Traveling and stopping in Las Vegas. Help?!?

Viper Specialty

Dr. Exotic
Hi Guys,

I am in NY, and will have a NY CFP, as well as a UT and FL CFP. I am planning a trip next fall cross country, and one of the stops is in Las Vegas, NV. Other than NV, I have reciprocity for the entire trip with the states that I [will] have by then.

What are the laws regarding traveling through, and stopping in Las Vegas? If I am reading this correctly, I am simply not allowed to carry concealed, nor have the weapon on my person in the vehicle. Since it is not worth it for me to travel all the way across the country beforehand, just to get a NV CFP, I would be fine with simply locking up my weapon when in Vegas.

Am I correct in assuming that it would be legal for me to travel through NV with the weapon unloaded in my trunk, or loaded off my person, and then either open carry into my room where I will lock it up in the safe, or put it in my luggage unloaded, and do the same?

If you go to handgunlaw.us and click on the state of Nevada, they have Nevada gun law including carry in a car or RV.

Keith

When you get to Nevada, take your loaded handgun off your person and toss it under the seat, in the pocket of your car door, or in your glove compartment--you'll be legal.
The concerns about North Las Vegas and Boulder City are over; they have to conform to NV law.
Open Carry is also legal here.

Hi Guys,

I am in NY, and will have a NY CFP, as well as a UT and FL CFP. I am planning a trip next fall cross country, and one of the stops is in Las Vegas, NV. Other than NV, I have reciprocity for the entire trip with the states that I [will] have by then.

What are the laws regarding traveling through, and stopping in Las Vegas? If I am reading this correctly, I am simply not allowed to carry concealed, nor have the weapon on my person in the vehicle. Since it is not worth it for me to travel all the way across the country beforehand, just to get a NV CFP, I would be fine with simply locking up my weapon when in Vegas.

Am I correct in assuming that it would be legal for me to travel through NV with the weapon unloaded in my trunk, or loaded off my person, and then either open carry into my room where I will lock it up in the safe, or put it in my luggage unloaded, and do the same?

My understanding when I took the Nevada CFP class is it's legal to carry a handgun in your vehicle as long as it's not on your person. It can't be on you or in a backpack, but it can be in the glove compartment.

Check to make sure on this. I have a nonresident permit, so I can carry it anywhere within Nevada law. Your UT and FL are worthless there as you know. I have those permits, just like you do. Open carry in Nevada is legal because there is no law that states that it isn't. Be careful if you decide to go that route. While I stand for what the open carry people believe in, you are going to be met with resistance if you carry on the Las Vegas strip or downtown Reno.

I contacted Karen Fraley awhile back, at that time Reno's Deputy City Attorney and this is her response about open carry:

Firearms are regulated by the State of Nevada and local jurisdictions
may only regulate the unlawful discharge of a firearm within the City
limits. I am unaware of any state statute that would prohibit an
individual carrying a firearm in a holster openly displayed. There are,
however, state statutes prohibiting firearms in certain locations. You
may wish to refer to NRS for further.

Businesses can, of course, regulate whether firearms are permitted
within their businesses.

I think you can expect an officer to talk to you should one see you
walking down the street with a firearm in a holster. It is also highly
likely that citizens would call in to report an individual with a
firearm, causing a police response. Normally, those who wish to be
armed obtain a CCW permit and simply carry it concealed, which causes
much less concern on the part of citizens and officers.

Karen S. Fraley
Deputy City Attorney
Legal Advisor - Reno Police Department

I know that this is Reno, but Las Vegas is tougher. The Attorney General is not too far from Reno and she share the same attitude. She is not a gun friendly person.

Be careful whatever you decide!

GOOD LUCK!!

When you get to Nevada, take your loaded handgun off your person and toss it under the seat, in the pocket of your car door, or in your glove compartment--you'll be legal.
The concerns about North Las Vegas and Boulder City are over; they have to conform to NV law.
Open Carry is also legal here.

NDS is right. The NRS have changed and North Las Vegas and Boulder City now have to conform with the statutes mandated for the entire state.

I never said anything about carrying in the vehicle, I said off my person or in the trunk.

Hate to interject, but you are allowed to carry a loaded handgun in your vehicle if it is not your person. You can keep it in your glove compartment. You can't keep it in a backpack or fanny pack, however.

Check the Nevada laws to make sure but that's what I was taught. Watch out for Clark County and North Las Vegas. They do not go by the current laws the state mandates. Be careful!

Be safe!

NDS is right. The NRS have changed and North Las Vegas and Boulder City now have to conform with the statutes mandated for the entire state.

Really?

I want to see that. Some of my Nevada CFP holder buddies have told me that they have had problems in that area. They are nonresident permit holders like I am.

I don't go to that area very often. I have family in Northern Nevada, so that's where I spend my time. I can't verify their experiences.

Really?

I want to see that. Some of my Nevada CFP holder buddies have told me that they have had problems in that area. They are nonresident permit holders like I am.

I don't go to that area very often. I have family in Northern Nevada, so that's where I spend my time. I can't verify their experiences.

Read it for yourself here: Nevada Revised Statute (NRS) 202.253; Weapons, Dangerous Weapons and Firearms and NRS: CHAPTER 202 - CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETYNRS: CHAPTER 202 - CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC HEALTH AND SAFETY

In Nevada, county, town, and city law can no longer supersede Nevada law. The towns people of Pahrump recently challenged our new town manager on this (in 2009) and we prevailed. The manager tried to implement a no-firearms zone in other parts of the town and his legal council forced the issue to be taken off the meeting agenda as it would have gone against state law.

See the previous posts discussed last year with all the comments where we hashed this out. Basically it comes down to this: in 2007 and 2008 the laws were changed. The entire state follows the same firearms laws. North Las Vegas and Boulder City have to allow the same cc and oc as the rest of the state. However, peace officers and bench legislators haven't yet gotten the word.

As you know, the Nevada Revised Statutes concerning firearms law were recently amended in the 74th Legislative Session, effective October 1, 2007.

Among the changes were NRS 244.364, 268.418, and 269.222, which were amended to state:

Except as otherwise provided by specific statute, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada, and no county, city nor town may infringe upon those rights and powers.

Further, NRS 244.364, 268.418, and 269.222 state:

The governing body of a county/city/town may proscribe by ordinance or regulation the unsafe discharge of firearms. If the governing body of a city in a county whose population is 400,000 or more has required by ordinance or regulation adopted before June 13, 1989, the registration of a firearm capable of being concealed, the governing body shall amend such an ordinance or regulation to require: (a) A period of at least 60 days of residency in the city before registration of such a firearm is required. (b) A period of at least 72 hours for the registration of a pistol by a resident of the city upon transfer of title to the pistol to the resident by purchase, gift or any other transfer.

Lastly, Section 5 of Chapter 308, Statutes of Nevada 1989, at page 653, was amended to read as follows:

The provisions of this act, as amended on October 1, 2007, apply to ordinances or regulations adopted before, on or after June 13, 1989.

A board of county commissioners, governing body of a city and town board in a county whose population is 400,000 or more shall amend any ordinance or regulation adopted by that body before June 13, 1989, that does not conform with the provisions of NRS 244.364, as amended by section 1 of this act, NRS 268.418, as amended by section 2 of this act or NRS 269.222, as amended by section 3 of this act, as applicable, by January 1, 2008. Any ordinance or regulation that does not comply with the applicable provision by January 1, 2008, shall be deemed to conform with that provision by operation of law.

Clearly, handgun registration in Clark County was grandfathered, if amended to allow residents 72 hours and non residents 60 days in which to register.

In view of the phrase “… apply to ordinances or regulations adopted before, on or after June 13, 1989,” it is equally clear the law does not grandfather any other county/city ordinances; indeed, the Legislature reserves for itself such rights and powers as are necessary to regulate the transfer, sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transportation, registration and licensing of firearms and ammunition in Nevada.

We have completed a review of Las Vegas and North Las Vegas municipal codes and Clark County code (at Las Vegas Municipal Code, North Las Vegas Municipal Code and Clark County Code) and note the required changes are not reflected therein. Clearly, virtually all of the city/county firearms related ordinances (as posted at the above noted links) are now null, void and unenforceable.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back