Ever had this happen?

ecocks

A few states require you to notify a homeowner that you are carrying when you are about to enter his/her home. Anyone ever been refused or requested to disarm? Even if not in a state that reuires it have any of your friends (spouses. roomies, others) that know you carry had a problem with doing so in their home or property?

SC requires me to notify and so far I have to say no one has asked me to leave it in my vehicle. One reason all my friends know I carry is so I don't have to tell them every time I'm over. Some of them now have or in the process of getting their CWP. If anyone ever ask me to disarm, as I walk back to my vehicle I'll tell them to call me and leave.

Last edited:
I don't have to inform here in TN. However, most people, that I would go into their home, know and I'm armed and have no problem with it.

Do you have to inform in FL? I don't really go to a lot of "new" people's houses so it hasn't come up. If I didn't have to tell them, I probably wouldn't as they shouldn't ever see it. But if someone did and had a problem with it, I wouldn't have a problem putting it in the car and then most likely not go there anymore!

Duty to inform for lawful CCW in a private residence

IIRC, the only States that have a duty to inform and obtaining permission prior to entering a residence are AK (AS 11.61.220 (B)), AR (AC 5-73-306 (19)(D)), LA (Link Removed) and SC. All other States are fair game.

I didn't bother to look up the SC law since I can't CCW there anyway.

Last edited:
As stated, here in AR we have to have premission..i've never asked thus i've never been denied..also as stated above, I too, if denied, would walk back to the car/truck after saying, "see ya, call me" etc

i as Red Hat live in SC. that requires notification, all my friends know I carry and have never denied or said anything to me... I guess there true friends and enjoy my company, because as Red I would leave..........

Last edited:
I don't believe in MI we have to, was not told that in the ccw class. i did have a father dropping off his child a couple of years ago ask if i had any gun's in the house, kind of odd I taught, I said nope, today if i was asked that it would be a completely different conversation.

My dad knows that i carry, and he has asked me to take it off when i enter his home. It dosent bother me cause its my dad. As far as i know i dont have to inform anybody.

Anyone ever been refused or requested to disarm? Even if not in a state that reuires it have any of your friends (spouses. roomies, others) that know you carry had a problem with doing so in their home or property?

Yes, my wife! She is not "anti".... She has no problem with me having guns and shooting and even having my permit, but she does not want to have anything to do with them and does not want me to carry around the house.

She did at one time express an interest in learning to shoot, but everytime the subject comes up she doesn't have the time or is "just not up to it". I have resigned myself to doing what I can and letting the rest take care of itself. I have learned to "pick my battles".

No law to inform in my state. A good friend is a far left Pastor and I have had enough arguments on the subject with him that he knows I have a ccw. He told me never to carry in his home. Shortly after getting my ccw I did carry in his home, just to make the point that if it's hidden, they won't know. Antis are total idiots on that topic. I never told him, and I have not nor will I carry in his home in the future. We don't agree on much, but we have been friends for 50 years, and I don't hold that lightly.

Perhaps its just because I have a tight group of friends, but I don't frequent any persons home that are not like minded, and are armed just as I. Therefore I don't have to worry about asking permission.

Went to a couple of friends homes in NV. Both guys have two signs at their front door. The first is one that says "Please remove shoes before entering." and the second has no words, just a picture of a revolver with the circle and slash. I read this sign to read "No revolvers". Since I carry a Glock 23 and a Glock 27, the sign doesn't apply to me. Both guys know that I carry. I had a discussion with them one day about how the sign may send a bad message to would be burglars. Both guys understand what I was saying, but could not convince the wives otherwise. The basic policy is "don't ask, don't tell". I'm good at concealing my firearms. So far the wives haven't figured it out, and haven't asked me if I was carrying. If the day should come where the wives ask me to secure the firearms in my vehicle, I'll politely comply, and won't be visiting their homes anytime soon.

gf

Yes, my wife! She is not "anti".... She has no problem with me having guns and shooting and even having my permit, but she does not want to have anything to do with them and does not want me to carry around the house.

I think we would have to have a discussion about it being my house also. I will respect the wishes of others in their home but in my own I want to feel protected. My wife knows that I am armed 24-7 for her benefit as well as mine.

I had a friend of mine's wife ask me to leave it in the car many years ago...luckly he is no longer married to her. :) A lady I have recently started seeing knows I carry and doesn't care, had she...well I may not be seeing her.

Have to agree with PaulIcemanMc to tcotariu, it is your house also. People do break into houses...and on your person is the safest place for a firearm to be. However...I admit, you know your situation better than any of us.

As far as signs on doors...this is the sign on my door.

DeadlyForceSign.jpg

We all need signs like that one...did you make that up yourself or did you find it for sale at one of the local gun ranges?

We all need signs like that one...did you make that up yourself or did you find it for sale at one of the local gun ranges?

Made it myself after seeing a similar one for NC on wikipedia.

One for AR could refrence AR § 5-2-620 which says...

5-2-620. Use of force to defend persons and property within home.
(a) The right of an individual to defend himself or herself and the life of a person or property in the individual's home against harm, injury, or loss by a person unlawfully entering or attempting to enter or intrude into the home is reaffirmed as a fundamental right to be preserved and promoted as a public policy in this state.

(b) There is a legal presumption that any force or means used to accomplish a purpose described in subsection (a) of this section was exercised in a lawful and necessary manner, unless the presumption is overcome by clear and convincing evidence to the contrary.

(c) The public policy stated in subsection (a) of this section shall be strictly complied with by the court and an appropriate instruction of this public policy shall be given to a jury sitting in trial of criminal charges brought in connection with this public policy.

I have this sign and a smaller more portrait shape one in Microsoft Word format and will send it to anyone that wants it. Just send me a PM with your e-mail address. You can check here for a list and a link to each state's self-defense laws.

Thanks,Fallguy.That is some very good information...now I have a question for those in Texas.I'm not quite clear on this one:
"§ 9.06. CIVIL REMEDIES UNAFFECTED. The fact that
conduct is justified under this chapter does not abolish or impair any remedy for the conduct that is available in a civil suit."
Does this mean that if some idiot breaks into my house and tries to cause my family harm and I kill him/her/it,that,even though my use of deadly force is justified,his mook family can sue me ?

Brainchild the short answer is Yes. Anyone can sue anyone for anything. However according to TX Civil Practice & Remedies Code Link Removed if the shooting is ruled justified you are immune from any civil liability.

CIVIL PRACTICE & REMEDIES CODE

CHAPTER 83. USE OF DEADLY FORCE IN DEFENSE OF PERSON

§ 83.001. CIVIL IMMUNITY. A defendant who uses force or
deadly force that is justified under Chapter 9, Penal Code, is
immune from civil liability for personal injury or death that
results from the defendant's use of force or deadly force, as
applicable.

Added by Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 235, § 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Amended by:
Acts 2007, 80th Leg., R.S., Ch. 1, § 4, eff. September 1,

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back