Religion and Self-Defense

charliej47

:wacko: As I have read the newspapers, magazines and the Net, listened to the TV and radio and it seems that today's judo-christian beliefs are more passive than anything else.

I have had discussions with religious leaders and almost everyone of them state that having a weapon and defending yourself is wrong if you use deadly force.

When I grew up the church I went to expressly stated that defending yourself and your family was demanded in the bible. They often quoted chapters and verses to back up their statements.

After I got out of the Army and got married, I started attending a local church and almost all of the local churches no longer advocate this belief.:fie:

Liberalism is like cancer, it spreads if nothing is done about it. At some point there is no remedy. If a church preaches that you can't protect yourself and others then it's time to find another church!

Liberalism is like cancer, it spreads if nothing is done about it. At some point there is no remedy. If a church preaches that you can't protect yourself and others then it's time to find another church!
Some Cancer treatments;
Radiation
Surgery
Chemotherapy

Which ones will work on those pesky liberals?

Yep, that about sums it up.

:wacko: As I have read the newspapers, magazines and the Net, listened to the TV and radio and it seems that today's judo-christian beliefs are more passive than anything else.

I have had discussions with religious leaders and almost everyone of them state that having a weapon and defending yourself is wrong if you use deadly force.

When I grew up the church I went to expressly stated that defending yourself and your family was demanded in the bible. They often quoted chapters and verses to back up their statements.

After I got out of the Army and got married, I started attending a local church and almost all of the local churches no longer advocate this belief.:fie:

Don't let anyone steer you wrong. It's still in the Bible and Jesus even told some that if they didn't have a sword to sell their cloak and buy one.

jesus-with-rifle-thumb.jpg

Then Jesus asked them, "When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?" "Nothing," they answered. He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a rifle, sell your cloak and buy a Winchester lever action.

Once again I post the rules here:

Keep all religion discussions in this forum. Due to the many different views, please refrain from ALL FIGHTING, BICKERING, and INSTIGATING. Anyone breaking these rules will be banned.

Pay particular attention to "INSTIGATING".

Once again I post the rules here:

Keep all religion discussions in this forum. Due to the many different views, please refrain from ALL FIGHTING, BICKERING, and INSTIGATING. Anyone breaking these rules will be banned.

Pay particular attention to "INSTIGATING".

ron even though the rules say no instigating it is obvious there are a couple that get away with violating this rule at will. I wonder if this will ever be enforced.

ron even though the rules say no instigating it is obvious there are a couple that get away with violating this rule at will. I wonder if this will ever be enforced.

+1. Seems to be quite the double standard, here. I honestly don't get it at all. They bitched, screamed, and hollered about religious discussion til Luke set up a specific forum for that. And then they pile into that forum and continue with their badgering. And of course, we're all supposed to smile meekly and accept whatever they choose to throw at us. Not quite my style, which should be readily apparent by now.

There is nothing passive about the "Judeo" part of your statement. I'm not sure why "Judeo" still gets linked with Christianity as much as it does. It's a lot of the Levitical law that gives the baiters the ammunition to make it all look dark and nasty. This will be the fifth time or so I mention context.

You mentioned being in the Army. I take it that you were able to come to justify that. How is owning a firearm outside the military different?

Peace!

+1. Seems to be quite the double standard, here. I honestly don't get it at all. They bitched, screamed, and hollered about religious discussion til Luke set up a specific forum for that. And then they pile into that forum and continue with their badgering. And of course, we're all supposed to smile meekly and accept whatever they choose to throw at us. Not quite my style, which should be readily apparent by now.

I've often thought the same thing. Why would someone who so adamantly opposes the discussion, or even the mention of religion on this site spend so much time on the religious board? Makes you kind of wonder about a lot of stuff, huh??

Sometimes common sense must come before a religious belief. Never will I find myself "turning the other cheek" if my life, or my family's lives are in danger. I'd rather send two hot ones the BG's way and find out if his god will protect him from led poisoning...

I've often thought the same thing. Why would someone who so adamantly opposes the discussion, or even the mention of religion on this site spend so much time on the religious board?

Easy, just look up the word MORON.

Easy, just look up the word MORON.

I've often thought the same thing. Why would someone who so adamantly opposes the discussion, or even the mention of religion on this site spend so much time on the religious board? Makes you kind of wonder about a lot of stuff, huh??

or it could be that as christians you should always be ready to be tested. And as christians you should always be setting the example, since you are acting as dignitaries of "god". So far from what I have seen you are failing at both of these tests. By calling those who would question your beliefs morons or other uncouth names does not seem to live up to your high moral standards that you should be following and teaching.

(cough, cough) Thread topic: Religion and Guns.

The way see it, there's a fundamental tendency to orient evey aspect consciousness, regardless of what it is, to the religion.

How about:

Little league and guns
Motocross and guns
Cooking and guns
NASCAR and guns
NFL and guns
Birdwatching and guns​

If you don't get my point, I'll just decline to continue participating in this thread.

Cheers...

. By calling those who would question your beliefs morons or other uncouth names does not seem to live up to your high moral standards that you should be following and teaching.
The question had nothing to do with anyone questioning my beliefs. I didn't present any belief. The question was,"Why would someone who so adamantly opposes the discussion , or even the mention of religion on this site spend so much time on the religious board"? And there is nothing uncouth about the truth.

when i see this topic i think of the two pastors that were walking one day when a man stopped one of them and said, hey do you believe in turning the other cheek, and the pastor said yes, so the man hit him on the right cheek and knocked him down, he got up and turned to the left, the man hit him in the left cheek knocking him down, the pastor got up and beat the stuffing out of the man, the other pastor said brother why did you do that? he said the Lord left me no further instuctions.:pleasantry:

when i see this topic i think of the two pastors that were walking one day when a man stopped one of them and said, hey do you believe in turning the other cheek, and the pastor said yes, so the man hit him on the right cheek and knocked him down, he got up and turned to the left, the man hit him in the left cheek knocking him down, the pastor got up and beat the stuffing out of the man, the other pastor said brother why did you do that? he said the Lord left me no further instructions.:pleasantry:

The problem with most Christians and all of secular society is ignorance of Biblical scripture. To "turn the other cheek" has absolutely nothing to do with physically defending ones person. The true understanding and interpretation of "to turn the other cheek" simply means that one is not to do a dirty deed back unto someone who has done a dirty deed unto them. If someone cheats you or lies about you, you are not to retaliate with lies about them or cheat them in return. This ignorance is pathetic and childish when presented by those who are secular, and irresponsible by those proclaiming to be Christian when lacking knowledge. Christians don't need further instruction, they need a deep study of Scripture to further their knowledge. With knowledge comes responsibly, with more knowledge, more responsibility. Scripture interprets scripture, seek and you will find.

the problem with most christians and all of secular society is ignorance of biblical scripture. To "turn the other cheek" has absolutely nothing to do with physically defending ones person. The true understanding and interpretation of "to turn the other cheek" simply means that one is not to do a dirty deed back unto someone who has done a dirty deed unto them. If someone cheats you or lies about you, you are not to retaliate with lies about them or cheat them in return. This ignorance is pathetic and childish when presented by those who are secular, and irresponsible by those proclaiming to be christian when lacking knowledge. Christians don't need further instruction, they need a deep study of scripture to further their knowledge. with knowledge comes responsibly, with more knowledge, more responsibility. Scripture interprets scripture, seek and you will find.

it was a joke!!!!! Gee.

it was a joke!

And a good one. But I really liked what Ringo had to say too!

I don't completely agree, in that I think there are spiritual ramifications "turning the other cheek." Strictly from the Christian perspective, it seems inarguable that we should strive for the same love and consideration for our fellow man that Christ did. Jesus "gave" his life on the cross, but he "did not give" it up before then. To turn the other cheek when good can come of it is always noble. To die a senseless death is, well, senseless. And even worse, to allow someone else to die a senseless death because one has "issues" on the topic of self defense is just sad. I would not stand between a man and our God over his if someones "issues" cost me my life, but I can tell you that no one will have the chance to do that if it be up to me!

I'm here to serve God, and as a corollary to that, I'm here to serve mankind. Protection, safe-keeping, and the like are all just part of the job. I might lay down my life to allow someone a real opportunity to change theirs for the better. I say may because, obviously, I haven't done that. I hope that I would. But, as a rule, there is no spiritual ground to be gained by allowing a gross act of immorality terminating in death to continue unchecked. If Jesus taught that the Sabboth "should" be broken under the old law in order to save a lamb from "possible" danger, then how the more so we must be responsible for the safe-keeping of our fellow man, saved or not.

I must say though, for those that just aren't up to it, I would never wish you harm for that anymore than I'd wish you harm in general. Just please be gentle with me as I continue to look out for the both of us to the best of my ability!

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back