Advice on Best Concealed Carry Handgun

cheap smith&wesson lol the only cheap smith *wessons are the sigmas. i have owned 3 j frame revolvers, i still have a 637 which i will use as a bug. U cant get more reliable than a revolver, thier only limitation is the amount of ammo they can carry.

I have a Glock 23 that I love to shoot but haven't carried it yet (waiting for cooler weather and a light weight jacket to conceal better), but since I got my CCW in July, been carrying a Ruger LCP. Fits right nice in your front pocket in one of Uncle Mike's pocket holsters. I believe it would be a real trick to fire from the pocket as it has a very deep and hard trigger pull, but that does make it safer to carry.

Just got my CC permit. Any advice from you folks on your recommendations on an ideal carrying pistol? I was thinking about a .357 or .38 SPL Airweight revolver or maybe a small Glock. Thoughts?

Thank you,

jonathan

I have both 40 cal. Glock 27 and S&W 442 +P 38 Spl. Love them both.

There is no rule for this. Shoot many, choose one. It's all a matter of feel. Should it be a Semi-Auto, Revolver? It's not a show piece or a conversation starter, it's a tool. As mentioned in above posts, some ranges will rent firearms. Keep the targets you shoot with dates and notes on the firearm type and ammo used and your comments on the feel while using. Choose the one that works for you. Don't pick one that looks cool but kicks too hard when fired and makes the follow up shot difficult. Choose the one that feels best in your hand and allows you to shoot well 1st. Once that's taken care of choose a holster that works for you. Make sure it’s easy to draw the chosen weapon if and when needed and feels comfortable when you wear it... Then once you get one the fun starts… G.A.S
(Gun Acquisition Syndrome)… Oh Yea… Gotta have more…:yes4:

Just got my CC permit. Any advice from you folks on your recommendations on an ideal carrying pistol? I was thinking about a .357 or .38 SPL Airweight revolver or maybe a small Glock. Thoughts?

Thank you,

jonathan

I like the Glock 27 and the S&W 442

i am not a big person 5'5'' 170lb. i can easly conceal a Glock 26 with an IWB holster i sometimes forget its even there i have fallen asleep with it on watching tv still tring to figer out how to conceal my Glock 21SF any idias

I bought a glock 19 and love it. Over 700 rounds with no failures, but it dug into my side when I decided to try and carry it at the 4 o'clock position. Just bought a keltec 9 mm after reading as many reviews as i could find on the gun. I only have 57 rounds thru it so far with no problems. I carry it all the time now because it is so small and concealable. At the range I believe it actually aquires the target quicker between shots than the glock. I cant explain that, but it seems to be true.

Glock 19

Iv'e carryed a glock 19 for several years with an in the waist holster. The biggest part is finding the right holster with the right cant that feels good and conceals well. Also a good heavy belt makes a big difference and holds things where they belong. I am new to the site as I just joined last night. So far I have read a lot of good info from a lot of guys and gals that have been there and done that. I know i will get a lot of valuable info that is priceless in the real world. To get back to the subject at hand take your time and buy the one that works the best for you as your life may depend on it. Just my 2 cents worth.
99 Stroker

For me it is S&W 642 or 637 for pocket carry and Glock 23 or S&W 640 for belt carry. I carry everyday and one of these will be on me at all times. Which one depends on the clothing I wear that day.

General help for new CCW holder

I will soon be a new and casual owner of a semi auto or revolver. I have 2 questions I hope I can get some help with. Is a semi auto better or a revolver better for me? I am most concerned with keeping a magazine full so long that 1) the ammo goes stale, if this is possible, and 2) will this practice make the spring lose strength? I know one answer will be to shoot a lot but I just do not have the opportunity to do this so I need these questions answered so I can make the best decision about which firearm to buy. Thank you.

I have a S&W 340PD, hammerless 5 shot revolver chambered for .357 magnum. I always shoot .38spcl with it at the range and carry it with .357. Here's why.....if you have to use it to defend yourself, adrenaline will take over and you probably won't notice the" bite" or recoil anyway. The other thing you can count on with a revolver is that when you pull that trigger (full cycle), it will go bang. The other advantage of a hammerless revolver is that you can shoot it from within a coat pocket and it will fire and it will not jam....unlike a semi auto that depends on the cycle of its slide to fire a round. Something to consider. As you struggle with the myriad of holster choices, as we all do, take a look at Smartcarry SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters I use mine all the time when Summer rolls around. Best of luck!

This is a pet peev of mine. No offence surfcc. I keep seeing the same words in different posts. ("shoot it from within a coat pocket") This brings up the image of Bogart in the movie casablanca shooting the nazi who won't get off the telephone. Does one carry a pistol in the pocket without a holster? Then there is loose change, and pocket lint to content with. I always carry in a holster. Strapped on my belt, or gloved in a pocket holster.

Forget about the spring compression worries. That is a myth. As for your ammo being to old, that is a matter of choice how often you want to replace it with new. Some ammo from WWII works just fine, but for CCW i would change it every 6 nonths to a year just to make yourself feel better. If your firearm gets really wet, again change it and use the removed ammo at at the range. No sense taking chances with your carry weapon.

I will soon be a new and casual owner of a semi auto or revolver. I have 2 questions I hope I can get some help with. Is a semi auto better or a revolver better for me? I am most concerned with keeping a magazine full so long that 1) the ammo goes stale, if this is possible, and 2) will this practice make the spring lose strength? I know one answer will be to shoot a lot but I just do not have the opportunity to do this so I need these questions answered so I can make the best decision about which firearm to buy. Thank you.

The part i want to comment on is about the opportunity to shoot often enough. You need to shoot frequently enough to know your gun of choice and how it opperates, its nuances, its reliability, its recoil. You dont want to go the big dance with your safety on, and that could happen if you dont practice. Think out different senarios and how you will react if you have to. Practice drawing with your holster of choice and get that safety off before you are required to take action. You are more dangerous going out with a weapon with out practice and training than you are un armed.

Hey wjh2657: You and others on various posts talk about the 642 as your pocket carry. I have a 642 and maybe it is because I do not like any bulkiness or weight around my waist or in my pockets or anywhere on my pants, I have difficulty appreciating how you can walk around with that firearm in your pocket; I can understand OWB or belt. Don't you find it, as a pocket carry, a little cumbersome? I have a kel tec 380 that is as small as can be and as light as can be and is about the only thing other than a wallet and a tissue that goes in my pocket(s). Interested in your comment(s).

Hey wjh2657: You and others on various posts talk about the 642 as your pocket carry. I have a 642 and maybe it is because I do not like any bulkiness or weight around my waist or in my pockets or anywhere on my pants, I have difficulty appreciating how you can walk around with that firearm in your pocket; I can understand OWB or belt. Don't you find it, as a pocket carry, a little cumbersome? I have a kel tec 380 that is as small as can be and as light as can be and is about the only thing other than a wallet and a tissue that goes in my pocket(s). Interested in your comment(s).

"Is that a gun in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?"-Mae West.

I've posted my opinions on this on several boards, so I figured, why not this one.....

This is strictly my opinion, and has worked in many years of firearms training, and for men and ladies alike.

Buy a handgun just like you would buy a pair of shoes. If Ol' Joe over here says he likes Charlie China tennis shoes, and you're looking for a new pair of shoes, do you run out and buy Joe's pick, just because HE likes 'em? Probably not. If a new shooter is asking what to buy for a carry gun, it doesn't matter what works for me, or you, or anyone else. I suggest telling that new shooter to go to as many gun shops, and/or gun shows, and handle all the guns they can get hold of. Just like they would try on shoes. Before long they'll be able to make a list of guns that feel ok, pretty good, real good, and "that really feels great in my hands". The last two are the ones to pursue, and here's why I say that....

If a given handgun doesn't feel "right" in your hands, you'll not shoot it enough to become proficient with it, because it's not comfortable, and you won't like shooting it. If you're not gonna become proficient with it, save your money, and buy a ball bat to carry. With proper fundamentals, you can learn to shoot almost any handgun. Very few folks can re-train their hands to make just any handgun feel comfortable.

The last suggestion.........proper shooting techinques, practiced slowly, but proficiently, will breed speed. Do it slowly, and do it the right way, every time.......If you practice speed first, and introduce less efficient techniques into your training, you'll have to do it all over again to get it right.

By the way..... anyone who introduces a new shooter to our pastime by having them start with a large-caliber handgun, makes a very poor decision. Yes, some folks do ok starting out with large calibers, but the vast majority will not continue to shoot if their very 1st experience is with a large caliber handgun.

Again, just my ramblings.... but they work for me...

Shoot Safely....

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back