SAF to financially support Oregon Teachers Lawsuit to Carry Concealed

doublenutz

SECOND AMENDMENT FOUNDATION OFFERS SUPPORT TO OREGON TEACHER’S LAWSUIT

BELLEVUE, WA – The Second Amendment Foundation today announced that it is supporting a lawsuit filed by an Oregon high school teacher against the Medford School District, in a case that could have statewide, if not national implications.

The teacher, identified as “Jane Doe” to protect her privacy, is licensed to carry a concealed firearm under Oregon state statute. She is fearful for her safety, and that of her students, because of threats she has reportedly received from her ex-husband, against whom she has a restraining order. School officials are refusing to allow her to bring her gun on campus, despite Oregon law which appears to allow it. Anti-gun State Sen. Ginny Burdick (D-Portland) has vowed to introduce legislation that will exempt Oregon public schools from the state’s pre-emption law.

“This is a case where the issue seems crystal clear,” said SAF founder Alan Gottlieb. “Here is a woman who has taken all the proper, legal steps for her own safety, and quite possibly the safety of her students and fellow teachers. Oregon’s pre-emption law appears to be on her side, and so are we.

“Today, I am sending a check to Lake Oswego attorney James Leuenberger, who is representing the teacher,” Gottlieb stated. “We believe this case to have lots of merit, not only for the individual rights of the plaintiff, but also for the rights of all Oregon firearms owners, and especially other women who may find themselves in a similar unpleasant situation.”

A hearing on the case is scheduled on Thursday, Oct. 11 in Jackson County Court.

“We are confident that the court will make a decision based on the clear wording of the Oregon statute, rather than on political correctness,” Gottlieb said. “There is no good reason why a school district can simply ignore state law, much less the safety of one of its employees.”

The Second Amendment Foundation (www.saf.org) is the nations oldest and largest tax-exempt education, research, publishing and legal action group focusing on the Constitutional right and heritage to privately own and possess firearms. Founded in 1974, The Foundation has grown to more than 600,000 members and supporters and conducts many programs designed to better inform the public about the consequences of gun control. SAF has previously funded successful firearms-related suits against the cities of Los Angeles; New Haven, CT; and San Francisco on behalf of American gun owners, a lawsuit against the cities suing gun makers and an amicus brief and fund for the Emerson case holding the Second Amendment as an individual right.

I fully support teachers being able to carry concealed in the classroom and at all school-sponsored activies. I think some type of training beyond a CCW class would be in order, though. With that many people guaranteed to be in adjoining areas, some extra tactical and marksmanship training would be a good idea. Something along the lines of each state's Highway Patrol providing the training at a reasonable cost to the teacher?

If the difference between a law allowing it being passed or not meant skipping the training to allow it, I guess I'd say skip the training. Armed teachers with no training beyond passing a CCW class would be better than continuing the designated victim zones, at least.

I fully support teachers being able to carry concealed in the classroom and at all school-sponsored activies. I think some type of training beyond a CCW class would be in order, though. With that many people guaranteed to be in adjoining areas, some extra tactical and marksmanship training would be a good idea. Something along the lines of each state's Highway Patrol providing the training at a reasonable cost to the teacher?

If the difference between a law allowing it being passed or not meant skipping the training to allow it, I guess I'd say skip the training. Armed teachers with no training beyond passing a CCW class would be better than continuing the designated victim zones, at least.

Just make certain this is not the guy giving any firearms training>>> YouTube - DEA Shoots Himself

I am all for right to carry on public and private school campuses nationwide by teachers, adult students and other non-felon American Citizens.

Repeal the Gun Free School Zones and other purposes act...

AKA: The Kill Free Zone and leave our kids and their teachers defenseless act...

Gun free zones raise crime

After Virgina Tech (and a dozen of other shootings) do they not understand that criminals feel safe doing crime where law abiding citizens aren't allowed to carry guns? Do they really think a criminal will think twice about hurting or murdering someone in these "gun free zones?"
I guess the fact that the people willing to murder or commit violent crime is proof that they aren't willing to obey the law and aren't afraid of the punishment for breaking it, therefore we need laws to prevent everyone from carrying their weapons so that these people can't even commit violent crimes. Can someone please explain to me this logic? What an illogical, self refuting idea!
Can someone please explain to me why Washington DC and its gun ban has one of the largest crime rate then any other city in the United States. Or how "gun free" countries have significantly higher crime rates then countries that are pro gun? Can anyone? Oh, heres a thought, maybe its because the law breakers are more confident in committing crime because law abiding citizens CAN NOT PROTECT THEM SELVES!

Last edited:
oh, and big props to Utah who, after reviewing the tragedy at Virgina Tech, lifted their law preventing students and teachers from carrying guns on school property.

Support OFF Oregon Firearms Federation This is the people that are protecting Oregonians gun rigths and paying for a big part of the appeal on this issue. It is not against the law for a teacher to carry in a school in Oregon. What is going on here is school employees can now get fired for carrying but there can't be no criminal charges against them. But anyone with a chl in Oregon can carry in a school. This judge has gone against Oregon State law.

Teachers need help!

One of he Grandsons has to go to school in the greater southeastern Michigan area. He is constantly complaining about the kids attitudes and the fighting in the classrooms. Gangs are running the halls. The Teachers are helpless to bring things under control. There are LEOs attacked to the schools but they are badly out numbered. In the Pontiac area, there are students on trial for murder of homeless people. I have no problem with teachers or other school administrators being armed. I think maybe extra training would be in line as well as proficiency testing.

RHB

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back