Visiting Florida in February

Ranger9

I will be visiting Fla. during second week of Feb., flying into Orlando. This will be my first time traveling with Kansas CCH. Any advice would be appreciated. Does someone have link to a website where I can bone up on Fla. laws re: CC. Thanks in advance.

You can check this out also.

Link Removed

Oh and wouldn't you know it my birthday is in the second week of February. A pound of Accuate #2 or a box of .223 bullets would be nice! :D

LOL, enjoy your time here in Florida and stay safe!

See Florida Statute 790.06 (12)

Click on the FL link on this PDF document at Link Removed. The prohibited areas a bulleted and much easier to read than reading the actual statute which is a long paragraph.

Also double check the FL reciprocity page before you go if you don't have a FL CWFL. If you have a FL CWFL, take it anyway. Not all FL LEOs keep up with reciprocity. Sometimes reciprocity changes and not necessarily in our favor. The KS AG and Governor are not pro-2A.

Also remember TSA regulations pertaining to traveling with firearms. With respect to the combination or key to the firearm case, the passenger must maintain the key or combination to the locks of the unloaded firearm case in accordance with 49 CFR 1540.111. Do not use TSA approved locks on your firearm cases.

Click on the FL link on this PDF document at Link Removed. The prohibited areas a bulleted and much easier to read than reading the actual statute which is a long paragraph.
I checked this website and found the list of places where it is unlawful to carry. This list is similar to that of Kansas, however KS also allows private businesses to prohibit CCW within buildings on their property, provided they conspicuously post a uniform, approved sign (black handgun in red circle w/red slash). Carrying past the posted sign could subject a person to being arrested and charged with a criminal act. What I have been unable to determine is: Does Florida have a provision in its law to allow private businesses and/or property owners to "post" their property? If so, do these "postings" carry the weight of law, i.e can a person be arrested for violating? Also am I required to inform LEO when carrying CCW, or only if asked?

Also double check the FL reciprocity page before you go if you don't have a FL CWFL. If you have a FL CWFL, take it anyway. Not all FL LEOs keep up with reciprocity. Sometimes reciprocity changes and not necessarily in our favor. The KS AG and Governor are not pro-2A.
Yes, KS and FL are reciprocal as far as each state honors the others CCW license. You're right about our Governor and AG, they fought tooth and nail to stop CCW in KS. We'll have a new AG after Jan. 31, since our current AG was forced to resign after details of his two-year long affair surfaced. That's the good part. The bad part is that the Governor gets to appoint the new AG.

Also remember TSA regulations pertaining to traveling with firearms. With respect to the combination or key to the firearm case, the passenger must maintain the key or combination to the locks of the unloaded firearm case in accordance with 49 CFR 1540.111.
I purchased a metal case with keyed lock (packaging says "meets TSA/Airline firearm guidelines").
Do not use TSA approved locks on your firearm cases
DO NOT use TSA approved locks on your firearms cases? I'm not sure what you mean?

Clarification...

What I have been unable to determine is: Does Florida have a provision in its law to allow private businesses and/or property owners to "post" their property? If so, do these "postings" carry the weight of law, i.e can a person be arrested for violating? Also am I required to inform LEO when carrying CCW, or only if asked?
Absolutely not; signage in Florida has no force of law other than simple trespass. This drives the Rodent (Disney) Corporate up the wall. People who descreetly and responsibly CCW inside of Florida Rodent properties all the time and don't get made. Universal Orlando also has a fine print no weapons policy posted on their website. If they don't catch you, no problem. If they do catch you, worst that can happen is you will be trespassed from the property. I carried my S&W 908 inside of Universal Orlando without issue last September. A word of warning, all Florida amusement parks do a cursory bag check, if you're going to CCW inside a Florida amusement park, carry it on your body and not in a bag and keep it absolutely concealed during your stay there. In additional to Universal Orlando I've been to Busch Gardens Tampa twice this last December. I kept it absolutely concealed and had a wonderful time. I also secured it in a locker while on thrill rides. Like it or not, there is a possibility of losing your firearm while enjoying such attractions so I aired on the side of caution. Even if you are carrying in a secure fashion on a thrill ride you won't be able to use it because of the lap/shoulder restraint bars to keep you safely secured to the seat during the ride with many modes of concealed carry plus the inability to use it effectively while experiencing 3+ G forces of such attractions.

Florida has no duty to inform a LEO. I would inform if approached in an official capacity. I'd rather have the LEO know then get made and stare down the business end of a LEO's side arm. I inform by giving the LEO my CCW in addition to my State issued DL. Let them decide how to handle it. You also don't create a panic around you by having the word "gun" being said by you. The Florida CCW shall issue statute is almost 20 years old and like it or not, it works in Florida. Most rank and file LEOs in the more mature shall issue States acknowledge it works.

I purchased a metal case with keyed lock (packaging says "meets TSA/Airline firearm guidelines").

DO NOT use TSA approved locks on your firearms cases? I'm not sure what you mean?
Bags secured by TSA approved locks are accessible via a TSA master key so TSA agents can open the lock. In accordance to 49 CFR 1540.111 use of such locks is a violation of Federal law as any TSA agent has a key to get into your firearm case. Under 49 CFR 1540.111 only the passenger(s) who lawfully own the firearm(s) are to possess the key or combination to the firearm case(s). TSA probably won't cite or arrrest you for it, but you are opening yourself up for firearm theft. If TSA needs to get into your firearm case, Federal law States they have to obtain the key or combination from you and inspect the firearm case in your presence then return the key to you upon completion of their inspection of the contents of your firearm case.

I have traveled via air many times with firearms. I've flown in and out of the MCO (Orlando), PBI (West Palm) and TPA (Tampa) airports with unloaded declared firearms in my luggage. If TSA or their contractors need to get into my firearm case, they do it with me watching them inspect the contents. Use TSA approved locks on your luggage, use locks only you have the key or combination to of the firearm case(s) within your luggage after legally declaring them to your air carrier ticket agent and filling out the appropriate unloaded firearm declaration tag(s).

Last edited:
Got back home to Kansas on Tue. We had a great time. No problems with CCW at airport in KC or Orlando. They didn't check to see if pistol was unloaded, just had me sign a tag saying that it was and had me place the tag inside the case.
Didn't see any "No guns allowed" signs anyplace we went. I carried all week long without a second thought. You guys have a Great State! Thanks. :D

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back