Are gun belts really worth it?

DrDavidM

I have an Acker dress belt. It looks really good and functions well. So I would have to say "yes it's worth it". It was very reasonably priced at only about $35. It is reinforced to keep it from being extremely thick. What do you guys think? Are they generally worth the price?

I remember when I was getting my first CTAC Holster and was told I needed a good belt. I really didn't want to spend $100 on a belt as I've always just went with a cheap $20 belts. But I'm glad I paid the money and got one because it has been well worth it. I've tried carrying with a regular belt and they just aren't sturdy enough IMO.

There are a couple of off the shelf retail belts that will work well, but you have to really hunt for them. I would always recommend spending the extra $$$ and getting a quality gun belt.

If one is carrying a gun for a long period of time, especially a heavy gun, or while participating in activities such as running, climbing, etc... a good reinforced belt is a back-saver, and prevents pants sagging.

I've worn pistols for 24+hrs straight before while standing, walking, in vehicles, and sitting... and it's comforting to know that the gun stays exactly where I put it, and it's weight is evenly distributed.

I was originally under the opinion that they were overpriced and really not worth the extra money until after Kansas finally passed our concealed carry law and I started carrying everyday.

I bit the bullet and spent 75 bucks on a decent Kydex reinforced 1.5" leather gunbelt. It's become my everyday belt and is VERY comfortable. It doesn't get out of shape and sag under the weight of even my full size 1911.

Prior to this, I was using $11 to $20 Wally World leather belts that were supposed to be decent quality, but ripped apart under the extra strain of supporting my gun along with my pants.

No more cheap belts for me.

I've never carried without a 'gun belt'. I figured from all my pre-permit forum browsing that there must really be something to a dedicated carry belt and I ordered one at the same time I ordered my holster, and received them within a few days of each other.
I know my everyday belt won't do this:
Link Removed
So, yes, I definitely think they're worth it.

I've never carried without a 'gun belt'. I figured from all my pre-permit forum browsing that there must really be something to a dedicated carry belt and I ordered one at the same time I ordered my holster, and received them within a few days of each other.
Link Removed

That is proof enough for me.......

Muzz, I must have seen this question asked a million times and answered about two million.

That photo is the single best answer I've ever seen.

Joe

Regular belts just don't cut it. After ordering an Aker and a UBG belt, I can't imagine carrying without one of them (UBG preferred). It makes a world of difference.

Muzz, I must have seen this question asked a million times and answered about two million.

That photo is the single best answer I've ever seen.

Joe

I thought it was a pretty good illustration. I was messing with my carry gear one night and curiosity got the better of me - I wondered if, as well as it held things in upright and in place, if it would do it without me in it. Both those mags are fully loaded, and that belt is not as short as it should be :eek:

Its a standard cowhide Rafter S, BTW.
www.raftersgunleather.com/Belts.htm

Rafters has really nice looking stuff. I started to order a shark skin belt from them, but decided to go with an Acker. I then wanted a shark skin holster, but figured I would never use it anyway. I have heard nothing but good about them.

Link Removed

Now that's just cool! :D

I've been using a Wilderness 5 Stitch Instructor's Belt for about a month or so and thought it was as good as my leather gunbelt.

Last Sunday I needed to dress up a little so grabbed my Galco gunbelt, tucked in my VM-II and holstered my P-220. WOW! (I actually said that too!) It was a B - I - G difference! The Wilderness belt is very good but my leather gunbelt is much better. ;) Oh yeah... worth every penny!

Theres a place in Oklahoma City, called Looper leather and law enforcement supply, They make a really good leather belt with a kydex liner in it for $28.00bucks, $32.00 shipped to your door, Just google looper and you will find the site...............

I often wonder why people have an uber exspensive handgun and holster and then "scrimp" on the belt.

The belt is the foundation, much like the foundation of a house. I carry a 4" N-Frame Revolver daily when I'm not at work. I couldn't do this with a cheap flimsy belt, and get the level of concealment that I do.

So, in answer to your question, yes, gun belts are worth the extra money. When I order a custom holster I also order a custom belt.

Biker

I'm going to go slightly against the consensus here--It depends on the gun and holster. For a standard OWB holster, yes it makes a difference. For an XD subcompact in a Crossbreed IWB, not so much--I've carried it with a flimsy leather belt, a Wilderness 5 stitch, and a Galco. The Wilderness and Galco are a bit easier in the john, but I don't notice any difference any other time.

Since it may now be proven that a gunbelt is better...

Is the internal stiffener (Kydex or plastic) really necesary for the gunbelt to function as intended, or is the leather enough for the job?

I think it depends on the belt. Mine is not a whole lot thicker than a regular belt. Therefore, I think if it did not have the insert it would not be much better than a regular belt. Some are double thick leather horsehide. I think they would be plenty stiff without an insert.

I think the size/weight of weapon and other gear plays a big part too in deciding to get a thick leather belt. I carry a Stainless Steel P-220 most of the time with a spare magazine, a SureFire and a cellular all on my belt.

It reminds me of back when I was a LEO... my duty belt sure wasn't nylon I can tell ya! :D

Worth it. They hold up better under the weight of what you are carrying on your belt. I can really notice a difference when I am not wearing one. I have two Galco belts one Black, and the other Tan.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back