LEO Contact in Kansas City

BARNDOUGH

Last Thursday as I was out running some errands, I had just entered the freeway and hit the gas to get into traffic. The highway was busy and moving rapidly. Just as I passed the next exit, there he was, sitting on the side of the road "taking pictures". On came the bubble gum machine and I was nailed doing 76 mph in a 55 zone.

I pulled as far to the right of the shoulder as was possible to give the officer room to approach the car, turned the 4 ways on and placed my hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel.

When the officer arrived he asked for DL and Insurance.

Then as courtesy demands, I advised the officer that I have a CCW permit and that I was armed and told him where my gun was located. I asked him how he would like me to proceed. He said he was cool and asked me what I was carrying.

He then went back to his car and a few minutes later he came back with the ticket. But this is when it became good. He told me that I had handled advising him of my weapon in an excellent manner and that instead of issuing a ticket for 76 in a 55 he was only going to issue a ticket for going 60 in a 55.

Holding a CCW permit saved my bacon. Because I was cited for only going 5 mph over the limit, it was not a moving violation and no points will be accessed on my DL.

Last edited:
Very nicely handled on both ends, the best is once in a blue moon encounter where he asks to hold your piece and after examination hands you his to see what you think, but I think that only happens in the sticks.:rolleyes:

Always good to hear

I can still remember getting pulled over with my friend driving his car in High School. Only to find that my friend stashed his Desert Eagle in the Trunk and forgetting allowed the officer a full car search. Ha..Boy I think the look on my face was more classic than the officers when he opened the trunk. But like any good back country officer, he understood that Gun does not equal bad and that my friend was at least storing it properly. "He even asked if he could take it out to the range sometime". Its always good to see similar instances with CCW pull overs. Although I do not condone breaking the law, I think the majority of officers out there realize we are on their side and are "THE GOOD GUYS". Acting cool headed and making the officer feel safe goes a long way to getting a lesser punishment You handled the pull over well. I had not really put thought into the emergency flashers, makes sense though. Always something to remember when you run across the occasional jerk officer. They get phased out pretty quick, and what remains are truly our finest. Hats off to another good incident.

that's the way it should be in every stop BUT, i was in my county sherrif's office talking to a deputy, a city officer, and then a state trooper. The first two were cool to all aspects of the previous stop just talked about. The state trooper not so nice. He told me very strongly that once he found out about the weapon he would draw his weapon upon you then seperate you from the weapon until he was done. First thought in my mind was my wife, my 8 & 6 year old daughters in the vehicle that i've taught the police officers are the good guys and here to help them is pointing their weapon at me! Makes you think. I didn't like this guy much as he was too cocky and the other officers didn't think much of it either.

Always an

a$$6013 out there somewhere. You ran into one (thankfully at the station). Maybe he will mature or the other two will apply a little peer pressure to him. You can only hope.

Speaking personally, if I ever get a gun pulled and pointed at me without a damned good reason (like a lot more than I volunteered my license to them), there's gonna be a complaint letter in someone's file folder - guarranteed.

Last edited:
The way you informed him was perfect. I'm an LEO and I love seeing other 'good guys' carrying. Usually I like to talk shop if the person has time or seems friendly but probably not on the side of the freeway like in this case. Keep carryin!

Last Thursday as I was out running some errands, I had just entered the freeway and hit the gas to get into traffic. The highway was busy and moving rapidly. Just as I passed the next exit, there he was, sitting on the side of the road "taking pictures". On came the bubble gum machine and I was nailed doing 76 mph in a 55 zone.

I pulled as far to the right of the shoulder as was possible to give the officer room to approach the car, turned the 4 ways on and placed my hands at 10 and 2 on the wheel.

Then as courtesy demands, I advised the officer that I have a CCW permit and that I was armed and told him where my gun was located. I asked him how he would like me to proceed. He said he was cool and asked me what I was carrying.

He then went back to his car and a few minutes later he came back with the ticket. But this is when it became good. He told me that I had handled advising him of my weapon in an excellent manner and that instead of issuing a ticket for 76 in a 55 he was only going to issue a ticket for going 60 in a 55.

Holding a CCW permit saved my bacon. Because I was cited for only going 5 mph over the limit, it was not a moving violation and no points will be accessed on my DL.

Interesting, but why should a reduction in a traffic fine have anything to do with your legal carry conceal status?
I like favors and breaks like anybody else but realize that nothing is ever free. What you did was bolster the LEO's unwarranted and unappointed self importance.
He's a People's servant, remember? His authority is limited, remember? He is sworn to the U.S. Constitution, remember? What makes us want to reduce our inalienable God-given status, voluntarily and unnecessarily, to a tax payer-funded employee? What makes us cajole an employee of the government when the law doesn't require it? Unless Kansas or Missouri requires preemptive declaration that your're legally packin' on a traffic stop, why not consider the alternative - stay quite - discuss only the traffic issue.
We're hindered enough with regulations when compared to the awesome liberty that "Old Document" gives us. We lose it by trying to be nice - nice wasn't a consideration during the 1787 Constitutional Convention. I say all this with respect to you. Thank you.

Is liberty so cheaply valued?

Then as courtesy demands, I advised the officer that I have a CCW permit and that I was armed and told him where my gun was located.

Sorry, but I must disagree. First, courtesy demands no such thing. I am unsure whether you were in KC Kansas or Missouri, but neither state requires notification. If you are not directed to exit the vehicle, good sense should tell you NOT to discuss your carrying with the officer. If you are legally carrying, and have no intention of using that firearm on said officer, then little good can come of you bringing it up.

If you want to be courteous, then make a contribution to the police widows and orphans fund. Don't do it by giving up the liberties and freedoms that so many fought, bled, and died in order for you to enjoy. Besides, for every officer who cuts you slack on the ticket, there are five who would rather spread eagle you on the side of the highway to disarm you "for everyone's safety".

Boomboy007:291225 said:
Then as courtesy demands, I advised the officer that I have a CCW permit and that I was armed and told him where my gun was located.

Sorry, but I must disagree. First, courtesy demands no such thing. I am unsure whether you were in KC Kansas or Missouri, but neither state requires notification. If you are not directed to exit the vehicle, good sense should tell you NOT to discuss your carrying with the officer. If you are legally carrying, and have no intention of using that firearm on said officer, then little good can come of you bringing it up.

If you want to be courteous, then make a contribution to the police widows and orphans fund. Don't do it by giving up the liberties and freedoms that so many fought, bled, and died in order for you to enjoy. Besides, for every officer who cuts you slack on the ticket, there are five who would rather spread eagle you on the side of the highway to disarm you "for everyone's safety".

Hey boom, threads over two years old, not sure if you are going to get a response.

The way you informed him was perfect. I'm an LEO and I love seeing other 'good guys' carrying. Usually I like to talk shop if the person has time or seems friendly but probably not on the side of the freeway like in this case. Keep carryin!
You're an LEO and responded to this preemptive CC notification with kudos. How differently will you Constitutionally respond to a traffic stop issue and discover indirectly that the driver is legally packing? Why do you, as an LEO, want more information into the privacy and property of a U.S. citizen, pertaining to more than the traffic issue to which he is detained?

Long story short...I was saved a $581 (I was dead wrong) ticket for announcing to the LEO that I was carrying even though I was not legally obligated to do so. He was very appreciative of this gesture, to say the least

I do the same. When I was pulled over a few months ago by the state police for speeding I stated the following:
Officer: License, registration and proof of insurance please.
Me: (My hands are at the 10 and 2). For your safety and mine officer before I reach into my pocket for my wallet I want to let you know I am carrying a concealed weapon and I do have a valid state concealed license.
Officer: Where is the weapon?
Me: it is on my right hip in a holster.
Officer: Ok, can I have your license, proof of insurance and registration please?
Me: (I gave him what he asked for and he returned to his patrol car.)
The officer returns in 3 minutes
Officer: I noticed you tag shows differently on the computer and that normally means you are a law enforcement officer and he asked me why.
Me: I am no longer a LEO, I am medically retired for a back injury.
Officer: I clocked you going 19 over the posted speed limit.
Me: I am sorry and there is no excuse for going that fast.
Officer: I am going to only give you a citation for not having a insurance card (he had it in his hand) I am giving you a break.
Me: thank you.

I dodged a bullet with that one! ( I have not had a ticket in 17 years)

Long story short...I was saved a $581 (I was dead wrong) ticket for announcing to the LEO that I was carrying even though I was not legally obligated to do so. He was very appreciative of this gesture, to say the least

What price freedom?

Apparently, $581. :frown:

Interesting, but why should a reduction in a traffic fine have anything to do with your legal carry conceal status?
I like favors and breaks like anybody else but realize that nothing is ever free. What you did was bolster the LEO's unwarranted and unappointed self importance.
He's a People's servant, remember? His authority is limited, remember? He is sworn to the U.S. Constitution, remember? What makes us want to reduce our inalienable God-given status, voluntarily and unnecessarily, to a tax payer-funded employee? What makes us cajole an employee of the government when the law doesn't require it? Unless Kansas or Missouri requires preemptive declaration that your're legally packin' on a traffic stop, why not consider the alternative - stay quite - discuss only the traffic issue.
We're hindered enough with regulations when compared to the awesome liberty that "Old Document" gives us. We lose it by trying to be nice - nice wasn't a consideration during the 1787 Constitutional Convention. I say all this with respect to you. Thank you.

My thoughts exactly.

That reminds of a story told by a trooper friend of mine. He cut a guy a break and wrote him for 10 under. The guy took the ticket to court and stated that he had not been going the speed shown on the ticket, he had been going 10 mph faster. The judge agreed that the ticket was not accurate and threw it out!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back