR will never see Wolf ammo anymore. Too bad though, thier prices are great.

Yea, from the sounds of it I won't be using Wolf anymore. Too bad I have about 60 rounds of it left. I hope to go shoot again sometime this weekend, possibly tonight while a friend takes his CCW class.

Cooter
I've been shooting Magtech 55 gr through my M&P 15. No malfunctions and very clean ammo. I've heard enough bad stuff about Wolf that I will avoid that stuff

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back