Cz-52

Ryan H

Anyone have one? I just put one on layaway to be picked up hopefully the week after next. The idea of a super cheap, hot-shooting plinker is really appealing to me, so I laid some cash down for one. Gonna order a spam can of Tokarev tomorrow.

Well, I plan on picking this up at the end of the week. I'll be ordering a bulk tin of ammo for it soon, but buying a box of 50 new rounds just to try it out. Its funny to think that such a cheap gun/ammo beats the 5.7x28 in penetration capability... probably not accuracy though or capacity for sure. lol

Will do. If you want a quality 7.62x25, you're pretty much left to the CZ. The TT-33 is smaller, lighter, and slimmer however it is not as accurate, and the looks are completely ruined by the addition of the safety for importation. Century really hacked them up during the install (go figure, they hack everything up...).

Will do. If you want a quality 7.62x25, you're pretty much left to the CZ. The TT-33 is smaller, lighter, and slimmer however it is not as accurate, and the looks are completely ruined by the addition of the safety for importation. Century really hacked them up during the install (go figure, they hack everything up...).

Ryan H., I totally disagree that the CZ-52 is more accurate than the Tokarev TT-33.
I've got a couple CZ-52s and a couple Romanian/Polish Tokarevs.
Using the same7.62x25 ammo I can out shoot the CZ-52s every time.

Even with the Tokarev being smaller and lighter, you'd expect more recoil, but I feel more from the CZ-52.

That being said the CZ-52 is definitely a better built weapon.
And totally agreed the crappy CIA safeties on the Tokarev can be an amazing pain.

Well, we'll see about the accuracy. The way the locking mechanism works is just better built IMO. I plan on dovetailing the slide and installing a set of Bo-Mar style adjustable sights. I have a machinist here locally that will do the work for $80 so then we can really see exactly how accurate these guns are. :)

The guy at the shop I bought mine from has several of both, his CZ52 has the same modification done. He and his son used to shoot gongs at 50 yards with the 52, and the 33 was never capable of doing it despite having fairly good sights. For something to play with and modify, I'm sure either is a good bet, but the 52 is just obviously more durable and the lockup is very solid.

DSC_0732.jpg

Initial impression is "Damn, that really is as loud as they say!"

Little felt recoil, very easy on the hands. Was able to plink cans at 15 yards, we'll see how it does on paper next week. Cleaning the corrosive ammo is super fun (not)!

Well, we'll see about the accuracy. The way the locking mechanism works is just better built IMO. I plan on dovetailing the slide and installing a set of Bo-Mar style adjustable sights. I have a machinist here locally that will do the work for $80 so then we can really see exactly how accurate these guns are. :)

The guy at the shop I bought mine from has several of both, his CZ52 has the same modification done. He and his son used to shoot gongs at 50 yards with the 52, and the 33 was never capable of doing it despite having fairly good sights. For something to play with and modify, I'm sure either is a good bet, but the 52 is just obviously more durable and the lockup is very solid.

Ryan,

When you get your new sights, would you please post :biggrin:

Don't get me wrong I really like my CZ-52s otherwise I wouldn't have gotten a couple of them. But the sights aren't that great. Anything outside of 20 yards, I start diverting outside of a paper plate and operator error is a big factor. But they are fairly used weapons and maybe a new barrel, spring would help but the sights would be my best bet!:yu:

melloyello,

I have found at 25 yards I make a fist size group, limiting factor being the sights. This is at an indoor range, and I haven't had my glasses or contacts in 2 years now. My eyesight is very very poor when it comes to focusing far out. Luckily, my company insurance kicks in on the 1st and I'll be making an eye appointment finally! You are definitely right on about the sights though- they suck for any long range work!

On the other hand, a buddy and I did a small "penetration" test today using old motorcycle batteries. Shooting them front-faced, 9mm .40 and .45 all stuck right in. The 7.62x25 rounds were blowing the entire cases apart and sending lead cores EVERYWHERE. We decided to shoot two of them lengthwise, back-to-back. The rounds busted right through both of them. The severe penetration of this round is just incredible!

Aside from the sights, the first mod this gun is getting for sure is a customized thumb safety! That safety really bites my skin during long sessions, and sometimes the web of my thumb/index finger will cause it to flip up after a couple of magazines, of course without me knowing.

My eyesight fading too!

melloyello,
My eyesight is very very poor when it comes to focusing far out. Luckily, my company insurance kicks in on the 1st and I'll be making an eye appointment finally! You are definitely right on about the sights though- they suck for any long range work!......

I just started using reading glasses this last year so sights mean a lot to me now.

I'm planning to send one of my CZ-52s to Novak sights. He'll mill out the front and rear sights.
CZ52
There is also some better springs you can get at Reeds Ammo.
Wolfe 18.5# Spring, CZ-52 - Reed's Ammunition & Research, LLC

Those 7.62x25 rounds KICK BUTT!
I LOVE shooting my TT-33 and CZ-52s.
I really don't care that it is a 7.62 mm(.30 caliber) vice 9mm or 10mm.
Recoil is manageable and it will do some real damage.
AND ammo is still cheap....

BTW - if you are using corrosive ammo, recommend you not depend on Hoppes #9, unless you wash the barrel with soap and water first.

Thanks for the heads up on the corrosive, but I already knew. However anyone reading this thread that didn't know will have been helped. :)

I personally scrub the entire pistol in hot soapy water, let it flash dry and then proceed with normal cleaning.

I have a CZ-52 and it's as much fun to shoot, as watchin' monkees on Jack Daniels. I occassionally wear it in the military flap holster around the property for targets of opportunity. I popped a couple of rabbits with it last season and made a stew. Shot a wild dog chasing my chickens and took him down fast. I also have a 9mm conversion barrel for it and found it was reliable. Handy to have multiple calibers. I was thinking the other day, how much I wish that Glock would come out with a barrel or conversion unit in the 7.62 Tokarev. Imagine a G17 or 22 in 7.62 Tok! It's a hot little caliber and would be handy in the woods. If someone made some decent JHP's, it would be a nasty little defense round. It would also be cool to have a little carbine like the Ruger 10-22, chambered in it. I have a couple of packs of Mag-Safe rounds in the caliber, but haven't tested them yet. Have fun with it.

If someone made some decent JHP's, it would be a nasty little defense round. It would also be cool to have a little carbine like the Ruger 10-22, chambered in it. I have a couple of packs of Mag-Safe rounds in the caliber, but haven't tested them yet. Have fun with it.

Check out Reed's Ammo for HP 7.62x25, Reed's Ammunition & Research, LLC.

You can also wait and see if Wolf Gold makes any more JHP for 7.62x25

MidwayUSA Link Removed
J&G Sales Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back