New bill in maryland

IWLAFART

I just received an e-mail from the VCDL (Virginia Civil Defense League) vcdl.org stating that a bill was introduced permitting citizens from Va., Pa., and Del. to conceal carry in Maryland. While I believe that this is a long shot of passing I am disappointed the WV a bordering state was not included. :mad:

It should be across the nation like a drivers license, it is what our
founding fathers wanted as stated in our constitution. As well as
"the union", shall have the right, illinois and Wisconsin violate our
rights within the constitution and ammendments! I support a free
nation, and by the looks of it we need to take it back!

I just received an e-mail from the VCDL (Virginia Civil Defense League) vcdl.org stating that a bill was introduced permitting citizens from Va., Pa., and Del. to conceal carry in Maryland. While I believe that this is a long shot of passing I am disappointed the WV a bordering state was not included. :mad:
WOW, definitely didn't see that coming.
Is there any other reference you can link to, bill # etc.? It would also seem to follow that there would be some sort of restructuring of the system for obtaining MD permits.

Maryland introduced this bill? Really? I hope that bill also will change Maryland into a shall issue state as well, but I'm not going to get my hopes up.

Well, after a little digging around I found the bill: MD HB 52

Short, sweet and to the point at just over 3 pages long. The bill only refers to recognition of PA, DE, and VA permits, but does not change anything about the ability to obtain a MD permit (i.e. may issue to shall issue.)

One other thing it seems to do is include a list of 45 various "assault weapons" as legitimate carry weapons. I find it hard to believe that that is what it actually does, but I can think of no other reason to include such language. Guess that is why I'm not a lawyer.

BTW, I have found discussion on other forums (I stray from time to time :biggrin:) stating that the omission of WV from the bill was an oversight, and that the bill's sponsor plans to add WV in an amendment.

I have a hard time believing this bill stands a chance....given the fact even Maryland residents have a hard enough time getting CWP's. Now they're going to allow non-residents to CCW?

I figure it won't make it.

But should it happen it does not say anything about resident or non-resident. Pennsylvania is a very easy state to get a non-resident permit in if you have a permit in any other state, so then Maryland could be added to your list by combination. That would mean with my Florida permit and my Pennsylvania permit I could travel from Florida to Pennsylvania without having to disarm?!

But should it happen it does not say anything about resident or non-resident. Pennsylvania is a very easy state to get a non-resident permit in if you have a permit in any other state, so then Maryland could be added to your list by combination. That would mean with my Florida permit and my Pennsylvania permit I could travel from Florida to Pennsylvania without having to disarm?!

My thoughts exactly! I’m not thinking it has any chance of passing either, but if it did pass I’m guessing we would see a massive run on PA non-res permits from MD residents. :laugh:

My thoughts exactly! I’m not thinking it has any chance of passing either, but if it did pass I’m guessing we would see a massive run on PA non-res permits from MD residents. :laugh:
MD residents would have to get their permits from VA. PA only issues NR licenses to those who hold a permit from their home state. Now, anyone else who wants to carry in MD and does already have a permit in their home state would opt for the PA license since it is far cheaper and easier to obtain than a VA permit.

THat is something that would make it very nice if it passes but check on when you are passing through S Carolina. I have a Pa. res permitt and Fl non res. and am pretty sure they are not recognized in S Carolina but I will recheck.

I have a hard time believing this bill stands a chance....given the fact even Maryland residents have a hard enough time getting CWP's. Now they're going to allow non-residents to CCW?

Incrementally, like the progressives continually erode our rights! If they pass this and everyone in Maryland that cares should support it because it would be a foot in the door for more reasonable CCP laws in that state. As in "hey outsiders can carry, how about us residents!"

THat is something that would make it very nice if it passes but check on when you are passing through S Carolina. I have a Pa. res permitt and Fl non res. and am pretty sure they are not recognized in S Carolina but I will recheck.
SC does honor FL permits, but only for FL residents. However, you may keep your firearm in the console or glove box while in SC.

utimmer43>> You are correct! Thank you. To get a resident permit is South Carolina you don't have to live there. All you have to do is own a piece of property there.

I can remember Delegate Kevin Kelly introducing Shall Issue bills as far back as 1993.

Snowball's chance, but ya gotta step up to bat.

Hb 52

Hello everyone!

I am Delegate Mike Smigiel's Chief of Staff...and a Second Amendment Sister ;-)

We need all of your support to make this bill happen. The Delegate needs folks to testify in person or in writing, especially those from Maryland but also from anyone that has a stake in this.

Written testimony can be emailed (be sure to include your city, state and name) to Delegate Smigiel's office at [email protected] I will then copy it for each member of the Judiciary Committee and submit it for you.

If I can answer any questions for you, please don't hesitate to call the office at 410-841-3555 or email us at the above address. We will do our best to get you the answers as fast as possible.

Remember the hearing is Tuesday.

OH! And Delegate Smigiel is amending in WVA...it was an oversight when we asked them to draft the bill but we are fixing that PDQ.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back