Slow in Ct.

Riff Raff

Wondering why it's so slow in Ct. How many members do we have in the state?:confused:

CT member

Norwich here. Member of Quaker Hill Rod & Gun Club.

CT...

I have a non-resident CT. CT SP always takes the full 60 days. While CT is borderline shall issue, CT SP always drags their feet from what I've heard. On the 60th day I CT SP an e-mail, they responded back it'll be in the mail next week. I also had to send it back because they omitted a digit on my weight. Took about two weeks for them to straighten that out and send me another one.

If you're a CT resident, it's usually the local agency you apply through that drags their feet. If it's moving too slow for you, you could petition the CT BPFE. CT SP and local law enforcement agencies get their wrists slapped by the CT BPFE regularly.

CT SP and local law enforcement agencies get their wrists slapped by the CT BPFE regularly.

The CT BPFE is currently being sued with a class action including one of their own board members for not doing their job.

Link Removed

The BPFE doesn't want you to have a gun anymore than your local PD dragging their feet on your permit does.

CT is largely gun-unfriendly. Even CT's pro-gun residents are mostly content to watch the fed pass laws restricting their rights and as I see it would be more than willing to hand their guns over to the first "official" knocking on the door demanding them.

Annexed by NY or NJ?

Sounds like CT is getting annexed into NJ or NY(C). Back when I applied for my CT back in 2005 and the experiences I heard about on PDO prior to its demise, CT was only running a week or two behind the 60 days. BPFE smacked CT SP over requiring a non-resident applicant having a CCW in their State of residency when a NJ resident was denied by CT SP for not having a NJ CCW. Sounds like my renewal in 2010 is going to be interesting if this mess is still in place.

CT laws

I think CT has a reasonable set of carry laws. A pistol permit is all-inclusive; with a permit you can buy a handgun with no waiting period, take it to the car and load it up, then holster it all legally. I do have a beef with adoption of a "Clinton ban" that outlaws specific weapons. The carry laws are fair.

I think CT has a reasonable set of carry laws. A pistol permit is all-inclusive; with a permit you can buy a handgun with no waiting period, take it to the car and load it up, then holster it all legally. I do have a beef with adoption of a "Clinton ban" that outlaws specific weapons. The carry laws are fair.

I pretty much completely agree. The "Assault" weapons ban is stupid.

I pretty much completely agree. The "Assault" weapons ban is stupid.

Seriously. Nothing quite like not being able to get an AK in 7.62 but I can go home and stroke my Mini-30 with high-caps, my .308 AR with high-caps, my .223 AR with high-caps, soon my M4gery in 6.8 with high-caps, my CX4 with high-caps, my SKS with high-caps etc...

The worst part about the AK ban in CT is it seems completely arbitrary and so obviously pointless even from the position of a gun-grabber. What exactly is banning a 7.62 AK supposed to accomplish?

At the very least some continuity and an all out ban on semiautomatic rifles would leave me less frustrated than to just pick one for no apparent reason and ban it for the sake of banning it. Such a ban would also leave me moving out of CT ASAP but at least there would be some logical closure.

Newly here from Pennsylvania.

I moved back to CT a few weeks ago from PA. I am still going through the wringer trying to get my permit here in New Haven. VERY anti department, it seems. Odd, since this is one of the more dangerous areas of the state, but I guess that is the way it usually is, right?

I have to admit, it's good to know people in your local PD. I'm very familiar with the people in my department and hope to join them soon on the service. The whole thing took me about a month from start to finish.

Alternately, it took my dad about 3 months when he got his. Both of us being active in the firearm circuits, we have rarely encountered anyone of whom the process took more than three months with an average of two.

Of course, there are many mitigating factors to consider:

-How many times have you moved in your lifetime?
-Ever lived out of this country?
-Convictions of any kind, even juvenile?
-Where and what do you do for work?

Most of these factors wont prevent you from getting a permit as most of you may know but it can considerably slow the process.

For example, my father many years ago while trying to obtain an assault rifle (post-ban, lame) was held up for many months by the ATFE simply because he had an arrest over 20 years ago that never led to conviction. They didn't stop him but he did have to wait and jump through a few hoops.

Also, don't be afraid to ask as to the status of your application. Sometimes you just get pushed to the back of the line for whatever reason and they need to be reminded of the fact that you've been waiting far longer than the legal time limit imposed by the state senate.

Why is it reasonable to have to have a "permit"? When I was in Ct (quite a long time ago) it was illegal to carry a handgun anywhere except from the gun shop to your home or place of business without a carry permit. Frankly, insane laws.

Why is it reasonable to have to have a "permit"? When I was in Ct (quite a long time ago) it was illegal to carry a handgun anywhere except from the gun shop to your home or place of business without a carry permit. Frankly, insane laws.

What's so insane about requiring a permit to conceal carry a firearm? I think it's a great idea and sifts out the crazies. On the other hand, in more rural areas I think of should be okay to carry outside non concealed. I say this because open carry in higher population areas would probably cause issues in the north. Seeing as my brother got the SWAT team called on him for shooting a BB gun in the field near our house just shows how tight lipped we are about guns...you know, the things we fought with for our freedom! That was a bit of a sidetrack, but still. :)

What's so insane about requiring a permit to conceal carry a firearm?

There is no evidence it makes any difference.

I say this because open carry in higher population areas would probably cause issues in the north

No doubt. Apparently the people in the north have become "subjects" waiting for "government" to take care of them and tell them how to act (including how to spend the money they earn). Kalifornia is much the same.

What's so insane about requiring a permit to conceal carry a firearm? I think it's a great idea and sifts out the crazies. On the other hand, in more rural areas I think of should be okay to carry outside non concealed. I say this because open carry in higher population areas would probably cause issues in the north. Seeing as my brother got the SWAT team called on him for shooting a BB gun in the field near our house just shows how tight lipped we are about guns...you know, the things we fought with for our freedom! That was a bit of a sidetrack, but still. :)

While we're at it, why don't we also require a permit to exercise your free speech rights, the right of the press to report the news, or your right to practice whatever religion you choose? All of these are constitutional rights, and none of them require a permit to exercise; why is 2A always treated so differently?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back