I Need Your Input

Bucho

I have a question and wanted your input...

I normally carry a .38 special in a IWB holster at about 4 o'clock.

I bought a holster a few weeks ago for my 9mm auto. I wanted to try carrying it for a while because I have considered switching from my .38 to a semi-automatic.

I was practicing drawing the 9mm (unloaded of course) and had a couple of problems. I have the right size holster and it fits well. It has a velcro strap that fits over the butt of the gun. When I attempted to draw, I experienced one of the following:

1. Even with the strap undone, I would yank hard and the gun wouldn't come out.

2. I would draw and the holster came with it.

I could use two hands and hold the holster down while I drew the gun but I need to be able to draw fastly and with one hand.

Any suggestions?

There's NO WAY I would keep my weapon in a holster that came out WITH it! You didn't really mention what kind of holster you bought though. Kydex, leather, nylon? Does it have a retension screw? Which 9mm are you using? Did you check to see if the sights, grips, rails or any other part of the weapon are snagging the holster?

I hope I listed something that you over looked but if not, consider a new holster as opposed to waiting to see if it will "break-in". Also, I've never had anyone tell me "no" when I asked if I could test fit my gun. I would definitley take the gun with me when shopping. Like trying on pants I guess.

My $.02 :)

Thanks!

I am using a nylon holster. I tried having the clip under my belt and over my belt - still the same problem. Although, the holster did stay a bit better with the belt over it obviously.

It isn't snagging anywhere. As ridiculous as it sounds, it just doesn't come out. It's kinda like the gun and the texture of the holster just don't slide well.

Just as you mentioned, I immediately switched back to my .38 along with its holster which can be drawn quickly. There's no point carrying if you couldn't draw it if you needed to.

I'm just hoping somebody would have some recommendations.

I have a question and wanted your input...

I normally carry a .38 special in a IWB holster at about 4 o'clock.

I bought a holster a few weeks ago for my 9mm auto. I wanted to try carrying it for a while because I have considered switching from my .38 to a semi-automatic.

I was practicing drawing the 9mm (unloaded of course) and had a couple of problems. I have the right size holster and it fits well. It has a velcro strap that fits over the butt of the gun. When I attempted to draw, I experienced one of the following:

1. Even with the strap undone, I would yank hard and the gun wouldn't come out.

2. I would draw and the holster came with it.

I could use two hands and hold the holster down while I drew the gun but I need to be able to draw fastly and with one hand.

Any suggestions?

There is only one remedy for this, buy a quality holster and not a piece of junk.

I never cease to be amazed at the number of people that will spend upwards of $1,000 for a gun and then balk at paying $100 for a good holster.

I fit the firearm into the holster without it in the waistband. You will then be able to see if the firearm can freely be drawn from the holster. It's possible that you have the wrong sized holster for your firearm. Some of the "universal" holsters aren't as "universal" as they are represented to be. ;) I've got a couple of nylon holsters that I use on occasion. I've also got a Fobus IWB holster for my Glock 23. It fits great. When I first got it, the fit was a little too tight. I used my Dremel and made some minor alterations. It's my primary holster when carrying IWB at 11 o'clock.

gf

I speculate the holster clip is not thick enough to cover your belt. If the tab isn't going under your belt the holster is going to come out instead of the gun. I am not a fan of nylon holsters. You can get fairly nice holsters for a reasonable price. I have a Bianchi 100 pro. While it is not a great holster, I like it a lot better than any nylon holster I have ever used. It runs less than $50. You can also try wrapping a thin piece of cloth around the gun and working it in and out of the holster. This can help break it in. Good Luck.

You still didn't mention whick 9mm you carry but, it about the most popular round on the planet so even if you have a Llama I would almost bet there's a good affordable holster for it.

Did you check the holster section of this site.
P.S. I hate nylon holsters and never had saw one I would trust. Leather is comfy and smooth, Kydex is quick but bulky.

You still didn't mention whick 9mm you carry but, it about the most popular round on the planet so even if you have a Llama I would almost bet there's a good affordable holster for it.

Did you check the holster section of this site.
P.S. I hate nylon holsters and never had saw one I would trust. Leather is comfy and smooth, Kydex is quick but bulky.

+1 on nylon holsters. Memphis, kydex being bulky? Not so for me. Perhaps you are referring to OWB?

DeSantis Holsters & Leather Goods, makes a Kydex IWB thats awsome, The name of the holster is the Scorpion...

I keep my gun daily in a cheap 20 dollar uncle mikes hip NYLON holster. You can use a cheap holster but there are some basic requirements.

1. Dont use velcro to secure your gun, it gives your position away as you draw and it takes effort to get it open; Have either open, inside thumb snap, or internal retention with a screw.

2. The gun should slide in and out with ease. If its tight enough to draw up with the holster without anything else holding the gun down, find something else.

3. The holster should fit securely to your belt. AKA if the holster goes up so should your belt and you. That means a belt slide, good paddle clip, or tight belt clips. There is a 20 uncle mike holster that I first bought with cheap belt clips. I would never use it for concealment as I can pull the holster off with my pinky. Its only meant to protect my finish.

4. The walls of the holster should be thick or hard enough to protect the gun and trigger well from damage or disturbance. 10 ply nylon not kiddie toy 2 cent nylon.

I know I'll probably get flamed for saying that cheap holsters can be good. But, its true. You just have to meet the requirements. If you cannot draw your gun from the same position in the same speed with the same manner each time then you should not use that holster. However, there are less than 80 dollar options out there for the financially declined that work wonders. Just my bucket of pennies.

Did you get a new holster yet Bucho? And what gun are you carrying with what (bad) holster. Others can learn from that little tidbit.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back