When to tell a LEO you are packing?

armyman_83

lowly crusader
Hey there,

Just wondering if there was any link by state as to when you must inform a LEO when you are Carrying Concealed? I live in Alabama and poked around the State's Code, but couldn't find anything off hand. I am pretty sure it is different for each state.

Haven't carried much since I am stationed in Germany, but can't wait to get back to the States!

Don't know of anyplace that makes it easy to find but I had a list at one time.
If I remember right, only 8 states require you to inform when carrying.

I made a list about a year ago. I'm pretty sure it's still accurate. The states in which you must inform LEO that you are carrying are:

N. Carolina
S. Carolina
Ohio
Michigan
Louisiana
Arkansas
Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska

I made a list about a year ago. I'm pretty sure it's still accurate. The states in which you must inform LEO that you are carrying are:

N. Carolina
S. Carolina
Ohio
Michigan
Louisiana
Arkansas
Texas
Oklahoma
Nebraska

I am pretty sure that Ohio has ammended that on to you do not have to notify. I am of the opinion that is a courtesy to do so....:agree:

I decided it was time to update my list, so I went through each and every states .pdf file on Handgunlaws.com. It's really not that difficult, as they post the information about informing police right at the top. Most of the pages were listed as updated recently. As of today, here are the states that require you inform the LEO if you are carrying a firearm:

Alaska
Arkansas
Louisiana
Michigan
Nebraska
N.Carolina
S.Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Texas

Since these seem to change more frequently than I imagined,, I would plan on checking this site just before traveling. Better to be safe than sorry if one were to be stopped. Hope this helps.

here in virginia, if the leo runs your lisene nomber it will show it if you have a permit. i have heard this many times over the scanner. i got stopped for speeding and the trooper said "i see you have a concealed carry permit " nothing else said about it.

here in virginia, if the leo runs your lisene nomber it will show it if you have a permit. i have heard this many times over the scanner. i got stopped for speeding and the trooper said "i see you have a concealed carry permit " nothing else said about it.

Welcome to the forum roady.

Works the same way here in Utah. We're not required to notify but it comes up when the officer calls in your licence so the CWP instructors advise us to notify. I had a discussion about this today with another CWP holder at work. He asked if I would notify and I said absolutely, even if I wasn't carrying. He didn't think he would. I guess it's a personal choice. I haven't had an LEO encounter since I got my permit but since the cop knows anyway why play games?

BTW, there are 6 CWP holders where I work (that I know of) so that's 10% of the people. Three of us are former Marines. We're allowed to have weapons in our cars but we can't bring them in the building. I don't know if any of them do. I guess that's one time "don't ask - don't tell" works for me.

Hey everybody. Here in PA, you do not have to inform. But in Philadelphia, you have to. Philly makes up their own rules regardless of state law.

I got pulled over in North East Philly a couple weeks ago. I had to get my wallet out of my strong side back pocket so I figured i'd tell the cop just in case he saw it. So I tell him that I have a license to carry and that I have a weapon on me. He didn't bat an eye and went back to his car. Now I hear sirens racing towards our location and i'm thinking...here we go. About 15 minutes later, he gives me a ticket for "amplified exhaust" and started bullshiting about my car. He didn't try and disarm me or even ask to see the weapon. I was still pissed about getting a $119 ticket though.

When he/she ask, and pretty much that's it. My state isn't a shall inform state and I feel no need to offer up my concealment unless requested or mandated by law. You never know what the attitude of the officer might be. He might be totally against a private law abiding citizen carrying a firearm and decide to cause you some grief just cause he can. It's been my experience in 40 + years on planet earth, that ya just never know what you're dealing with until the cards are on the table and everyone shows their hand. My philosophy, why show until you are called.

As a side note: I'm in no way saying Police officers are all Barney Fife's by any means, but I'm from Atlanta Ga and most can recall or have heard about the Little lady gunned down by the Atlanta PD by mistake and how they tried to plant evidence to avoid prosecution. My point is, they are out there and they are human just like you and me, so it's best to play it slow and methodical cause in most cases that's what they're gonna do while dealing with you, plain and simple.

I would think a good time to tell him, would be right after he tells you to step out of the vehicle and put your hands on the roof.:sarcastic::sarcastic:

In the only encounter I've had,I gave the officer my DL, HCL, insurance card. He thanked me and returned the insurance card and HCL. I was not asked if I had a weapon or where it was located. He probably wouldn't have wanted any suprises, nor did I. As the number on the DL and HCL are the same, it would have showed up when the number was ran.

My procedure is to keep both hands on the wheel and when the LEO approaches say "Officer I have a CHP and I am armed, how would you like me to proceed?"

It works very well and they seem to appreciate the courtesy

To clarify SC law:

From SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits. Article K:

(K) A permit holder must have his permit identification card in his possession whenever he carries a concealable weapon. When carrying a concealable weapon pursuant to Article 4 of Chapter 31 of Title 23, a permit holder must inform a law enforcement officer of the fact that he is a permit holder and present the permit identification card when an officer (1) identifies himself as a law enforcement officer and (2) requests identification or a driver’s license from a permit holder.

www.SCSLED.SC.GOV has all gun laws.

Link: Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back