Need AR 15 mag pouch

KimberPB

I just signed up for a carbine class on the 29th of this month. It looks like a great class and I can not wait to take it. I was told I'd also need a chest rig or mag pouch to hold my extra mags. So I thought I'd see if any of you guys have any equipment you recommend. I looked at Comp-Tac's single mag pouch and a few chest rigs. I know the chest rig my be a bit over kill for this class but may come in handy if I take any advanced carbine classes. So does anyone have a setup they really like?

Blackhawk has some decent vests and pouches . also their tactical pants hvae elastic in the leg pockets to hold firmly at the ready 2 mags per leg. i think they are running their trade up your old tactical pants for half price on theirs. I had 2 pair that developed holes in them and they replaced them under warranty 9 months later. they do stand behind their products i must say.

How much are you willing to spend ??

I think you'll find most students will have chest rigs/MOLLE type kit for these course, unless it's newbies to the AR carbine platform.

I would take a look at Viking Tactics chest rigs. $149 and up depending on how many mags are specified for the course. If you want a dump pouch etc. There is also a need for first aid kit pouch, maybe some pistol mag pouches etc.

HERE: Link Removed

How much are you willing to spend ??

I think you'll find most students will have chest rigs/MOLLE type kit for these course, unless it's newbies to the AR carbine platform.

I would take a look at Viking Tactics chest rigs. $149 and up depending on how many mags are specified for the course. If you want a dump pouch etc. There is also a need for first aid kit pouch, maybe some pistol mag pouches etc.

HERE: Link Removed

Thanks for the Info Ropadope. I've looked at the MOLLE style rigs and they are nice. I did end up getting a Blackhawk chest rig a few months back that has 4 double pouches and two pistol mag pouches. It's a nice setup and allows me to carry a ton of ammo. I also recently picked up a Military LBV with 4 single pouches, two pistol mag pouches, and a few other pouches. This one does not hold as many mags but has more storage for other stuff and alot more comfortable.

The bad news is both the instructors that I had been going to for pistol and carbine classes have shutdown or moved out of state.

I just signed up for a carbine class on the 29th of this month. It looks like a great class and I can not wait to take it. I was told I'd also need a chest rig or mag pouch to hold my extra mags. So I thought I'd see if any of you guys have any equipment you recommend. I looked at Comp-Tac's single mag pouch and a few chest rigs. I know the chest rig my be a bit over kill for this class but may come in handy if I take any advanced carbine classes. So does anyone have a setup they really like?

I prefer a 'Dump Pouch' with magpul facing 'Up' on loaded mags, Empties stuffed in the pouch with follower facing up.
Dump Pouches were for SAW operations, and they work MUCH BETTER than single pouches or the usual military 3 mag pouches.
They are usually 6 mag pouches...

Link Removed

Trying to fish out a single mag wedged in a military pouch is a pain in the butt, VERY SLOW.
5 mags in a six mag pouch is a LOT faster,
And the mag pull on the bottom of the mag facing up makes changes MUCH faster...

Until Magpul came around, we used to put a shoe lace through the floor plate of the mag to form a loop to pull the mags out in a hurry.
REALLY decreased the 'Fish Around & Yank' time required to get the mags out of those old military 3 mag pouches.
----------------------------------------------------------

Another way to do things is to use a vest with Velcro on the mags, locate and rip off, stick them on the Velcro strip anywhere on the vest it's handy, makes for a VERY quick location and mag change.

Thanks AR Hammer. I actually picked up a LBV. Along with the 4 pouches on the front it has a pouch like what you mentioned on the left side. Only difference is this one hold 3 mags not 6. The vest feels great and for most classes I can just use the 3 mag pouch and have plenty of ammo.

Since this is training, you might want to take time to put the mags back in the pouches instead of dropping them.
Dropping on hard surfaces will do nasty things to mag lips.

I always put my mags in with the butt up on loaded mags because I used a shoe lace though the floor plate to get them out of the mag pouch faster.
Mag Pul makes a little gadget that fits on the bottoms of the mags that also protects the mag when it's dropped.

Fired mags always went in the pouches with feed lips 'Up' so I knew which ones had been fired.

Take EVERY opportunity to change to a fully loaded mag when on the shooting range.
Guys waste time and effort waiting until the mag they are shooting is empty,
And when you do that, you have to charge the rifle or unlock the bolt and that takes time no matter what, and leaving a round in the chamber and just swapping to a fresh mag will save a BUNCH of time, especially when done in a lull between targets.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back