flying with your firearm

The way it SHOULD be!

Link Removed

The NY penal code states you must notify them of a change of address. Failure to do so can mean immediate revocation. If you get stopped for some reason while in NY and for some reason you must show your permit, and you are NOT a NY resident, then your permit is NOT valid.

do you need a separate lock box for ammo when flying? or can it be in same case? or can that be in regular checked bag

Ammo Questions

do you need a separate lock box for ammo when flying

No

can it be in same case

Yes

can that be in regular checked bag

Yes

do you need a separate lock box for ammo when flying? or can it be in same case? or can that be in regular checked bag

You should check with the ariline you're flying with. Some airlines charge a special fee if you're checking in firearms. Certain airlines will allow you to place your ammo with your firearms (I strongly advise against it). Other airlines (like United and Delta) require you to have your ammunition in a different piece of luggage. FAA doesn't require you to have your ammo in a different piece of luggage, it's up to the airlines, they do however require that the ammunition be transported in the original factory container or better (like plastic reload boxes). The ammunition has to be secured so it won't end up rolling around in your luggage during handling. You can transport loaded magazines, but the magazines must be in a pouch that encloses the exposed cartridges (as most magazine pouches do).

gf

Link to TSA reg's

How about a link to the TSA reg's so I can print them and have them with me this spring. We will be flying to California and driving a motorcoach back to Indiana. I want to take 2 revolvers with me.

Thanks,
Fred

You should check with the ariline you're flying with. Some airlines charge a special fee if you're checking in firearms. Certain airlines will allow you to place your ammo with your firearms (I strongly advise against it). Other airlines (like United and Delta) require you to have your ammunition in a different piece of luggage. FAA doesn't require you to have your ammo in a different piece of luggage, it's up to the airlines, they do however require that the ammunition be transported in the original factory container or better (like plastic reload boxes). The ammunition has to be secured so it won't end up rolling around in your luggage during handling. You can transport loaded magazines, but the magazines must be in a pouch that encloses the exposed cartridges (as most magazine pouches do).

gf

Are you sure about Delta requiring ammo in different bag? Don't think this is their policy. Certainly is not their written policy. Maybe depends on the airports?

How about flying into California, any issues?

How about flying into and out of Ontario, Ca? We will be leaving Louisville, KY to California. I am permited in Indiana, my home state. Are there any issues I need to know about flying into and out of California? I will be bringing 2 revolvers and ammo.

Delta and Separate Bags

Are you sure about Delta requiring ammo in different bag? Don't think this is their policy. Certainly is not their written policy. Maybe depends on the airports?

I have never had a problem with Delta (or any other airline), but I pack my ammo and magazines in the same bag, both SEPARATE from the locked can that my pistole is in. All I show to the agent is an empty gun.

Every experience I have had while checking in my firearms when flying has been different. From the same airport to the same carrier their procedures seem to vary. Print out the TSA and Airline policy and be prepared to use them when you run into issues.

There is no TSA prohibition on ammo and firearm in the same case. I pack mine separately in my suitcase. Airlines do have different weight allowances on ammo however. Many allow 11 llbs. but check the airline web site.Alaska Air allows 50 llbs. They also may limit the number of firearms per case. Again check the web sight or call them before you fly. TSA allows loaded magazines as long as the open end is covered a la putting it into a mag carrier. Some airlines don't like it so I'd refrain from doing that too.

Travel by Air with checked firearms lots

Since I live in Hawaii all trips start with at least a five hour flight to the mainland. Maui airport (Hawaiian Air Lines) has gotten used to me, but they can't seemto remember if I'm LE flying armed or checking in a bag (unloaded). So sometimes I have to remind them. They have me fill out the little red tag"firearm is unloaded" put inside my TSA approved steel case which is inside my hard side luggage. They call TSA who comes normally very quick, and if more times than not it's one of the guys who likes guns so they are interested in "what your are packing today". Sometimes they have me check it to see if it's unloaded, most of the time they just swab the exterior of the steel TSA case and run a check to see if they get any hits on explosives. Lock up the case, lock up the hard side and the TSA agent takes my bag into the back. Never been any issues other than the ticket agents asking "what do you do for a living".
Las Vegas departure on Hawaiian is almost funny - I declare the firearm, the nice young lady hands me the red tag to fill out, ask me to open the steel case and asked me if I'm sure it's unloaded. No TSA agent comes to inspection (too many guns being checked in). You lock up your steel case and hard side bag, they put on the luggage belt - the agent calls the TSA screeners and says one bag on the belt with a pistol. Said to stand by for a about 10 minutes - the if no TSA call back board your flight.

When flying of Texas one trip I told the nice older lady working the ticket desk that I had an unloaded firearm in my luggage to declare. She said "why of course you do", everyone here flies with guns. Then she asked me what I was carrying, how did it shoot, what sights I like, obviously a gun person. I then locked everything up carried it back over to the TSA bag screening told him I there was a firearm in the bag and they ran it thought the machine and said have a nice flight.

Reno NV, declared the gun at check in, filled out the red tag, agent called TSA agent who did not show up for about 20 minutes. When she did arrive she apologized and said there were so many folks checking in with guns that morning that they were short handed and sorry for the wait. She grabbed my bag took it and me behind the counter, opened the bag, ran the explosives swipe test, told me lock up everything and have nice flight.

As other have stated above, carry a copy of the serial number, make model in your brief case should it get stolen, I also carry a print out of the current TSA and that airlines rules from their website (never needed them yet). And since Hawaii is a total NO tolerance gun state, I have a photo copy of my police permit for that particular gun. Technically you can only have in your possession pistols that are registered to you - you can't even have your wife or sons pistol unless you name also appears on the police permit.

Ammo - always in factory boxes and coming back from Las Vegas I had extra ammo from FrontSight week of training (10 boxes of 45 ACP) I put 5 each in two hard cases and no one said a word. They did put a "heavy" tag on one bag.

I also have a trip coming up and have never flown with my firearm--my question is where is my luggage with my locked case inside when I arrive at my destination? Does it come off the conveyor with everyone else's or do I pick it up somewhere else?

I have flown with handguns and long guns many times with no serious issues. The answer to your question depends on where you land. In most cases your bags arrive though the normal process, but in the case of long guns in large cases they may be segregated with golf clubs and other large items. Ask when you arrive. In the case of a handgun the firearm declaration is hidden in the case with the weapon for a reason - no one in the baggage handling process is supposed to know it is there.

I recently flew with a handgun and had no problems at all. I was nervous about a flight cancellation and overnight layover, but it all worked out fine. I printed out the TSA regulations for reference, just in case. After alerting the check-in agent, they quickly inspected the firearm to ensure it was unloaded, and gave their approval. One check-in agent reacted as if she was expecting me to pull the firearm out of a holster, and seemed relieved that it was locked and unloaded in a case. The other check-in agent proceeded to have a five minute conversation about my choice of firearm (she was considering one and wondered how I liked it).

Fly all the time with handguns and longguns, actually found most of the time I do not have to wait in line.

What about travelling abroad? Do all the same rules apply? I'd like to take along a handgun for some target
shooting and protection, more the former than the latter.

Different rules may very well apply for travelling overseas, also take into account country to which travelling

What about travelling abroad? Do all the same rules apply? I'd like to take along a handgun for some target
shooting and protection, more the former than the latter.
Check and double check the handgun laws in the country you are traveling to. Many places will allow you to bring a long gun but not a handgun. Do not assume that if your rifle is ok the handgun will be as well!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back