Maximum State Reciprocity

For a lot of states like Oregon I think it is more about money than anything. I have both Utah and Oregon and although Utah's requires more specific training, Oregon doesn't recognize the Utah permit. In Oregon all you have to do is show a certificate that you took any gun safety class fill out the forms, finger prints, etc. and pay your money. This whole thing is frustrating knowing that policies driven by power, control, and greed could get me arrested if I get caught exercising my FEDERAL constitutional right to bear arms on the wrong side of a state line. God forbid, should that ever happen, I would then lose my right to bear arms all together as I would then be viewed as a felon by the laws in most states. How did we get so far from what our forefathers established in the Constitution? It is a sad and frustrating reality.

I agree with what everyone has been saying about jumping through flaming hoops (the size of thimbles most times) just tp be able to exercise our rights.... I'm in the military and sometimes it seems like the freedom we fight for keeps getting smaller and smaller. One day when the gov gets its way and totally bans guns this place will become like the old west with the BG just running around robbing everyone blind... hopefully that is not in my lifetime.

On another note I do think that military should get the same rights as leo for cc... with a twist though. You should only have to get one cc permit then your ID makes it legal anywhere. How many different forms of weapons "training" must you get where you are told the same thing over and over again.

Florida's Concealed Carry Reciprocity

PLEASE NOTE: The reciprocity information on this page is ALWAYS CURRENT. The Division of Licensing constantly monitors changing gun laws in other states and attempts to negotiate agreements as the laws in those states allow.

This list was last updated on September 4, 2009, when the State of NEBRASKA was added to the reciprocity list.

NOTE: EFFECTIVE July 1, 2009, NEVADA was no longer reciprocal with Florida. Authorities in Nevada notified the Division of Licensing that as of that date Nevada would no longer honor Florida concealed weapon licenses. Therefore, in accordance with the reciprocity provision set forth in section 790.015, Florida Statutes, Florida could no longer honor concealed weapon licenses issued by the State of Nevada.

It is important for license holders to understand that when they are traveling in or through another state they are subject to the firearm laws of that state. We have provided links to the state laws or to the licensing authorities' Web page of each of our reciprocity states so that licensees can do the necessary planning and research when preparing to travel.

FLORIDA'S RECIPROCITY STATES
Alabama (1,3,5)
Alaska (1)
Arizona (6)
Arkansas (1)
Colorado (1,4)
Delaware
Georgia (1)
Idaho (3,6)
Indiana (1,3,6)
Kansas (1)
Kentucky
Louisiana (1)
Michigan (1,4)
Mississippi (1)
Missouri
Montana (3)
Nebraska (1)
New Hampshire (1,3,4,6)
New Mexico (1)
North Carolina (1)
North Dakota (3,6)
Ohio (1)
Oklahoma (1)
Pennsylvania (1,6)
South Carolina (1,4,6)
South Dakota (1,3)
Tennessee (1,6)
Texas (1,3,6)
Utah (1,6)
Vermont (2)
Virginia (1,6)
West Virginia (1)
Wyoming (1,3)

I agree with what everyone has been saying about jumping through flaming hoops (the size of thimbles most times) just tp be able to exercise our rights.... I'm in the military and sometimes it seems like the freedom we fight for keeps getting smaller and smaller. One day when the gov gets its way and totally bans guns this place will become like the old west with the BG just running around robbing everyone blind... hopefully that is not in my lifetime.

On another note I do think that military should get the same rights as leo for cc... with a twist though. You should only have to get one cc permit then your ID makes it legal anywhere. How many different forms of weapons "training" must you get where you are told the same thing over and over again.

A good note along those lines is that active duty military are exempt from almost all of Georgia's gun laws. The NICs check is still required for firearms purchases unless you have a GFL.

Question

Ok so I need a little help. I am active duty military stationed in texas right now. I sent my paper work in to get my texas ccw (it will be a resident permit since I am military) but I have an OH drivers license and was told by my instructor that i dont need a texas drivers license because my military ID is what will make it ok. Now in a few months I am PCSing to CO, who from all the research I have done only except resident permits from texas. So do you think that I will have issues keeping my texas resident permit and using it in CO?

I agree but some may not be able to afford a permit from every state they travel in. I only have two, Georgia and Florida and it covers the states I travel in most. Haven't had any problems with LE yet.

Is one or the other a RESIDENT permit? If so, was the NON RESIDENT PERMIT (the other one) needed to be able to carry in the state you were stopped in?

Guess what I am saying is that my permits are non resident permits (I have six of them and two more coming) but not a one is recognized in, for example, Florida.

Is one or the other a RESIDENT permit? If so, was the NON RESIDENT PERMIT (the other one) needed to be able to carry in the state you were stopped in?

Guess what I am saying is that my permits are non resident permits (I have six of them and two more coming) but not a one is recognized in, for example, Florida.

Georgia only issues resident permits. There are a couple of states that only accept resident permits (Florida, Colorado, New Hampshire, and South Carolina). I got a Florida non-resident because it added New Mexico, West Virginia, and Virginia which I travel through regularly. It also added Kansas, Nebraska, Ohio, North Dakota, Maine, and Iowa which I don't travel through as much. I travel in South Carolina also but it doesn't accept either of my permits. If you plan on regular travel through any of the states that do not accept non-resident permits those are the main ones you need to try and get. The problem here is that several states issue only to residents.

Georgia only issues resident permits. There are a couple of states that only accept resident permits (Florida, Colorado, New Hampshire, and South Carolina). I got a Florida non-resident because it added New Mexico, West Virginia, and Virginia which I travel through regularly. It also added Kansas, Nebraska, Ohio, North Dakota, Maine, and Iowa which I don't travel through as much. I travel in South Carolina also but it doesn't accept either of my permits. If you plan on regular travel through any of the states that do not accept non-resident permits those are the main ones you need to try and get. The problem here is that several states issue only to residents.

You sure about Maine and Iowa honoring a non-res permit? Where did you get that information? I was under the impression that Maine only honored a very few resident permits. And I didn’t think Iowa honored anybody’s permit. Maybe I am confused on this? :unsure:

You sure about Maine and Iowa honoring a non-res permit? Where did you get that information? I was under the impression that Maine only honored a very few resident permits. And I didn’t think Iowa honored anybody’s permit. Maybe I am confused on this? :unsure:

My sincere apologies, you are correct about Maine and Iowa. I meant to say Delaware and got distracted and glanced at the map wrong. The main thing is to look at the states that do not accept non-resident permits, see if you travel through them regularly and they issue non-resident permits and obtain those. Have you looked at the reciprocity map here:

Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps

It is a great aide in deciding which permits you may need.

Take the time and effort to personally check the state gun laws yourself. Depend on nobody and no websites for that information (but as a lead up to your own research, no problem).

Each state has their own form of driver's license testing and requirements yet the DL's are recognized through the auspices of a federal statute that mandates every state recognize every other state's DL. Simple.

Surely we can trust one another sufficiently to do exactly the same with concealed carry permits (which should not be required but that is another story).

Final answer.

Some states, like Missouri automatically honor any state license and some states will only honor a license issued by that state.
The only way to carry in all states is to be a LEO under 218. Even some retired LEO can qualify.

But for a civilian probably being able to carry in more than 35 states will require more than two non-res licenses. Until Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin pass or amend their current laws, there will be a big blank spot.

This is what a Kansas resident and Utah non-res license get..

USA_Carry_Maps_snapshot.jpg

An interesting side note. In SC we do not have reciprocity with Georgia, who geographically right next door. The reason is simple, SC doesn't want Georgia CWP holders carrying in our state because the testing standards for obtaining a permit in Georgia are not up to SC standards.

Not saying I agree, its just interesting to note the politics between states which prevent reciprocity.
So CMJ...
I'm a resident (that'a where I vote) of Montana, but I 'live' in both Montana and Florida. I have a Montana CWP and a Florida CWFL. Now there really is no such thing as a Florida Non-Resident CWFL. It is simply a FL CWFL issued to someone that shows an address NOT in the State of FL. There is no difference in procedure or in the 'requirements' to obtain one between an FL resident, and someone who reside outside FL. And I can also say this... form MY perspective, there is no difference in the 'requirements' to obtain a MT CWP and a FL CWFL - same DD-214, same background check, and same fingerprints. ;)

Now for SOME REASON, SC does not honor MT CWP's (Montana honors SC though). SC does honor FL CWFL's but ONLY if the address on the CWFL is inside the state of Florida. But here's the "Coup de grâce"... SC honors a VA permit, but you can get a VA permit by ONLY TAKING AN ON-LINE course. Yep, the "Standars" associated with an on-line course must be much more regirous than serving 360 days in a Combat Zone!

So it really can't be "Standards" since as i pointed out, the standards are the same, it's just petty BS poliitics (imo), and that's why I am very strong proponent of "National Right to Carry" and why when I had the opportunity to personally tell a US Senator that voted NO on the bill last summer, that while I respected his service, I think that got that vote completely wrong.

Ok so I need a little help. I am active duty military stationed in texas right now. I sent my paper work in to get my texas ccw (it will be a resident permit since I am military) but I have an OH drivers license and was told by my instructor that i dont need a texas drivers license because my military ID is what will make it ok. Now in a few months I am PCSing to CO, who from all the research I have done only except resident permits from texas. So do you think that I will have issues keeping my texas resident permit and using it in CO?

I think you shoud TRY get some information from the CO AG's office. I think there is enough of a question there that I would be very careful. An alternative is to get a TX DL.

Each state has their own form of driver's license testing and requirements yet the DL's are recognized through the auspices of a federal statute that mandates every state recognize every other state's DL. Simple.

Surely we can trust one another sufficiently to do exactly the same with concealed carry permits (which should not be required but that is another story).

Final answer.

Back In the 50's my granparents vacation traveled every year. I remember hearing stories from them of being stopped and told my GP's DL was not valid "in that state", but that the Local Yokel Cop just happened to be selling "That States" DL and oh by the way you could take care of your "Driving without a License" fine on the spot too!

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back