How Often Do You Practice With Your Carry Weapon??

How Often Do You Practice With Your Carry Weapon?

• Daily

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Twice a week

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 23 28.0%
  • Twice a Monthly

Votes: 15 18.3%
  • Quarterly

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Annually

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bi-Annually

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tex45acp

How ofter do you take your CCW and whatever means you carry by, to a range and actually draw from that means of concealment, fire at least one round and reholster. I actually do this at least once a week, wearing my gun IWB, with my everyday street clothes.

Last edited:
Around here, the indoor ranges don't allow draw from concealment & fire except during IDPA and IPSC matches. I try to shoot at least 1 match a month, sometimes 2 or 3 when they are available and my schedule allows.

I've often wondered if getting an air-soft replica of one's carry pistol (to fit in the same holsters) would be a worthwhile practice tool. I'm not 'into' the air-soft thing, so I'm not sure if models like that are available... It sure would be safer, and allow one to practice quick-draw and point-shooting without annoying the neighbors or having to go to the range (which may or may not allow drawing from a holster).

Never really tought of airsoft guns for keeping sharp. I wonder how much the weight difference will affect the draw under stress. I also like to draw, fire one round and reholster. I want it to be a fluid motion done without too much thought. I want it to be mechanical. I also practice the Tueller Drill from a sitting position. I have even turned my car sideways across the firing line at the range when I am alone, and drawn from a sitting position and seatbelted in.....now that one is a real challenge. I did that one with dummy rounds the firat 10 times just to make sure I did not accidentally fire in the car when moving into position to fire at the BG. The only problem is the brass bouncing around into the windshield can be very distracting. I really have tried many non standard shooting scenarios to see just how I will handle then if, God forbid, they actually occur. This might seem to be a bit over the top, but I have always planned for the worst case scenario in any situation and try to be prepared for anything out of the ordinary.

tex

I get together with a brother-in-law once a week at our local indoor range. We've come to really enjoy it and the "friendly competition" makes it a lot more fun, too.

I get together with a brother-in-law once a week at our local indoor range. We've come to really enjoy it and the "friendly competition" makes it a lot more fun, too.

My brother-in-law and I do the same thing almost every week. It is a lot more fun when you do have some "friendly competition".

Never really tought of airsoft guns for keeping sharp. I wonder how much the weight difference will affect the draw under stress.

There are many different types of airsoft guns out there. Cheaper ones are made of plastic and you can get metal ones that operate like the real thing. We use the nicer ones in some of our training and they weigh almost the same as a real Glock. I have found them to be a wonderful training tool.

I usually practice twice a week, drawing from holster, and in a lay down position
have my own range, outdoors of course, practice in each hand, and both hands

Every week for me. I belong to a shooting league. It is a defensive shooting league. Can never get too much practice.

Every time I go shooting, especially if there's no one else at the range. There's alot you can practice if you're the only one there...

There are many different types of airsoft guns out there. Cheaper ones are made of plastic and you can get metal ones that operate like the real thing. We use the nicer ones in some of our training and they weigh almost the same as a real Glock. I have found them to be a wonderful training tool.
I don't know much about AS guns as far as what all is out there. Do you know the namebrand of the ones you use, or possibly have a link? Very interested!

I fire as often as I can. I just walk out back and set up a target and shoot away. If it's raining or sometimes at night I shoot in my workshop. I have a bullet trap I made years ago and it will stop any handgun round and small cal rifles.

I chose daily, becuse it didn't specify live fire.

I live fire at least once a week, usually a couple of times, but I dry fire at least a few minutes every day.

I don't know much about AS guns as far as what all is out there. Do you know the namebrand of the ones you use, or possibly have a link? Very interested!

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=792

This is the one I use. Almost the identical weight of my Kimber. The blow-back slide on it will help in re-aquiring the target. It doesn't have a lot of kick to it, but will disturb your sight picture enough that you will have to get back on target before your next shot.

I really think these are a great training tool, especially for those who can't get to the range enough.

How often I practice

Try to shoot once a month. Draw and dry fire, with an empty gun of course, as often as I can.

rabywk, thanks for the link - it got me started. Here is what I found - its supposed to be the best airsoft Glock replica there is. For $150-$175, it better be.

http://www.planetairsoft.net/reviews/review-kscg19.htm

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/reviews/ksc_g19/ksc_g19_review.htm

I'm thinking seriously about getting one of these. That would turn the garage into a low on ammo/bad weather close quarters range. I know this can't replace the real thing - its just a supplement - but it definitely would have its advantages here and there over using a real gun for dry firing and drawing practice.

This isn't a Glock-exclusive thing, either. There are several companies I have found in the last day or so that make pretty good replicas of alot of different pistols.

rabywk, thanks for the link - it got me started. Here is what I found - its supposed to be the best airsoft Glock replica there is. For $150-$175, it better be.

http://www.planetairsoft.net/reviews/review-kscg19.htm

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/?filnavn=/reviews/ksc_g19/ksc_g19_review.htm

I'm thinking seriously about getting one of these. That would turn the garage into a low on ammo/bad weather close quarters range. I know this can't replace the real thing - its just a supplement - but it definitely would have its advantages here and there over using a real gun for dry firing and drawing practice.

This isn't a Glock-exclusive thing, either. There are several companies I have found in the last day or so that make pretty good replicas of alot of different pistols.

I have to agree here......if for no other reason of building muscle memory and task memory. Drawing from your holster, sweeping off the thumb safety, moving to the two handed grip and alining the sights on the intended target. All done without the fear, of the real gun going off accidentally, and sending a real round womeplace where you dont want.

tex

Until recently I was going at least once a week. I would go on Wed. during lunch and then sometimes on the weekend. I liked going at lunch because there were maybe 2 other people if that and I didn't feel rushed to give up the spot to someone else waiting. But I've been really busy and haven't been to the range in weeks. Once I get settled in Tampa I will get back on a shooting schedule as my work schedule will be flexible so that I can go whenever I want.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back